Thread: Battery technology. Changing fast.

Default Battery technology. Changing fast.

"Charging" ahead, so to speak.

One of the big kickback points from the anti electric car people, is the issue around mining lithium from which to make batteries, and the disposal of the batteries when their useful life is over.
    I'm already seeing a rapid rise in companies recycling them which will much reduce the disposal issue, but the development in the link below would really reduce both the materials sourcing and the recycling issue, as well as giving the cars a lot more range with much faster recharge.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/0...g-in-2020.html

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: Battery technology. Changing fast.

Of course if you have 30 minute charging of a 100 kilowatt e-car battery you need a charging station capable of delivering 200 Kw per hour. At a 240 volt standard that is an eight hundred+ amp charging current which will require something like double 4/0 charging cables and a hell for big charging connector. Basically a road side fast charging station with multiple charging points would pretty much need its own electrical substation with some pretty hefty transformers.

i was reading about graphene battery tech about 7-8 years ago. glad to see they're getting it into a useful application. from what i was reading about it back then it sounded like it had HUGE potential to shift how we do everything.

And graphene can turn into graphane when it's used to store hydrogen...which might be the way this material makes its way into our cars. My back-of-an-envelope suggests a potential storage density equal to that of liquid hydrogen, but with the added benefit of room temperature.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    Of course if you have 30 minute charging of a 100 kilowatt e-car battery you need a charging station capable of delivering 200 Kw per hour. At a 240 volt standard that is an eight hundred+ amp charging current which will require something like double 4/0 charging cables and a hell for big charging connector. Basically a road side fast charging station with multiple charging points would pretty much need its own electrical substation with some pretty hefty transformers.

This is already happening. The new Tesla super chargers are 250 kW and there are banks of them. A charging station has several megawatts capability.

And it needs to live in the garage, with fido the dog, the kids getting on their bikes and mom doing the wash.

Not " anti," at all; just acknowledging the practical realities.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    And it needs to live in the garage, with fido the dog, the kids getting on their bikes and mom doing the wash.

Not " anti," at all; just acknowledging the practical realities.

Kevin

Several of my neighbors keep electric cars on the driveway, run the charge cable under the door.

An overnight charger in the garage is much more humble. The 30 minute super charger is located in Centralia near a Starbucks, half way between Seattle and Portland.

Several of my neighbors keep electric cars on the driveway, run the charge cable under the door.
    Makes it easy for the mice and slugs to get in, eh?

Oh, I'm just teasing.

But, for all the money and technology, we have people running cables under partially-open doors. Better solutions need to be emplaced.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    This is already happening. The new Tesla super chargers are 250 kW and there are banks of them. A charging station has several megawatts capability.
    That's similar to 10 medium-size arc welders running simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    And graphene can turn into graphane when it's used to store hydrogen...which might be the way this material makes its way into our cars. My back-of-an-envelope suggests a potential storage density equal to that of liquid hydrogen, but with the added benefit of room temperature.

Andy
    Adsorbtion is an interesting way to store gaseous fuel. Even natural gas is problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Have any pole or ground transformers exploded yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    Norway has a ferry named Ampere that requires holding batteries on each end of the run since the local grid can't support direct charging.

https://archive.nordregio.se/en/Publ...per/index.html
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Makes it easy for the mice and slugs to get in, eh?

Oh, I'm just teasing.

But, for all the money and technology, we have people running cables under partially-open doors. Better solutions need to be emplaced.

Kevin
    I snapped this on my way to work a few minutes ago. My neighbor down the street has two Model 3 (garage is full of boats). Apparently he has one charge cable and swaps between the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    Have any pole or ground transformers exploded yet?
    okay, once again. Home chargers are trickle chargers overnight, not super chargers. Although I’m not in the market for a Tesla, I’m constantly amazed at how many need to take cheap shots at it.

The charging issue is pretty simple--a standard 115 V household outlet at 15 amps is 1.6 kW. That's about 40 hours to charge a smallish electric car battery. Installing a 220V charge halves the time. You still need quite a long time charging to keep up with a driving cycle that taps out the battery. Still, most people drive 80 miles a day or so on average, so it works out well for local errands or a typical commute to work. Attempting a longer trip is another story. The batteries have a charging rate limit, and the power needed to recharge quickly is enormous.