Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating a small boat

Default Heating a small boat

Is there a small heater available to heat the interior of a small 22 yacht. Diesel??
    Ive seen the Dickinson but thats too big!!
    how much current does a Webasto need.

Any others out there?

Default Re: Heating a small boat

Heating? Are you planning on heading south?

No direct info to give, but sort of related, my little boat is fully insulated with polystyrene. She is well cosy in cold conditions (and remains cool for a good while in summer). I am planning to do similar in my bigger little boat. If you're looking for comfort, insulation is worthwhile.

Chinese diesel heaters are cheap and effective. Copy of eberspachers. They seem to work provided you run them hard. They don't like to run on low. They draw quite a bit of current to start up. Then not bad once they are running. They are a bit noisy, like a small jet taking off. Very comforting. They can hide in a locker.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

A terra cotta flower pot upside down on the stove top makes a great radiator.

I had a 26' boat that I sailed year round, but only cruised into the fall. I found a kerosene lantern or a candle lantern to be good heat. In my current 39' boat I use an Aladdin lamp, which radiates a lot of heat. When it's very cold, I use the oven and a fan. I don't leave these burning while I sleep, though I did with the candle lamp.

If propane is an option, I have one of these & have been happy with it. 1" flue pipe makes it easier to install.

https://www.go2marine.com/product/83...at-heater.html

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I am putting a Cubic Mini Wood Stove in the main cabin:

grizzly_product_photo_1024x1024.jpg
    Elect a clown expect a circus

More details would help. Sailboat or powerboat? Is the need for 24 hour heating in a cold climate? Diesel or propane aboard? What amount of space do you have for any installation? Some propane heaters are portable. Bus heaters have hot water radiators off engine cooling loops. Other systems are radiant, some forced air.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 08-13-2019 at 10:10 AM.

First invented for keeping milk from being frozen in horse drawn delivery vans a hundred years ago, The Fatsco "Pet" is the best little wood burning stove that a small boat can have!. The Pet can be had with a stainless steel heat shield that will protect the surface behind it and radiate heat more evenly. I have one that we are installing in our H28 as well as another that is going into my office. I once had one in a VW camper when I was a ski bum that kept the van toasty during blizzards at night!
    Great little stove! I burn rounds from compacted sawdust logs for low smoke and easy fuel storage.

They have more than one stove so scroll down to the "Pet"
    https://fatscostoves.com/
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-13-2019 at 12:28 PM.

The Chinese diesel heaters have attracted quite a following over here.There may be better and worse exhaust elbows to decide between,but the whole heater costs less than a service for the old established brand names.

Best Small DIY wood heater I saw on a 25’ Tassie boat was simply made by cutting and welding some 5 inch heavy walled square tube into an L shape ,complete with home made hinged door and flue.
    I would make the fire box long enough to seat a kettle possibly adding a rounded hot plate if space permits.
    Just be sure to use some good Australian made steel don’t use that imported Chinese scrap.

I have been very happy with a Wallas single burner stove/heater. It is a cook top and a space heater. A blower lid hinges down over the burner plate and blows hot air. It burns kerosene but uses very little. Of course it is pricey but it combines cooking and heating in one unit.

The nice thing about a cast iron solid fuel stove such as the Fatsco "Pet" is that it is radiant heat which drives moisture out of the boat by drawing damp air into its fire and then exhausting all the fumes and gases out through the stack, leaving nothing but clean warm air in the cabin.
    Jay

The propane cooking stove on my boat will heat the cabin, but puts lots of water into the air. I am looking forward to warm and dry heat from the wood stove.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I have been using an Origo 5100 Alcohol heater for about 5 years now. It also doubles as my stove. It has no problem heating the cabin on my 21 foot boat. Its a good affordable option. It needs good ventilation or you gtt condensation. I usully crack my forward hatch by about 6 inches and place the alcohol heater under the hatch. I find putting an empty cast iron pot on top of the heater improves heating performance.

Hi Have a look at Reflex ..They have a diesel fueled stove that is only about a foot square it has a cast-iron cook top It is vented .No fumes in the boat. No electricity used.. No noise.. No smell . will keep the boat warm and dry ..
    I am using a Dickinson range goes 24/7 now in NZ's winter , Oven hot all the time Just a great stove
    Cheers len

Refleks Small.jpgHere it is ..Doesn't need much room...

