Thread: Evinrude E-tec. Anybody running one?

Default Evinrude E-tec. Anybody running one?

So a boat I’m looking at a boat that is running a Evinrude E-Tec. Down this way the market is dominated by Yamahas. I know Evinrude was once a dominant name in outboards, but are they still a good motor? I’m curious to hear from somebody that has one.
    The motor in question is there 250hp model.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Evinrude E-tec. Anybody running one?

Do a Google search on the motor - I saw some entries, but am not familiar with late-model outboards to determine what issues are relevant. Just my 2 cents worth, here..

I suggested an E-Tec to our neighbor some years ago because he wanted to do the spring commissioning and winterizing on his own in his driveway before covering it on his trailer. The E-Tec was touted as having essentially an semi-automated system for doing all that. Unfortunately he had nothing but trouble with the engine failing to start, running rough and stalling. The shop that sold and mounted it was unable to fix it and he switched to a Yamaha. The E-Tec he traded in is still sitting in the shop where he bought it. It was a 150.

I have no idea if his experience was common or not.

I don't have any first hand knowledge at all. I do have a 2008 Honda 90 that runs well with no problems. For a new build I'm contemplating I inquired about the e-tec at the Seattle boat show... I talked to Evinrude reps and with a local dealer that sells all the major brands. The dealer especially praised the e-tec saying that is what he runs on his own boat and that their shop has nothing but praise for the motors. I was asking about a 60 hp model. I do like the winterizing feature as something that I think would be worthwhile for our winter here in the PNW. I'd probably use this boat sparingly from Nov to March when it might sit unstarted for a month or so. So being able to store it easily during those times would be valuable to me.

Jeff

Went from a carbureted 6 cyl. 150 on one of the boats to a new E-tec, no more smoke, no choke, starts like a new car, quieter, honestly doubled the fuel mileage and the battery's stay fully charged. That said, most all of the new electronic fuel injected motors do all the above. Also have a 4s Yahama which is a great motor, went with the E-tec for a little lighter weight, Evinrude just same out with a 3 cyl 150 HP. The technology of the new motors is great but not cheap, wouldn't be afraid of looking at the new Suzuki's, hearing good reports on them.

My son in law just ditched his 125 Etec & went with a Yamaha (though he woulda gone Suzuki if the dealer had been closer). 10 years old - but under 200 hours. Replaced the computer twice (once for $3K, the second time for labor only), the tilt went out & it had a lag in acceleration that no one (3 different dealers) could fix.

Obviously the engine sat a lot - which is seldom good - but he'll never buy one. The Yamaha is a 150 & he said it's like a different boat - way better. I haven't been down to Fla. since he got it, so I haven't driven it. This is on a Whaler Montauk - 19'.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

I've got a smaller (30hp) etec thats now 3 seasons of use and have found it to be problem free. It seems very fuel efficient and burns little oil. Trim/tilt have been flawless. I winterize myself and it has been single key turn every spring.
    Dealership install was a bit of a disaster and I wouldn't use the same dealership again, but the product seems great. I guess time will really tell.

Viewed in a vacuum, any 4-stroke is a better choice (assuming we're above 50hp), but as with everything else, the boat matters.

If the boat was done in the last 10 years, it was probably designed for the weight of a 4stroke. If the boat was NOT designed for the weight of the 4-stroke, then the Etec is absolutely the thing to have.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Viewed in a vacuum, any 4-stroke is a better choice (assuming we're above 50hp), but as with everything else, the boat matters.

If the boat was done in the last 10 years, it was probably designed for the weight of a 4stroke. If the boat was NOT designed for the weight of the 4-stroke, then the Etec is absolutely the thing to have.
    Surprisingly, not always.

The Yamaha 70 weighs 253 lbs.
    THe E-Tec 60 and 75 weigh 320 lbs.

Go figure.

The Etec 60hp model weighs 240#, not 320#.

What year is the 250hp Etec you're looking at? Some of the early ones had their hiccups so you might want to research it.

I put a 60 etec on my 22' wooden center console in 2017. It was a phenomenal motor for the two seasons I had the boat. 32 mph, 22' center console, 60hp motor...think about that. Most 22' center consoles are being pushed by at least 150 hp motors. Furthermore, by buying the motor during the winter, I took advantage of Evinrude's wintertime promotion, a 10 year transferable warranty on the motor that made the boat and motor an easy sell to the new owner. I built another 22' center console this spring to replace my old boat, and this time I got another 60hp Etec with another 10 year warranty. lucy canvas.jpg