Thread: Can you identify this sailboat?

Default Can you identify this sailboat?

Greetings To All,
    I truly appreciate the beauty, character and skill of a wood constructed boat, but am a newbie. I recently purchased a small trailer for an old dingy we'd like to restore. The trailer I found included this unused, beautifully constructed sailboat. It's approximately 11 feet long and looks like a museum piece. I'm hoping those here can help me rig it with suggestions on what I need to safely sail this beauty. I'm not sure where to start, but i'd like to sail her this fall. I'll update this thread with more detailed measurements, but wanted to know if anyone recognizes the design/plan? I have a main sail and head sail, two masts with protrusions on each end that obviously are from another small sailboat. Neither fit the tabernacle as it needs to be sanded to allow the rivet heads to slide into the receptacle on the sole. I'm not sure what height the mast should be or if I can use other small FG sailboat parts to complete. This boat is exquisite in its construction! Thank you for any input!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by juliet delta; 08-13-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Default Re: Can you identify this sailboat?

Welcome aboard!
    That certainly is pretty, I think someone here will be able to identify it.

Thank you! I agree, The amount of skill and effort in this little gem is what piqued my interest. She's never been in the water either. I'm also trying to determine if there's a fiberglass finish or if this is just gelcoat of some sort. I can observe what looks to be a weave in the transom though, but i could be wrong. More detailed pics to follow. Thanks again to all here. Very impressive work here.

Nice boat! Too short for a Blue Jay which are 13' 6".

By Golly, that does look like her! Thank you!. Hopefully this book will show the primary rigging and whether I need a topping lift. The idea of mainsail loops are similar to a sunfish, but our mast/sail has a track in the mast a rope sewn in to the luff, but perhaps should have sail tracks sewn in for strength. This book cover is very useful. Thank you again.

I'm guessing that whoever built the boat used a standard mast extrusion and you'll find that the luff rope fits nicely into the groove in the mast. Very few boats this size use a topping lift.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I'm guessing that whoever built the boat used a standard mast extrusion and you'll find that the luff rope fits nicely into the groove in the mast. Very few boats this size use a topping lift.
    Thanks John. I sometimes like a topping lift if I need to de-power quickly, so the boom and sail don't drape all over the cockpit, but agree it's probably not needed in this size. The two piece mast has both male and female connections and is about 14 feet high. I will use the luff rope to secure sail. Any thoughts on diameter/length of side stays and front stay? Thanks for all the useful input. I ordered the book from your previous comment. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by juliet delta View Post
    Thanks John. I sometimes like a topping lift if I need to de-power quickly, so the boom and sail don't drape all over the cockpit, but agree it's probably not needed in this size. The two piece mast has both male and female connections and is about 14 feet high. I will use the luff rope to secure sail. Any thoughts on diameter/length of side stays and front stay? Thanks for all the useful input. I ordered the book from your previous comment. Thank you.
    With modern low-stretch line, you can rig the boat a lot more easily than in the days of wire and swaging. On the Port Townsend 15, for example, they use a couple of metal rings as deadeyes instead of having tunbuckles. And because this is all done with knots and line, no special equipment is needed. You can set up the rig, measure, and cut.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    With modern low-stretch line, you can rig the boat a lot more easily than in the days of wire and swaging. On the Port Townsend 15, for example, they use a couple of metal rings as deadeyes instead of having tunbuckles. And because this is all done with knots and line, no special equipment is needed. You can set up the rig, measure, and cut.
    Great ideas! I'm thinking Dyneema @ 3/16th or 9mm, but how does one tension the stays? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by juliet delta View Post
    Great ideas! I'm thinking Dyneema @ 3/16th or 9mm, but how does one tension the stays? Thanks.
    use a couple of metal rings as deadeyes