A bunch of links for the Refleks (note spelling):

https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1920&bih=944

Thanks for all the great info, lotsa homework there. Someone asked for more info. This is an Oughtred Grey Seal, a 22’ sail boat, there will be diesel on board. Not a lot of room but my wife needs to feel the heat (no not that) even in some summer evenings let alone when it gets brisk.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Not a lot of room but my wife needs to feel the heat (no not that) even in some summer evenings let alone when it gets brisk.
    My wife likes to have the edge taken off brisk evenings and chilly mornings in our 24' boat. This portable propane "Mr. Buddy" unit does it as long as 1) there's some screened venting to minimize moisture buildup and to keep bugs out and 2) it's not lit while we sleep, just to be careful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vqyfOq0D-8

If you run the diesel daily, then there's an opportunity to consider firstly a modest power IR heat lamp aimed where your wife sits (Shouldn't kill the house battery too much if you run engine regular) or secondly, a heat reservoir rig between the cooling system and a small tank of glaubers salts as a heat storage/release deally.

However, I'm seeing how cheap those diesel heaters are, 5kW and claimed 0.1 litre an hour consumption and I'm wondering why I don't have one to keep the chill off my shop in winter.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

I use a Wallas 40D diesel ducted forced air on my 37’ boat. They make smaller ones. They draw fuel from the main tank or you can set up a small day tank.

Suggest to your wife to do her bit for the planet by putting some clothes on: beanie, scarf, thermals, uggs. As a bonus you'll be much less likely to die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Plyboy View Post
    If you run the diesel daily, then there's an opportunity to consider firstly a modest power IR heat lamp aimed where your wife sits (Shouldn't kill the house battery too much if you run engine regular) or secondly, a heat reservoir rig between the cooling system and a small tank of glaubers salts as a heat storage/release deally.

However, I'm seeing how cheap those diesel heaters are, 5kW and claimed 0.1 litre an hour consumption and I'm wondering why I don't have one to keep the chill off my shop in winter.
    You can get a nice little fully self contained one on eBay for a couple of hundred Aussie dollars. Must be what, $150 in the US. Plus tarrifs.

This is the sort of thing you might consider https://heaters4you.com/kits/215-pla...-boat-kit.html .No water vapour in the boat and low running costs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    This is the sort of thing you might consider https://heaters4you.com/kits/215-pla...-boat-kit.html .No water vapour in the boat and low running costs.
    Wow! That's 1/3 the price of Eberspacher.

And maybe 5x the price of the Chinese copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    And maybe 5x the price of the Chinese copy.

The site reads like it's translated...

Know of a site that has the Chinese ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The site reads like it's translated...

Know of a site that has the Chinese ones?
    ebay. Heres the first one that came up. I just searched diesel heater. $132 US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-8000W-D...3800c2ada66839

I bought a 5kw one for my boat. Havent fitted it yet because Im rebuilding my deck. But it heated my lounge room pretty well.

Im liking the look of these self contained ones. You could sit it on the deck and duct warm in through a porthole or deck vent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8KW-12V-All...QAAOSw8OFcF3u7

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    ebay. Heres the first one that came up. I just searched diesel heater. $132 US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-8000W-D...3800c2ada66839
    Thanks!

Any idea what folks are using for exhaust through a wood hull?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Koschmann View Post
    I have been very happy with a Wallas single burner stove/heater. It is a cook top and a space heater. A blower lid hinges down over the burner plate and blows hot air. It burns kerosene but uses very little. Of course it is pricey but it combines cooking and heating in one unit.
    Mine is a twin burner version, very good

WP_20170619_15_34_16_Pro.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Thanks!

Any idea what folks are using for exhaust through a wood hull?
    Yes there is a specific stainless fitting for that. Search diesel heater thru hull.

Ah thanks - Found one that's a triple wall - for wood or wood core - I like it better than the doublewall ones.. This is for a 30mm, but has links to other sizes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-stai...UAAOSw6UlcikvK

Check out "cheap Chinese diesel heaters" on cruisersforum.com. There is discussion about exhaust fittings, type, temperature, and minimum and maximum length of exhaust run, and more. You have to poke around a bit, but the info is useful. I was considering a cheap unit for my boat, haven't done so yet.