Thread: Boat ID

Default Boat ID

Hi all, Iím new to the forum, and Iím hoping somewhere here can help identify my boat.
    0B698207-3083-4951-A726-BC089A4C9562.jpgD11D961B-346B-4254-9ED2-F0FF42398016.jpg

It it is sitting on a holsclaw trailer. It has a 1960 Johnson V-4 75 hp outboard. Itís about 17 feet long. The transom is gone, so no HIN.

Iíve been trying to ID this via google, but no luck so far.

Default Re: Boat ID

Can you show some closeups of the transom sides? I know you said it is gone, but the detail of how the planking met the transom would be helpful. This boat probably never had a HIN as they didn't come into regular use until about 1972, and this boat is older than that.

Closeups of the planking on the inside will also help. Is it cedar or larch planked?

As a wild stab with no more information I will take a stab at a "Finlander".

Hmm, ... though it does have a Wilcox Crittenden head, which is U.S.

Hmmm, ....... well Look at what I found......

1950 16' 6" Wood Lapstrake Boat Built in Finland

1950 Wood 16 '6" Lapstrake Runabout boat. Built in Finland.

Yep, ....... I'm sticking with "Finlander"

Last edited by nedL; 08-12-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Grady White ??

Andreas

Well, ...... A Grady White would be plywood lapstrake & the Finlanders were larch planked as I remember.
    That hull shape up forward and the planking schedule is what triggered my mind to Finlander.

Stem's a bit different than the Finnlanders shown. My wild guess would be Thompson.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Stem's a bit different than the Finnlanders shown. My wild guess would be Thompson.
    She's not a Thompson Boat of Peshtigo, WI or Cortland, NY. The front windows are nothing like Thompson ever used. But I do think Grady White Boats of Greenville, NC had that front window detail. Grady White was a spin-off that came out of Thompson and Cruisers, Inc. Glen Grady started his boat building career at Thompson in Peshtigo and moved to Cruisers, Inc. in 1953 and jumped ship and started Grady White in 1959 and their first boats were made in January 1960.

Andreas

Hmmm, ......... It does look like it might well be a Grady White. I had forgotten they had that sort of a planking schedule up forward as well.

I’m thinking it’s a Cruisers Inc. There is a faint mark on the stern planking that is in the shape of their logo. It also has round mounts for logos on the sides. It is a plywood planked boat. Windows have markings on the indicating they were made in Chicago.

Cruisers Inc did not have front windows like that but Grady White Boats did. Grady White "borrowed" their hull design and many other details from Cruisers, Inc.

Andreas

1960Flyer_0002.jpghere's a page from a 1960 flyer for Grady White Boats. This was their first year of production
    Andreas