Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haircut rant...

Default Haircut rant...

I had begun to wonder why it takes the best part of an hour and 30 bucks for a 5 dollar, 5 minute haircut, until I noticed that getting a haircut has now become some sort of social event where barbers and clients try to solve all the world's troubles while delving into each others personal lives. Then there's often some "blouse" in the chair dictating which hair (singular) to cut or not, and how short/long. For chrissake!

Haircuts are seldom high on my list of priorities (maybe 3 or 4 times a year) until it gets a bit unruly I'll go for just a bit of a tidy-up, off the neck, ears and a couple of mavericks off the top sort of thing.

For the longest time there was only one barber in this town, and regardless of what style of haircut anyone asked for, they all came out with a "short-back-n-sides". Now there are at least 4 barbers around, one of which has set up on a roadside layby just outside town in a caravan. Good trick I thought, went there once, came out with a No. 3 buzz-cut all over. Not going back there.
    Went to a newish one in town, sat down to wait for the kid in the chair to get finished. When he came to the counter to pay, the girl asked him how old he was, he said he was eleven, she said "that will be nineteen dollars thank you". I was about 65 at the time so I got up and left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PnIuo4diqY

Default Re: Haircut rant...

I had a laugh at your punchline!
    Here's your video clip:

If you cant make it accurate, make it adjustable.

Ask your doctor if 'OlPhartium' is right for you.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Bought a set of clippers about ten years ago after I went in to one of those fancy haircut places. Told them to trim me up some and came out looking like a Marine trainee and charged $20. Wife has gotten pretty good at cutting my hair, she is kinda getting over that what if I mess it up thing. I tell her it will grow back just cut it.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

I still have access to a 'traditional' barber. He's retired too, and busier than ever in the back of his garage.

Quote Originally Posted by normil View Post
    I had begun to wonder why it takes the best part of an hour and 30 bucks for a 5 dollar, 5 minute haircut, ...
    I am not sure that working 5 minutes each hour for $5 is a better business model than working 55 minutes each hour for $30.

My barber makes $50-60/hour gross. Works 4 days a week. Does a good job. About 45 minutes to wash my hair and trim it. I think that is a decent income for a self employed person.
    Life is complex.

I go to 'Dave and Vinny's' barbershop.... a traditional men's shop. Vinny was the founder, but he's now retired, and Dave runs the place.

The tab is $18, or $15 for senior citizens (over 62). I never asked for the discount, but lately, I see they've been giving me the discount anyhow. I tip generously. They take probably less than 10 minutes on me, since I really don't have all that much hair to cut.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

I cut my own hair and do a far better job than any barber I've had, only takes me 30 minutes as opposed to the hour and a half between waiting and travel.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

I am a logger from Coos Bay Oregon, quite possibly the meanest man alive, that will work.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I am not sure that working 5 minutes each hour for $5 is a better business model than working 55 minutes each hour for $30.

My barber makes $50-60/hour gross. Works 4 days a week. Does a good job. About 45 minutes to wash my hair and trim it. I think that is a decent income for a self employed person.
    I think your wrong, $50-60 an hour with insurance, rent, equipment, cleaning, maintenance, supplies, taxes, health insurance, water, sewage, electric, i'll bet he's not taking home $40k.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    I think your wrong, $50-60 an hour with insurance, rent, equipment, cleaning, maintenance, supplies, taxes, health insurance, water, sewage, electric, i'll bet he's not taking home $40k.
    I'll bet the same.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Don't know where you guys go. Place I go to charges $8.00 for a buzz cut, and $12.00 for a scissors cut. I go when a thirty-something lady named Tameka is on duty. We chat for about ten minutes, and she's done. I pay $12.00 for the scissors cut, and give her a $3.00 tip. I only get a haircut every 3 months, so I can afford to splurge.
    "We all have a gift, Frank. Yours will reveal itself. Eventually."

I worked with a guy who always had his hair neatly trimmed. He did it himself with the "flow bee system" coupled to his vacuum cleaner. I'm too cheap to buy and try; my wife cuts mine, out on the porch for easy clean up.

fullsizeoutput_35d3.jpg

We charge $140 + a $35 tip, but then again we deal with fur & fangs and do a lot more than a 5 min haircut

As for me - I haven’t been to a barber in 30 years.

HipstamaticPhoto-584223366.082244.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Don't know where you guys go. Place I go to charges $8.00 for a buzz cut, and $12.00 for a scissors cut. I go when a thirty-something lady named Tameka is on duty. We chat for about ten minutes, and she's done. I pay $12.00 for the scissors cut, and give her a $3.00 tip. I only get a haircut every 3 months, so I can afford to splurge.
    There are no real barber shops in my area anymore, it is all like the supercuts places. Last time I went the girl as me what size guard do you want, I said you are the barber why are you asking me.

And what do you suppose tameka is making 20k even 30k after taxes, depending on the place she will have booth rental, supplies, I have a couple of friends in the business it's very convenient because they can schedule around kids so that's a bonus but none of them is making a wage that could carry a family. The gal I know who is doing the best comes to private homes if you have 3 people wanting cuts, no wash $18 and out in 40 minutes, no over head but clippers and a car. I'm pretty sure as she requires cash taxes are minimal. Very attractive gal I'm sure that helps.

