Thread: Stuart Turner motor

Default Stuart Turner motor

Good afternoon,

my Holman 26 was originally fitted with a Stuart Turner 5 ME, that is a small single cylinder gasoline motor. it lasted until the mid 1990's when it was replaced with a Beta Marine 10, a 2 cylinder Diesel. it is shoehorned into the compartment-I had to have the engine pulled to deal with a dodgy starter.

Now the ST has a poor reputation, generally for fouled spark plugs or a damp magneto (the precursor to the alternator). but they are otherwise very robust, with far fewer moving parts. Parts themselves are pretty easy to come by, and they can be remanufactured if necessary. They also can be crank started. A rebuild will cost me about 1500 quid, which is similar to the cost of the works that the Beta needs.

Has anyone gone hair shirt purist and installed a vintage motor in their vintage (1963) yacht

Default Re: Stuart Turner motor

Talisman (1959) has a Vire 12 for auxiliary power. Going strong so far.

I have owned a twin and completly rebuilt a Stuart Turner 4hp single. At one point years ago I had an account with them at Henley on Thames.
    A very nice engine, but not much power for the weight. (16:1 fuel ratio)
    The biggest problem with the few that I have worked on was they were raw water cooled, the not so obvious zincs were never changed, the head and cylinder water jackets were badly corroded, and those two items are difficult to source or reproduce. When I rebuilt the first one you could still buy those parts new.
    Look it over carefully after you disassemble it. Remove the head, and the covers on the expansion chamber and note how much corrosion is present. After you clean out the sick iron there may not be enough left to work with.
    The magneto problems were largely the old fashioned hand wound coils getting salt saturated. It would be rare they were not submerged at least once in their life! The more modern replacement coils are cast in resin and were no problem.
    I eventually because of pinholes in the copper I had to make a float for the carburetor, no longer available. Probably originally sourced from Amal. This was all long before the internet, and a replacement float may be available now!
    https://www.stationaryengineparts.co...N-RKC-525.html

If economics are part of the equation,what would the change in insurance premium be for the more volatile fuel?

Re ignition probs. Converting to a coil, using the magneto contacts, can be a big improvement.

I am old enough to have owned and hated two single cylinder Stuarts in sucession.

When Mirelle was being built, in 1937, Philip Allen wanted to specify a Stuart Turner; the designer (William Blake) and the builder (Claude Whisstock) both ganged up on him and strong armed him into buying a Kelvin E2 at twice the price. Philip told me how grateful he had been for their advice.

Rebuild the Beta.

If you must have a Stuart P 5 ME, be very sure to:

1. Have a plug spanner handy at all times

2. Have a couple of clean cold plugs immediately handy

3. Be sure that the gauze on the drip tray under the tickle carburetter is intact.

4. Always hand start it.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 08-16-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

If I were gonna run a vintage motor, which is probably anything pre-1970 as far as parts and knowledge availability goes... I'd want to rebuild it myself, so I know it inside out, and collect a good supply of spares, some of which would be on the boat with me if I was going very far. If I didn't want to be bothered, I'd use a more modern motor that an average marina can deal with.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.