Thread: Possible ebay scam?

Default Possible ebay scam?

Donít know how this one could possibly work.
    As many of you know Iím selling my Rambler 23. Besides being advertised on WB its also on Ebay.
    Yesterday morning I had an acceptable offer come in which was automatically accepted. Sketchy part is the buyer has 0 reviews, and had just signed up with Ebay.
    I checked out his name and address. Seems to be a real live person in a DC suburb. FB, linkedin, etc.
    Heís supposed to Paypal me a deposit by tomorrow morning. If it doesnít arrive Iííll start action with Ebay.
    Other than the inconvenience of having to rerun the listing I fail to see how this could work for him. Ive still got the boat.
    Maybe he got cold feet. Or maybe his wife found out. Iíd say drinking and eBaying was a possibility but considering the bid came in at 0610 Iíd hope that isnít the case for his sake.

Thoughts?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Possible ebay scam?

first thought... when you setup the ebay auction to automatically accept offers over a certain amount, there is a way to filter-out buyers with no history or unfavorable feedback, etc.

I hope it works out for you, but yeah that's sketchy.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

eBay's advertising is starting to reach new buyers ime. could be sketchy, but I've no idea how the scam would work.

about 10 years ago I was bidding on a 8000 lb forklift on Ebay, lost the auction and then was contacted by the seller saying the original buyer didn't work out and he would take my last bid for the lift. Sounded good to me and every thing looked legit till I noticed overnight shipping via fedex was included, I decided to pass

Plenty of buyers remorse on eBay. Probably just browsing and hit make an offer just for the heck of it. Got a little buzz. Walks away.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Plenty of buyers remorse on eBay. Probably just browsing and hit make an offer just for the heck of it. Got a little buzz. Walks away.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Thought that myself, but I did some checking. He lives in a $800K house so you think he’d be responsible enough, but who knows.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

It can take up to two days to make a transfer from a bank to PayPal. Then once that clears he can pay you. I'd say be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    about 10 years ago I was bidding on a 8000 lb forklift on Ebay, lost the auction and then was contacted by the seller saying the original buyer didn't work out and he would take my last bid for the lift. Sounded good to me and every thing looked legit till I noticed overnight shipping via fedex was included, I decided to pass
    8000lbs via FedEx? You could buy 2 forklifts locally!
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    8000lbs via FedEx? You could buy 2 forklifts locally!
    Exactly

I’ve never purchased or sold anything on eBay, so my rating would be zero. EBay is browsable without being singed up.