Thread: Every ten year old should have...

Default Every ten year old should have...

As I progress on the "Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay" build, I am sometimes amused to hear people talk about "my next boat". I just hope to finish before I turn 103! But today, I found myself thinking about my grand kids. Shouldn't every 10 year old build and sail...what? a pram, a dinghy? What boat could Paka help them build in a weekend or two that would start a love affair with sailing, and those priceless memories that go along with? What's your favorite boat that fits this category? Go!

Ken

Default Re: Every ten year old should have...

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    As I progress on the "Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay" build, I am sometimes amused to hear people talk about "my next boat". I just hope to finish before I turn 103! But today, I found myself thinking about my grand kids. Shouldn't every 10 year old build and sail...what? a pram, a dinghy? What boat could Paka help them build in a weekend or two that would start a love affair with sailing, and those priceless memories that go along with? What's your favorite boat that fits this category? Go!

Ken
    For my 10th birthday, my dad bought me a partially-finished 8' plywood pram that a buddy of his had started. It came with oars and an Evinrude 3 hp. He & I finished off the boat together, and I used it for years. I still have the motor. Give the boat to my brother's kids when I went off to college, as they lived on the river and had a boathouse. They used it for years. Two generations of memories... before they wandered off and left it to rot. I'd say my dad got his money'd worth out of it.

As far as a quickie boat - the Puddle Duck Racer is the baseine for 'quick'. It can be rowed or sailed happily, and even motored halfassedly.

If you want something more shapely... you'll spend more build time. Something like Welsford's 'Tender Behind' at just over 7' is still relatively quick, but more challenging.

Or his 'Sherpa' at 9' - more capacious, but not a ton more time to build.

OR... you might consider some of the options from the extensive Atkin catalog --

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Dinks/index.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

You can put together an El Toro pretty quickly. Or just refurb a beat-up old one (what I started with at 8). Ggreat boat for a kid or two and easy to dispose of when it's time to step up.

Wheelbarrow boat. WB Issue 209.

68566324_2411996965547066_5005983919078637568_o.jpg
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

A kayak. Quick build, very satisfying for a youngster to paddle. Also, easy to get to the water.
    -Dave

When 11, I built a 6ft flat bottomed sailing pram. Designed on the back of an envelope (literally!) by my father. Managed it in a week complete with rig and oars working long days.
    Had fun with that for several years. Father gave me a seized Clinton OB the next year as an exercise and I fixed it. Too big for the little boat, but that didn't stop me ....

While all of the above are accurate, I think you've just described the design brief for the Optimist Dinghy.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
    While all of the above are accurate, I think you've just described the design brief for the Optimist Dinghy.
    I understand it is nigh on impossible to home build an optimist that conforms to class rules. The local schools use ally ones, but only race among themselves.

Just a regular old skiff. Even a wee little 12-14’ skiff can sail reasonably well, especially for a child, and a goofy old flat bottom skiff is about as easy as boats get.

And still one of my favorite types for general time wasting.

Those West Mersea duck punts are fun. Pretty simple to build, and they sail and row and pole fine.

Punts and pirogues are good kid boats, too, but not really for the sailing.

Proa? Outrigger canoe? Youngest Son and I are working up a proa. Why not?

Peace,
    Robert

The Optimist is a easy boat to build for kids. They can have a lot of fun learning to sail. It is almost impossible to build to class rules for international class racing. Kids learning to sail aren't going to be racing international. If and when they get good enough you can buy a boat that meets class rules and they can compete on the international circuit. The whole point is to have fun on the water.

Bruce

One basic example from the Atkin catalog. I'd ease that mast aft a bit and substitute a balanced lug rig. Sail. Row. Take a lot of kids and/or gear. Good initial stability (nice for younger kids). Easily dragged up on the beach. Even take a tiny outboard, if you must. Or notch the transom and teach 'em to scull.

Just one example from the Atkin offerings --

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Dinks/FinkelDink.html

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I had lake boats and skiffs at my disposal from about age 8. By ten we were allowed unsupervised freedom around the boats and boathouse. Paradise. Motors that never worked added to the good fortune, though disappointing to me at the time, because we learned to row and paddle or swim boats back in, all of which was fun. My favorite was a NY guide boat that sat on the bottom of the lake in my grandfather's boathouse. We would resurrect it, bail it out, and we were off. I wish I had had sense enough to save it. The last time I saw it it was upside down on some wooden blocks, which I and my cousins dragged up for the winter. The next spring it was gone--someone "cleaned up" that section of the lake and removed about 8 wooden boats and canoes, all mouldering and turning to ant hills. We were all sold on the mythology of plastic boats, and discarded them without ceremony. I loved them, but believed they were too far gone to restore. Twelve year old me barely knew which end of a hammer to hold, and my father and grandfahter were running a sawmill and did not truck with children's fantasies of restoring old rundown boats. today we could ahve easily saved a couple of them...
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

What's the rush for the building part? Time spent building a boat under competent tutorage is invaluable and the skills so developed will last a lifetime.

At age 5 a friend and I discovered a plywood dinghy that had washed ashore on the Touhy Av Beach in Chicago. Digging out the inside revealed that it had no bottom. Next day we gathered some friends and carried it home. Those who know Chicago might realize that our group of 5-6-yr-olds had to cross Sheridan road on our way home. We nailed a couple of boards across the bottom so it would rest atop a Radio Flyer coaster wagon and played "ship' on the neighborhood sidewalks.

