Thread: Rotted section of chine log on a 12ft plywood skiff

Default Rotted section of chine log on a 12ft plywood skiff

Good Afternoon
    I was in the process of my yearly repainting of my 12ft plywood skiff when i noticed 2 sections of the 1x2 chine log had rotted thru to the plywood skin. Both are approximate 6 inches in length ( the rot) in the middle of the side curvature of the hull. I can cut out the rotted pieces however scarfing in a 6 to 8 inch long piece in the middle of the curve will be difficult at best.
    Any thoughts? I will post pictures as soon as i figure out how to post pictures.
    Thanks
    Jim

Default Re: Rotted section of chine log on a 12ft plywood skiff

• Take the pic and upload it to your computer.

Click on the square "insert image" icon at the top of the reply box.

Select "From Computer".

Now click on "Select Files".

That will give you a box where you can find your photos are on your computer.

Click on the photo you want to post. The name of the photo will appear in the box.

Click on "Upload File(s)" and wait until it is uploaded.

Click on "Post Quick Reply". The photo won't actually show full size until you post the reply.

Save these instructions for further use. Once you've done it a few of times it becomes intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by jclays View Post
    Good Afternoon
    I was in the process of my yearly repainting of my 12ft plywood skiff when i noticed 2 sections of the 1x2 chine log had rotted thru to the plywood skin. Both are approximate 6 inches in length ( the rot) in the middle of the side curvature of the hull. I can cut out the rotted pieces however scarfing in a 6 to 8 inch long piece in the middle of the curve will be difficult at best.
    Any thoughts? I will post pictures as soon as i figure out how to post pictures.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Don't try to bend the replacement to place. Start with a bigger scantling. Fit it to the scarfs and plank, then trim away the excess to bring the finished piece down to size and fair.
    If the rot is 6 inches, cut well clear of the rot into sound wood, and then with the scarfs at 1:8 in (what?) 1 inch thick you will be looking at about 2 foot of new timber, not 6-8inches.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Cut out the offending pieces back to clean wood. ( A Fein Multimaster, or other oscillating flush cut tool will make this easy). Taper( "angle") the cutouts at each end. Then shape a filet of thickened epoxy to fill in the space. Go boating.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Bingo Kevin
    That was my first thought. Any glass cloth first before the filet?
    Jim

IMG_1052.jpgIMG_1052.jpgHere's the offending chine log.

The, " book," ( most published literature) suggests shaping the filet and then covering it with glass cloth. That is how I have always done it. However, there are those who say the glass is superfluous and that the filet itself is strong enough. Maybe one of those folks will chime in.

Realize the filet will NOT be the same profile as the chine. It will be a triangle in section, connecting bottom and side.
    Kevin

EDIT: Now I see the picture. I wasn't visualizing that the repair needed to be done across a section that was bisected by a frame. I'm going to retract my suggestion until more is known. This is now a more complex repair. You need to see what those frames and gussetts look like, or at least, I would.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

frames, gussets and plywood side is solid. only that section of the chine log is bad. Still thinking of cutting it back and applying a filet of thickened epoxy.

Typically the chine log would pass right thru those gussets and the floor and frame. That does complicate things a bit. You may be able to replace it by passing enough layers of 1/8 veneers thru one at a time, dry fitted first then removed and replaced all bedded in epoxy. I'd use yellow cedar.

I repaired/restored a 60 year old ply International Cadet with similar problems but more extensive. Replaced a lot of it but in some places I shaped the new pieces to fit. In fact a new hull may have been the better bet, the transom and rear deck was completely rotten, but I am stubborn, and sailed against this boat in my teens.
    Now I have a slow, heavy, somewhat delicate sailboat that I'm not sure what to do with. Plusses are beautiful spruce mast and boom, all original fittings including bronze sail track and cars, good sails and spinnaker.
    Oh yes, she still leaks a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Cut out the offending pieces back to clean wood. ( A Fein Multimaster, or other oscillating flush cut tool will make this easy). Taper( "angle") the cutouts at each end. Then shape a filet of thickened epoxy to fill in the space. Go boating.

Kevin
    Bingo Kevin
    That was my first thought. Any glass cloth first before the filet?
    Jim
    I would not do that anywhere ever. It will create discontinuities and hard spots in the structure that could lead to failure of the ply skin.

IMG_1052.jpgIMG_1052.jpgHere's the offending chine log.
    When you have repaired it, consider limbers and drainage to stop water puddling on top of the chine log.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Oak !!!!
    best scrape the daylights out of it where you can, dry it, drill a buncha tiny holes and apply many shots of green wood preservo. there will be more rotten black oak.

oak...pffft.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I would not do that anywhere ever. It will create discontinuities and hard spots in the structure that could lead to failure of the ply skin.
    The boat is a 12ft plywood skiff. The sides,transom,floor and all frames are epoxy and screwed in place. A very stiff boat. I doubt a hard spot in that part of the boat would be an issue. Everything there is screwed and epoxied together. Already very rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Oak !!!!
    best scrape the daylights out of it where you can, dry it, drill a buncha tiny holes and apply many shots of green wood preservo. there will be more rotten black oak.

oak...pffft.
    Actually clear Douglas Fir frames. Mahogany plywood sides and bottom

Use the same kind of wood as the rest of the chine is made of. Be sure to sanitize the rotten area with a"Timbor" solution.
    Timbor can be caustic so use the ratio of powder to water that is recommended. As Nick suggests, 8:1 is a good ratio to use for the scarf. Note that you will, most likely have to clear out the chine knees to make room to get the new piece in. But trying first to slip the piece in without removing them will save a bit of work if you can do it. Most likely you will have to shape the new section as it being short will not readily bend unless steamed and pre bent on a jig. Personally, I would go for as long a new section as would be practical to form.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-13-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Cut back the bad wood and cleaned off the wood from the now exposed screws 5. Wet the exposed wood with brush and epoxy. Built a dam and filled with thickened epoxy. Large filet covering all exposed screws embedding them in epoxy. Will let dry and continue painting. Will then put the skiff back in the water (salt water) where she lives till next year.