Thread: Proper bedding of rudder gudgeon to stern post

Default Proper bedding of rudder gudgeon to stern post

I'm restoring a 40' S&S yawl. At one point I removed the rudder, which required that I remove the gudgeon. The gudgeon is a large bronze casting that supports the rudder and is attached to the stern post with 3/8" bronze rivets (shiney object in pic below; sorry about rotation) . The question is what to use as a sealant between the casting and the stern post. The primary concern is to keep the worms out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Proper bedding of rudder gudgeon to stern post

Black roofing tar is traditional. It would not be unreasonable to set it in bottom paint if the fit is fairly good.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Black roofing tar is traditional. It would not be unreasonable to set it in bottom paint if the fit is fairly good.
    You could thicken your bottom paint with talc to the consistency of really soft putty of you don't fancy hot tar and tar bleed out.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Dolfinite if you can get it will do the job just fine. Then there is window glazing putty too. It is water proof but adding a touch of red lead can't do any harm if it is oil based. Yes, tar can bleed out so it isn't the first choice on the list.
    Jay

I would use "gasp" 5200 (black) or Sika-flex...

This is not a part that will be removed very often, and just heating the bronze gudgeon to about 350 bake (with a torch) will soften/melt the bedding/adhesive so that it just slips right off.

Some fittings want all the "Ju-Ju" you can get. Mast and rudder fittings fall into that catagory for me.

Thanks for the tips. I understand the argument for 3M5200 or a Sikaflex product, but being an amateur I inevitably have to do something multiple times to get it right. Hence, I've already taken the rudder off and back on again twice. So I better stick to a product that isn't quite so stickey.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Is the deadwood/keel in good condition?
    If the answer is yes, I'd go with tarry black roof yuck.
    If the deadwood nogs are split, checked, split on bolt holes, black, or otherwise not 100 percent, I'd restore the area with epoxy and put the bronze piece in 404.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Is the deadwood/keel in good condition?
    If the answer is yes, I'd go with tarry black roof yuck.
    If the deadwood nogs are split, checked, split on bolt holes, black, or otherwise not 100 percent, I'd restore the area with epoxy and put the bronze piece in 404.
    Deadwood has all been replaced. Rudder and stern post repaired. Maybe roofing tar is the way to go, but I just dread working with it. I rebeded the ballast using pine tar and Irish felt. That was bad enough, but hot tar ... yuck is right.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisfdunn View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I understand the argument for 3M5200 or a Sikaflex product, but being an amateur I inevitably have to do something multiple times to get it right. Hence, I've already taken the rudder off and back on again twice. So I better stick to a product that isn't quite so stickey.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisfdunn View Post
    Deadwood has all been replaced. Rudder and stern post repaired. Maybe roofing tar is the way to go, but I just dread working with it. I rebeded the ballast using pine tar and Irish felt. That was bad enough, but hot tar ... yuck is right.
    Then go with glaziers putty thinned with bottom paint or linseed if you cannot get Dolfinite.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Ok. Dolfinite has been mentioned many times on this forum, but is not readily available for some. I was curious as to why so I looked up the MSDS. There are two of them. One from the 1970's and one much more recent. The recent one isn't too bad - just some mineral spirits and filler. But the original is down right scary. One component in particular, pentachlorophenol PCP is really bad. When I started restoration of this boat, I took one of the planks to a forestry researcher for identification. He wouldn't even let it into his building - he could still smell the PCP after 50 years. So I imagine the Dolfinite from the 70's work really well - killed everything.