Thread: Guitar

Default Guitar

Here is grandson David playing the guitar we built.
    Thanks to Bruce Taylor for help and encouragement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVKFMPcEaSo#

Default Re: Guitar

Cool!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

That was great, nice looking guitar too.

I've been toying with the idea of builting a telecaster from parts, and I think this has convinced me to do it.

Thanks for posting.
    Nosce te ipsum

Excellent (and some nice pickin' to boot!)

Dryfoot, Go for the Telecaster. Building solid body electrics is fun and if you start with a good neck it doesn't require many of the true luthier skills. There are obviously places where things do need to be pretty precise fits, but much of the rest allows one to be pretty creative. I'm not trained or brave enough to do any sort of serious neck and/or fretboard work, but bodies and finishing are no big deal. It makes a nice non-boat hobby.

I jinxed myself. . .

I dropped Fender Tele into Google and came up with a $695 dollar deal on a new maple neck Player Tele with 2 singles. That's $180 off the MSRP for a 'one only' deal. Moneywise that is getting real close to the resale value of a used Mexican Tele, and the Player is a better intsrument. The Player is a replacement for, and an improvement on the old Mexican Tele.

I'm conflicted now, build or buy.

What's making it worse is I just missed out on a Greco bass on the weekend. It was sold for $450. . . I was bummed!

this one

EDIT: OK, I'm finding wide variations in price on solid color Player Series Teles, basically, that great price is not that great, it's just so so. Back to building one. Still bummed I didn't get the bass.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 08-13-2019 at 12:00 AM. Reason: updated
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Miller View Post
    Here is grandson David playing the guitar we built.
    Thanks to Bruce Taylor for help and encouragement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVKFMPcEaSo#
    Not qualified to comment on the guitar per se, alhough your grandson does come across as a talented musician. Congratulations !

That was great, Harry! Guitar & grandson both turned out really well.

Here is one to shoot for - probably the prettiest Telecasters ever made. I owned it for a few years, but I'm not a very good six string player and I had a lot of money tied up in it, so it eventually got sold off to finance something else. These rosewood models were made by Fender Japan and I doubt most people even knew that there were Fenders out there with such nice woodwork. George played one of these for the Beatles rooftop concert. With a solid rosewood body, it was a heavy bugger, but a gorgeous one.

roseTele.jpg

That is so pretty, I love it!

It's also hugely ironic that you should post it. When I thinking of getting a Tele I thought about just getting another Jay Turser guitar as I'm happy with my Les paul for what I spent on it. After a bit of looking I found this, and a place with a new one still in inventory, in Canada, and for not a lot of cash. About what a swamp ash body would cost actually.

A rosewood tele al la budget. Just a cap on an alder body, but still. . .

Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 08-13-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Thanks, he usually plays heavy metal with lots of distortion. That’s the first time he’s played something I like.
    He’s just bought an 8 string, his new love. I think I’m better at paying for lessons than building guitars.

For the slightly less adventurous, there are low cost kits you can buy, which are easy to build... usually, all you need to do is apply a finish to the body and neck, and then bolt it all together. I did one, a Hofner 500 'Beatle bass' clone:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ght=guitar+kit

The finished product:

"Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Well, looky what I just spotted on Amazon.

That body looks just like the Fender rosewood body.
    916Oi10IAoL._SL1500_.jpg

41Aut9EYOSL.jpg

From the same seller, a rosewood CE 24 body.
    81hPP+FvboL._SL1500_.jpg

PRS does make guitars in Korea, but does the Fender Custom Shop have bodies made overseas?

I'm guessing both are excess inventory that fell off of a truck at some point. Counterfeiting just the neck and body seems like a lot of work for not a lot of profit compared to a full instrument. A CE24 is a $2,600 guitar and I wouldn't even guess what Fender's Custom Shop wants for a rosewood Tele.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 08-17-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Fender offers a limited edition ( 1,000 made) George Harrison model rosewood tele for $2,500.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electr...115400721.html

The body is chambered to make it lighter than George's original

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Fender offers a limited edition ( 1,000 made) George Harrison model rosewood tele for $2,500.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electr...115400721.html

The body is chambered to make it lighter than George's original

Kevin
    Yeah, I spotted the FSR version too, I thought it was just a Custom Shop job but even at $2,500 I think it's still too much for me at this point. But at a little over 1/5th of that price I'm somewhat tempted to buy that rosewood body and neck. Given the CITES regulations buying rosewood anything is almost a thing of the past unless you are in the country of origin, and I'm pretty sure those were not made here in Canada so it might be a case of grab it while I can.

