Thread: Using household primer?

Default Using household primer?

I am wondering if anyone has experience with exterior grade household primers like Bin, Xim, etc, etc. They come in oil or water based versions. This would be for painted cockpit surfaces. Some of the surfaces are epoxy sealed, others are sealed with Interlux wood sealer. I also laid a canvas deck using the Titebond II technique described in WB #208 and don't want to fill the weave of the cloth, but rather leave the texture for traction. So I want to prime it with something thin before Kirby Low-Luster paint. Your Thoughts?

Ken

Default Re: Using household primer?

Old timers often used common shellac as a primer. I have had reasonable success with it.

What does Kirby recommend as a primer for their Low Luster? Might the Low Luster itself be thinned and used as a primer?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Maybe no primer if your aim is to not fill the weave.

Epoxy is considered an excellent primer...

Bin? I have a mantra "Bin sticks to epoxy, everything else sticks to Bin!". I've found that applying Bin over semi-green epoxy has not impeded it's adhesion for my requiremebts, so is a useful tool for UV protection in outdoor applications. My experience is only with shellac-based Bin.

Bin does not stick to yellow cedar. / Jim

Primer is used to fill the grain. If you wish to retain the traction of the canvas, use very thin low luster paint and only apply enough to produce an even color. When the paint weathers to the point of showing uneven color, apply another very thin coat. This avoids making the canvas paint sick. Kirby's low luster paint is just the ticket for this job! Turpentine is the thinner to use.
    Jay

What Jay said. (Again!) If Kirby's isn't readily available, I've had satisfactory results with Rustoleum flat white, thinned well. It lasts a reasonably long time and chalks off evenly.

Ok, what I got in this thread is to use Turps-thinned Kirby's over my Titebond II sealed canvas, yes? I also hear yes on shellac-based primer (BIN), but fwiw the can says mainly Interior, but ok for "Spot Priming" exterior.... ? ..... btw, there are many praises for Kirby's product support on the web, but my experience in regards to thinner and primer was that the dude said "we don't recommend any products but our own" ...not very helpful when one ships a kilo-mile from the vendor.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kbowen View Post
    Ok, what I got in this thread is to use Turps-thinned Kirby's over my Titebond II sealed canvas, yes? I also hear yes on shellac-based primer (BIN), but fwiw the can says mainly Interior, but ok for "Spot Priming" exterior.... ? ..... btw, there are many praises for Kirby's product support on the web, but my experience in regards to thinner and primer was that the dude said "we don't recommend any products but our own" ...not very helpful when one ships a kilo-mile from the vendor.

Ken

Ok, since I wrote the above, I phoned Kirby again and either got a different guy, or got the same guy in a different mood, and he was all cool: no primer, thin with turpentine for the first coat... go'figger.. I am still interested in your experience:

Ken