And what do you suppose tameka is making 20k even 30k after taxes, depending on the place she will have booth rental, supplies, I have a couple of friends in the business it's very convenient because they can schedule around kids so that's a bonus but none of them is making a wage that could carry a family. The gal I know who is doing the best comes to private homes if you have 3 people wanting cuts, no wash $18 and out in 40 minutes, no over head but clippers and a car. I'm pretty sure as she requires cash taxes are minimal. Very attractive gal I'm sure that helps.
    Let me add each

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    . . . Last time I went the girl as me what size guard do you want, I said you are the barber why are you asking me.
    Oooo, I had an experience with that. Remember the haircut pic I posted a few years back? I told her to use a number 7 guide (7/8"). Apparently, she never learned how to read, or flunked basic Arithmetic, cuz she sure as hell didn't use a number 7! Took a month to look somewhat normal (as much as I can).

$15 - done in 15 minutes & I get to talk to the gal about sugaring (making maple syrup). I get one every couple of months & figure it's less expensive than many things I do. Of course on a per hair basis it's about 20x as expensive as it was 30 years ago - not counting inflation!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I cut my sweetie's hair. Started years ago after she was unhappy with the third stylist in a row. At $20 - 50 a pop... it made sense to try. I'd always done the kids hair. She was ecstatic. One time in our lives I did precisely what she told me to do... with no lip <G>

I go to a nice young Vietnamese woman who recently raised her rates from $8 to $10. I'd urged her to for over a year, but she was afraid of losing customers. She said no customers had left that she'd noticed. I said it was because she was still a bargain.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Oooo, I had an experience with that. Remember the haircut pic I posted a few years back? I told her to use a number 7 guide (7/8"). Apparently, she never learned how to read, or flunked basic Arithmetic, cuz she sure as hell didn't use a number 7! Took a month to look somewhat normal (as much as I can).

My Marine cut was due to a line of gray just over my ear, she was trying to cut that out. Well as that got shorter the rest of the hair had to match

I go to Orlando's. Its a local barber shop with three chairs and you'll find a mom with kids, local businessmen, retired guys, and everyone in between. Usually a good place to find out what fish is running. (At least as good as the tackle shop across the street for that). Its 18 bucks and I usually tip five.

Barber Joke:

One barbershop in town put up a sign attacking the fancy salon down the block.
    The sign said, "Why pay twenty dollars? We give haircuts for two dollars."
    The salon got even by putting up a sign of its own stating, "We repair two-dollar haircuts!"

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Some people enjoy the time off.
    Life is complex.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Jerry Clower ~ The Pessimistic Barber

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Some people enjoy the time off.
    Just a little off the top.

Didn't Bill Clinton set the record for haircut cost - in Air Force One, on the runway? Or, am I dreamin' 'em up now?

Meanwhile... I'm off to the barber for a haircut, ear shave and beard trim this morning. My barber is 75 years old. Has to work to put food on the table.

He will take a good hour to do it. He uses rosin (sp?) on a brush around the hairline - and a cutthroat razor - new blade each time these days.

It's like stepping back into the '60's - or earlier. Cast iron chair - padded of course... but it gets laid back to the horizontal for some parts of the job.

Six bucks - up 25% from when I first started going there 7 years ago - but I always throw in a good tip.

Most memorable haircut I ever had was about 40 years ago - and it landed me in hospital.... but that's another story.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

What's a barber? When hair sticks out too much somewhere I cut it off. Just a snip and a nip, and avoid anything that will cause a yip, and presto--I'm beautiful again...

Jeff C

I wonder how much trump spends on his "hair"?

When I was a young feller my old barber celebrated being in the job for fifty years. When he started he charged sixpence- five cents- for a hair cut, so to celebrate fifty years he went back to charging sixpence- but it had to be real silver sixpence.
    I had about an inch- just the split ends- trimmed off my hair about ten years ago. Probably needs doing again now. I think I've paid for three hair cuts in the last thirty years. JayInOz

I'm shattered. The barber shop is shuttered up. Ugh
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Mid 80's a couple of years after I'd made it through boot camp, we had the choice of going to the grumpy old airbase barber (aka the gnome) for about three bucks - #4, #4, or a #4.
    Or we could visit the spectacularly endowed young lady across the road from base, who would cut your hair any way you thought you could get away with, for about double that. It was a tragedy when she moved elsewhere.
    I reckon there are maybe fifty people on the entire planet who would know that the question, "the gnome or a titrub", referred to ones chosen haircut venue at RNZAF Wigram Airbase, circa 1986. I guess we weren't a terribly PC lot, back then .

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

My barber shop has been the most constant thing in my life. Same spot since 1982. Starting my 3rd barber. Sad watching them get old.

The best barber I ever had was while I was living in Bristol. He went by the name of "Frenchie", an ex-navy guy, rarely used scissors, did everything with a straight-razor, all while singing opera.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

I have been cutting my own for years. Clippers with no guard over the whole head and face.