However, my inclination is towards a roasted swamp ash body with a padouk neck and ebony fretboard. Damn you, Warmoth!
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 08-16-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    Nosce te ipsum

I think I originally paid $1,950 to a dealer in L.A. for my rosewood Tele, and sold it about three years later for $2,700 to invest in something else. I haven't traded much lately, but my gut feeling is that things have slowed down a bit. Back in the 1980s Rickenbacker was building an economy line of solid body guitars with bolt-on necks. I've owned three of them and they were really nice players, but I always thought the shape of the bodies was ugly. At the time, I could pick one up used for $500-$600 and build a new maple body for it. The last one got a new body made from a full width slab of 1" figured maple for the top and a bubinga back, plus new pickguards, a new bridge pickup, top binding and a complete refinish. Then for fun I recut the original body, bound the top and refinished it red metalflake to make my version of a "Telebacker", which eventually got sold to a friend who switched it out on his old one.

430-conversions.jpg

That's cool, Todd!

I gotta get a Rick someday. Never owned one. Never even played one.

Kevin

My Dan Electro lipstick pick ups got a refresh. I think i’ll take it back.

F51C7110-5F36-4AE0-9808-3796D1753689.jpg
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Another body replacement, this one on a Rickenbacker bass. The new (at right) body was laminated from Home Depot maple shelving boards with WEST Epoxy. Pick guards from 1/8" Plexi, The varnish is Enduro PreCat water based lacquer, made for applications like kitchen cabinets and very tough. You spray about 15 thin coats, let it dry for about ten days than sand and polish it. I don't have a buffer, so it was hand wet-sanded all the way up to 12,000 (yes, thousand) grit and final polished with polishing compound and a rag.

2030-TB.jpg

Taken before the pickguards were finished and added.

2030TB 017 copy.jpg

You can hear what it the final result sounds like here.

https://www.broadjam.com/songs/toddb...est-drive-in-d

Todd, as always, those look amazing! I love the way that skunk stripe looks running through the body like that.
    Ted, I love the sound to be had from those lipstick pickups!

So I've reigned in the urge to spend huge bucks on a neck and body, at least for the time being, and I'm back to two options.

1. Buy a cheaper "complete kit" from Solo and swap out those parts that don't cut the mustard. Tuning machines, wiring, pots and caps most likely.
    2. Buy the Jay Turser Rosewood which is not terrible in spite of it being a low profile brand with a cheap price. Most owners report swapping out the neck pickup.

I did find out that this is not a solid rosewood body, it's veneered, and I don't think it matters as I wasn't expecting to get a George Tele in the bargain anyway. . .
    Here is a one with a Fender MIM hot pickup in the neck.

EDIT: So no dusty NOS guitar in a warehouse in Quebec for me, I just got off the phone with the store and crapped out. But at least they now know their website needs an update. So it's back to building from a kit or buying a body and neck and assemble from parts.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 08-17-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Another body replacement, this one on a Rickenbacker bass. The new (at right) body was laminated from Home Depot maple shelving boards with WEST Epoxy. Pick guards from 1/8" Plexi, The varnish is Enduro PreCat water based lacquer, made for applications like kitchen cabinets and very tough. You spray about 15 thin coats, let it dry for about ten days than sand and polish it. I don't have a buffer, so it was hand wet-sanded all the way up to 12,000 (yes, thousand) grit and final polished with polishing compound and a rag.

2030-TB.jpg

Taken before the pickguards were finished and added.

2030TB 017 copy.jpg

You can hear what it the final result sounds like here.

https://www.broadjam.com/songs/toddb...est-drive-in-d

Beautiful and it sounds powerful and articulate.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the lipstick pick ups and danelectro can make such a lovely sound.

A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Does anyone know anything about Squier and Fender JV series Teles from the 80s? I need to decode a serial number to try and figure out if it's a made in Japan or Korea.

EDIT: Ok, found all of the info I could ever need.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 08-19-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum