Thread: The ABC's of our Republic!

Default The ABC's of our Republic!

NY-8, MO-6th //// CA-3rd, OH-10, MO-6th //// OR-5th, IL-4th, CT-1st, AL-1st, MO-6th,MO -8th

A Gerrymandered puzzle

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: The ABC's of our Republic!

Oh boy, Rorschach tests!Gotta love those ink blots. California looks like a wolf, Indiana a microscope, Oregon the letter "T",other Californian district, a woman's ovaries, Illinois, a sway back horse.

How about the others, any suggestions?
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 08-13-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Are the empty places in the middle of the Rorschach blots where the cities are?
    Last edited by mmd; 08-13-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Arethe empty places in the middle of the Rorschach blots where the cities are?
    Probably Sanctuary Cities holding illegal immigrants that can't vote.

Often times yes!

The courts ordered a VA-3 redrawn, but at one time it represented the City of Richmond and the City of Norfolk. The distance is roughly 90 miles between the two. Part of the district was only 500 yards wide and stretched for miles. It ran down the center of the James River not touching either bank. They can get most ingenious to snatch majorities or more often in the case of the VA-3 to make sure the metropolises had to share their vote.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    A Gerrymandered puzzle
    Clearly you are objecting to the shape of the districts. That leads to a question.

If the districts were drawn as you think they should be drawn, would you be happy if the election results were identical to the current election results - that is one party had disproportionate representation?

I can imagine voters identifying as rural v. urban. I can imagine that the rural districts would look like swiss cheese. And the urban districts look like a disjoint set. Those districts might match the population much better than whatever your algorithm might prefer.

Perhaps we could give everyone a small number of votes and let them cast them for at large candidates. But then I am sure that the majority party would get disproportionate representation.

The shape of districts is only important because we as a nation have drifted away from common goals. The winner tends to take all. Not quite what most of us want to think about a democracy.
    Life is complex.

Although I understand your frustration and appreciate your response, Skip, I was being facetious in my question.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by too little time View Post
    clearly you are objecting to the shape of the districts. That leads to a question.

If the districts were drawn as you think they should be drawn, would you be happy if the election results were identical to the current election results - that is one party had disproportionate representation?

I can imagine voters identifying as rural v. Urban. I can imagine that the rural districts would look like swiss cheese. And the urban districts look like a disjoint set. Those districts might match the population much better than whatever your algorithm might prefer.

Perhaps we could give everyone a small number of votes and let them cast them for at large candidates. But then i am sure that the majority party would get disproportionate representation.

The shape of districts is only important because we as a nation have drifted away from common goals. The winner tends to take all. Not quite what most of us want to think about a democracy.

tn-4, ny-8, az-6,oh-4,oh-10,ca-3, tn-4
    Skip

Vermont imprevious to gerrymanding!
    Why?
    Because our population is so small, the entire state is just one big district.
    Yep. While we have two U.S. senators, we only have one congress person.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

What, over half, thirteen and a half drawn by dimocrats.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

^exactly, it is a national problem. Not one owned by one party it disservices us all.

Districts should be drawn by nonpartisan committee using mathematical algorithms.
    Skip

nj's 5th is not bad.. most of it is rural with Bergan county offsetting it in blue. The 6th, 10th, and 13th are much worse. I live down in the 2nd, the largest district by area
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Clearly you are objecting to the shape of the districts. That leads to a question.

At least that would be an honest result, rather than the result of political corruption.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Can you post the outline of NY-14?
    It is interestingly discontinuous, including parts of two counties, on both sides of Long Island Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    At least that would be an honest result, rather than the result of political corruption.
    There are few honest results. Mostly what we want v what they want. And we are always right. Regardless of the side we are on.
    Life is complex.

That's cute, but many of them don't seem gerrymandered at all. Some are quite simple and compact, and without knowing what's in the blank spaces, others are impossible to judge. A lake or bay has no voters.

Consider that states themselves are gerrymandered - not deliberately, but historical accidents that give far more power to some voters for no good reason.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Consider that states themselves are gerrymandered - not deliberately, but historical accidents that give far more power to some voters for no good reason.
    Many boundaries are along rivers or lakes. That tends to separate voters who have a common interest. But they don't teach that in school or make a big deal about it in the news.
    Life is complex.

^ so, should we put you down as "in favor of gerrymandering"?

or was that just a random statement?
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    ^ so, should we put you down as "in favor of gerrymandering"?

or was that just a random statement?
    It was a comment showing that I believe gerrymandering happens. I don't think any of the algorithms will do much good in preventing the problem you see.

The problem I see is that the 2 parties are working for the 1% and the 19% below the 1%. That puts them at odds with the 80%.

We have an historical problem. The design of the government is not suitable for the current parties.
    Life is complex.