X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davebrown
    jealous witchdoctor
    • Dec 2001

Outboard bracket

I have a glass Wayfarer clone (a CL 16) that I have been sailing when I bring children along--it is roomier than my Coquina so generally, the reduced squabbling makes up for the humiliation of being seen in a plastic boat. On occasion I find myself in a situation that would be otherwise fine, but with a 7 year old girl along, it would be useful to douse the sails and motor in sometimes. There are a few outboard brackets on Craigs around the Bay Area for not much money, but overkill. I would put maybe a 3 or 4 hp 4 stroke on it--or even a trolling motor with a changed out prop. Seems like the store-bought models are overkill. OTH, I have one thousand unfinished projects staring me in the face, including the new Annapolis rowboat project I was just given. So..any examples ofplans for a simple, light-duty bracket for an embarrassingly plastic Wayfarer?

Google has lots of photos, but not too many wooden homemade ones.

Also, did anyone see the handcrank dinghy motor video on FB recently? I was impressed. I can't imagine using it for a three miles trip, but 150 yds back and forth to a moored boat...https://www.amazon.com/BRIS-OPERATED...a-608471561194
    Re-naming straits as necessary.
  • jpatrick
    Measures twice/Cuts twice
    • Jun 2010

Re: Outboard bracket

Since you mentioned Wayfarer, I thought I'd share this. I made a side mount for a Wayfarer out of wood and a few bits of metal. Cheap and effective. You might want to mount on the transom so you'll have to heavily modify my design. This is mostly presented for ideas on how to make it, not necessarily what to make.

I chose to do the side mount because I didn't want to leave the motor attached all the time. I kept the boat on a mooring, mostly. Reaching a motor over the aft deck is a bit beyond my comfort or strength level. The side is much more manageable.

Jeff

mount - 1.jpg

Comment

• davebrown
      jealous witchdoctor
      • Dec 2001

Thanks. will consider.
      Re-naming straits as necessary.

Comment

• Plyboy
        • May 2016

For low HP, I don't think you can go far wrong just making a simple box out of 1"x6" or 3/4" ply. Just measure up your tiller clearances, prop heights and angles carefully.
        2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Comment

• Pateplumaboat
          • Feb 2010

Hello Davebrown, here pictures/video of a simple removable side-bracket made of scraptimber with some simple bolts and epoxi-glued I built once for a dory. 2,3 hp motor. This bracket is fixed with some ropes tensioned to the transom.

Important: Torsion-force even with low-power-motor is quite high, (leverage between propeller and clamping-screws of outboard), therefore dimensions of timber/ply/wood/bolts needs to be on the higer side and gunwales have to be strong enough to deal with that torsion-load. Shaft-length of outboard must be sufficient for high location of side-bracket.

On the Wayfarer, a simple strong plywood transom-plate fixed to the transom may be the better solution compared with a side-mount.

Bracket_1.jpg

Bracket_2.jpg

Last edited by Pateplumaboat; 08-17-2019, 12:13 PM.
          Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Comment

• Plyboy
            • May 2016

That moves it along pretty brisk, what is that, 6 knots??
            2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Comment

• Pateplumaboat
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Plyboy
              That moves it along pretty brisk, what is that, 6 knots??
              Hello Plyboy, yes, I guess it was about 6 knots. Torqueedo 1003. Range with that speed quite low.
              Hay mas tiempo que vida!

Comment

• Fritz Koschmann
                • Apr 1999

I have had this one laying around for quite a while. It is aluminum and removable. I tried to sell it on Ebay a couple times with no luck.

Comment

Working...