Thread: Please do not

Default Please do not

DROWN. A few days ago two Vermonters drowned in Lake Champlain. Both In kayaks, both had life jackets with them, but were not wearing them. Both capsized in a storm, both died. Last night a canoe passed our moored boat with two people, not a life jacket in sight... Please do not be like those people...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Please do not

not a fan

You don't need them because you can take five minutes deciding whether you might like to get down into the water or not, you need them because *surprise* some crap happened and now you're suddenly and unexpectedly in the water.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

I will second the OP - Once upon a time (1957) , my Dad decided we should go boating in Lake Michigan [ with Small Craft Warnings up ], to test a new-to-him outboard motor. He realized the error of his ways when the boat was swamped, and we spent over an hour in the lake. If not for my lifejacket, there would be no 'me', today..

Rick

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

When I go down to the one and only pier here there are always people arriving and leaving, small fishing charters, people going back and forth to moored boats in dinghys. And not a pfd in sight except the one I am wearing to head out to my boat on a mooring. This is Southeast Alaska, cold water and strong tidal currents.