Thread: Shrimp “sound?

Default Shrimp “sound?

Went for a 2 hour row this morning. Was a HOT one. A couple of times I stopped to take a water break and heard an add noise coming through the hull of the Whitehall. Almost like popcorn popping. No other boats around.
    Only happened a couple times. Think I need to bring along a cast net next time. I’ve heard that shrimp do make a similar sound.

Another sound I heard was the warning siren at Paris Island for “black flag conditions” I think then they get to a certain heat/humidity they limit training activity. I know when I got done I could wring my shirt and shorts out!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Shrimp “sound?

I grew up visiting and later lived for a while in Beaufort. It may well be shrimp. Or mainly shrimp. I only relatively recently learned about the large quantity of big shrimp that can be caught on the bottom of deep creeks and rivers if you can get a net down there. We always shrimped in smaller shallower creeks. But then there are always many other sounds mixed in, too. The marsh is just so teeming, bubbling, and popping with life that it can have an almost electric hum to it. And I've had the same experience of it seeming magnified in small open boat. The tides and distances down there call for powerboats if you want to go anywhere (and get back), but the joy of the place for me is always the quiet marsh. Never a dull trip. Glad you're enjoying it.

You’re not kidding about the tides. I plan my rows around them. Had some help on the way back today and was making 5.5 knots at times!

No trouble believing that. Always amazes me the amount of water washing in an out of the marsh every day. If no chance to plan, I was usually just as happy to yield to it and head out in whichever direction ensured the tide would be carrying me home.

I've noted your catboat thread too, by the way. Beauty. Hope you'll have that to play with in the fall. Never sailed any, but catboats in general seem a great fit for the area.

Nick I've heard the electric hum of life in the Summer marsh too . Fecund to the extreme . Produces more biomass per acre than an Iowa Cornfield . Roseate Spoonbills have moved into south Georgia in recent years ; are you seeing any of them up there Mark ? I was drifting in the Georgia marsh this Spring ; fishing with a friend ; when a Loggerhead turtle suddenly broke the still surface near by with her head and neck ; took one gasp of air and went back down .We were left gaping .

Trailering to strategically selected launch points at strategically selected times is one way to work with the tides . That's part of the fun of paddle and oar boats I think . That would be good with a displacement power boat as well . I've looked at the chart "Charleston Harbor and it's approaches " , thinking it would be interesting to launch at one of the ramps way up the Edisto River and come down with the tide .

Snapping shrimp are the bane of acoustic researchers. And on some boats, a good night's sleep. Goblin's hull shifted the pitch and the volume deeper and louder so more like booms than snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by NickN View Post
    No trouble believing that. Always amazes me the amount of water washing in an out of the marsh every day. If no chance to plan, I was usually just as happy to yield to it and head out in whichever direction ensured the tide would be carrying me home.

I've noted your catboat thread too, by the way. Beauty. Hope you'll have that to play with in the fall. Never sailed any, but catboats in general seem a great fit for the area.
    William Cheney, author of Penelope Down East lives just a few miles away for 1/2 the year and sails a catboat here as well. In fact there are about 9 catboats within a few miles of me. It’s a good design for the waters here and I’m looking forward to splashing her. Was just out in the shop doing a bit of paint removal on her rub rails. Pretty hot in the shop in the afternoon here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Snapping shrimp are the bane of acoustic researchers. And on some boats, a good night's sleep. Goblin's hull shifted the pitch and the volume deeper and louder so more like booms than snaps.
    Well I won’t feel at all bad about enjoying them with a bit of cocktail sauce and a local brew then. I want to do my part!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Another sound I heard was the warning siren at Paris Island for “black flag conditions” I think then they get to a certain heat/humidity they limit training activity. I know when I got done I could wring my shirt and shorts out!
    It's a heat index scale, comparing dry and wet bulb temps. You also have green, yellow and red flags.

Green is good.

At yellow, they begin restricting, usually based on activity and phase of training (i.e. how long a recruit has been on the island).

Red stops more training. Black stops pretty much everything, except the Crucible. Sweat saves blood.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Many are the quiet rigged for red nights I've spent as a sonarman on watch in the north sea and north of Russia where my only contact with the outside world was the sound of snapping shrimp and the odd whale fart. They sound like a crackling fire on good equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Well I won’t feel at all bad about enjoying them with a bit of cocktail sauce and a local brew then. I want to do my part!
    You'll need a LOT of them to make a snack. Snapping, or Pistol, Shrimp are pretty small. I have one in my aquarium where it has a symbiotic relationship with a goby. The goby sees well and guards while the shrimp digs the burrow. (not my photo)

Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Pistol Shrimp use that snapping sound to stun their prey. Environmental intrusion has all but elimiated them in S. Ca. They would keep me awake at night when I was a kid on my Dad's boat. Not heard much anymore!
    Jay

Snapping shrimp use their claws to create a pulse that stuns their prey. I have read that for a nanosecond the heat created is hotter than the surface of the Sun.

Temperature like the surface of the sun? Not quite believing I looked about and found a nice article. http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160...-lethal-weapon Seems it's true.

Around here, the sound of amorous carp on the hull can keep you awake.

This is what they sound like: https://ocr.org/ocr/wp-content/uploads/Snapping-Shrimp.mp4

https://youtu.be/ONQlTMUYCW4b short and dry description
    https://youtu.be/ZJm0npZAk3o long but easier to tolerate. Interesting that this was discovered around 2000. Makes me wonder how they knew it and treated it as old hat in 1973. I guess physicists never did listen to biologists.

200nm UV light, so 6000K is about right for blackbody radiation. The writing here is clear as mud. I might not have understood it, but I'm not making it up: https://www.physics.ncsu.edu/weninger/SLreview.pdf They talk about temperatures in the 1/2 to 10 ev range 1 ev = 11,604.525K Since the light is dim and in the UV you can't see it. Maybe a little fluorescence dye would help to see a flash.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 08-17-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

are not snapping shrimp the loudest creatures in the sea when taken as a whole?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

We use mantis shrimp for bait on occasion. They'll split open your thumb if they whack you.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    are not snapping shrimp the loudest creatures in the sea when taken as a whole?

Google search reveals that the loudest animal on earth is the Blue Whale, at 230 db-A. Snapping shrimp are right there though.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.