Thread: Bridge City Tool Works

Default Bridge City Tool Works

The latest plane offerings. I have a few of their tools... but these are clearly intended for deeper pockets than mine --

https://bridgecitytools.com/collections/new-planes

Default Re: Bridge City Tool Works

Those are gorgeous and wildly beyond my price range.

A few years back, Popular Woodworking did an article on how to make the Bridge City try square. They've obviously come quite a ways in design and machining since then, but it's a cool home project.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty053 View Post
    Those are gorgeous and wildly beyond my price range.

A few years back, Popular Woodworking did an article on how to make the Bridge City try square. They've obviously come quite a ways in design and machining since then, but it's a cool home project.
    I've been to their facility a few times. They combine CNC work, including some nifty engraving on things like the squares & rulers, with old-school milling and machining (Bridgeport mills & such). And Mr. Economaki's skills as a tool designer don't seem to have slowed down at all.

IS Bridge City still manufacturing in Portland? I'd heard they'd sourced offshore. If they're still here I may have to go buy something from them just to support "local"...even if I can't justify (or afford) it

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    IS Bridge City still manufacturing in Portland? I'd heard they'd sourced offshore. If they're still here I may have to go buy something from them just to support "local"...even if I can't justify (or afford) it
    Dunno... haven't been there in several years. I'd be surprised if they'd offshored though...

I had the honor of meeting John Economaki when he was first starting out. His enthusiasm and creativity have never wained! I have a few of their tools and never cease to be amazed by the quality of their product! But, the quality of such products does not come cheap! I do wish I had invested in their interchangeable sole molding planes when they were available. Sigh! I think the new offices are now located in Pasadena CA.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    They were sold to a Chinese firm last year
    https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/n...e-manufacturer