When the family later moved to South Bend, the wrecked dinghy came along. At about age 10 my father helped rebuild the bottom to include a dagger board case. The dagger board was an oak dinning table extension leaf. I tapered a 2x4 for a mast. My mother sewed a sail out of stagecraft muslin. It turned out to be my first sailboat and taught many lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    What's the rush for the building part? Time spent building a boat under competent tutorage is invaluable and the skills so developed will last a lifetime.

At age 5 a friend and I discovered a plywood dinghy that had washed ashore on the Touhy Av Beach in Chicago. Digging out the inside revealed that it had no bottom. Next day we gathered some friends and carried it home. Those who know Chicago might realize that our group of 5-6-yr-olds had to cross Sheridan road on our way home. We nailed a couple of boards across the bottom so it would rest atop a Radio Flyer coaster wagon and played "ship' on the neighborhood sidewalks.

When the family later moved to South Bend, the wrecked dinghy came along. At about age 10 my father helped rebuild the bottom to include a dagger board case. The dagger board was an oak dinning table extension leaf. I tapered a 2x4 for a mast. My mother sewed a sail out of stagecraft muslin. It turned out to be my first sailboat and taught many lessons.
    You're up against shorter attention spans. My kids built a boat with me when they were 10 & 15. We picked the simplest, lightest, design - with the least parts & least steps - that would still net us a 'real boat' in the end. A 'Goat Island Skiff'. I'm glad we went with the 'simplest'. By the end... their enthusiasm was lagging a bit. In fact - once we reached the 'oars & outboard' stage... we took a hiatus. They just wanted to USE the danged thing. 2 years of use later, we built the sailing rig.

It's true, though, that we all had a grand and memorable time. They still talk about the experience. Of course... like any adventure... it had its ups and downs --

http://duckworksmagazine.com/06/howto/bladders/

I've also taught boatbuilding to h.s. age kids. There really IS an attention span issue.
    Last edited by David G; 08-11-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I built my 9 year old daughter, now 34, a strip version of Rushton's Sairy Gamp, a nine foot canoe. At eight, my son got a Bolger Elegant Punt, an eight foot pram complete with sailing rig. The canoe is tucked away waiting for my grandson to grow a little bigger but the pram is still working as tender to my own sailboat. Twenty three years old now, those two sheets of cheap plywood might just make the quarter century mark!

My advice is to pick something you will finish over one winter, and consider something that doesn't use epoxy so you can involve that 10 year old without any worries. Go for it!

Jamie

[QUOTE=Nicholas Scheuer;5958083]What's the rush for the building part? Time spent building a boat under competent tutorage is invaluable and the skills so developed will last a lifetime.

Your point is well taken. But my fly in the ointment is that the grand kids live 5 hours away. I'm not sure this would ever even happen. I fully expect to involve them in my Tammie Norrie build as much as I can along the way. But I would love to help them build something along the way that was "theirs". I am hoping that helping me with the TN will light a bit of a fire, but even that may not catch on. Kids develop their own interests, which is as it should be. But they live on the Columbia River, with countless lakes nearby. They already had a (frozen snot) kayak, and we just spent a weekend with them playing in and on the water. So no lack of love there. At 7 & 5 they are a little too young to care much about my build, but I think that will change some as it begins to look more like a boat!

Ken

Thanks all, some great ideas there! Reminders of some designs I had forgotten.

Ken

I built a 7 1/2 foot stitch and glue flatiron skiff with my older son, then 11, under the family vacation house in Maine last summer. He found the project in the kids book “The Anti Pirate Potato Cannon” (great book for any kid interested in boats, seafaring etc) and asked me to help him build it. Before that we had smashed together a 5’ sort of a scow in an afternoon of found materials. We were there for two weeks and I thought we could build it in a week and have it in the water the second week. Naturally it took all two weeks, given weather and fluctuations in interest. Had it in the water the last afternoon. It got a lot more use this year. It is tiny and not very stable but he is proud of it and given its limitations it can teach a lesson or two. Back here in California he has a woodie el toro which he also loves including working on the maintenance. I picked up a second el toro for free off Craigslist for his younger brother (9) this summer. It needed some work and I had high hopes that #2 would help with the project but as much as he likes sailing and is stoked that he can sail an el toro like his big brother instead of a pokey club Opti, he isn’t (or isn’t yet) inclined to work on building or fixing for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. I’ll wrap up with two takeaways: first, kids can have fun in just about any little boat. Second, it is a lot more fun for the grownup if the kid is interested, motivated, and has some attention span.

Through sea scouts I had access to boats from 8, but before that a cousin and I would 'shoot the rapids' below my grandfathers farm house in an old tin bath. Mum said my first question about anything was "Will it float" and they had to peg me down at the beach to keep me out of the water before I could walk.
    I was a lifesaver and built surf boards and ski's from ply before balsa and FG came on the scene.
    Built my first boat with the same cousin at about 16, and till the end of last summer I still was sailing it. It still sails with a new family now in a resurgent Australian designed class.

https://australiansailfish.wordpress.com/blog/

My childhood sailing was in a mirror dinghy. Though that happened a long long time ago, the excitement from the experience is as fresh as though it had only happened yesterday. No surprise then I have a soft spot for the mirror.