Thread: eye splice 1/4 inch rope

Default eye splice 1/4 inch rope

the manual for the shellback calls for making an eyesplice in 1/4 inch synthetic rope. got my fid, got my rope, got my knife, got my propane torch to burn the ends and sat down to try to do an eye splice on this sized rope. I'm not sure how many of you out there have ever followed the instructions on how to do an eye splice on synthetic rope, which is more about inserting the core into the cover than actually weaving the strands as one does a traditional eyesplice. I found it very difficult, ....OK, impossible . do you think I really need an eyesplice at the clew of the sail to for the down haul. the eyesplice itself wraps around the boom and the clew grommet. There are certainly other simpler knots to make, maybe not quite as strong; but this is a dinghy, not a 12 meter yacht. waddaya think colleagues?

thanks

David

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: eye splice 1/4 inch rope

I think I do not have an eye splice in the entirety of my 5 (or 6?) boat fleet.

Just use a bowline.

David, though this process does take a but of time the results sure do look clean IMHO

Sampson has some simple videos that may make the task easier than simply reading words printed on a page

https://www.samsonrope.com/resources/how-to-splice-rope

BON CHANCE

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Practice. It's a bit counterintuitive until the end.

Plus, make sure you have the proper size fid for your rope.

But a bowline will probably be just fine.

Mike

I use a needle and palm for making eyes in small braid line. Never felt the need to buy the needles and hollow fids (at different diameters) for splicing braid line.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Are you splicing double braid? That is doable but not as easy as 3 strand or single braid. The best writeup on it is Brion Toss' Rigger's Apprenitice. You will need one special tool, a splicing wand. I use a metal coat hanger I straightened out and bent in half. Works well.

If it is double braid, I have some more tips for you, having done this several times recently.

this is bit embarassing, but having only build canoes and not a sailing dinghy before ( shellback) I know little about rope. this rope is only 1/4 inch thick and I can hardly see whats going on in there, how does one tell how many braids a rope has?? I can see how it's not that difficult to do an eyesplice on a thicker piece of rope, but this is like building a ship in a bottle, and very tiny ship at that.

David

David

I think Nick has the best answer here. Working with small stuff requires patience and practice. Don't expect to get it right the first time. But, the more you do, the better will be the out come. A single half hitch and a fine siezing of the bitter end is perfectly all right too.
    Jay

Single braid is basically hollow, its one tube made up of usually 12 strands woven. Pretty easy to make an eye splice.

Double braid is a central core that is separate from an outer sheath. Basically a tube inside a tube. They are free to slide one inside the other, ideally each component takes half the load.

To further complicate things, there is now single braid rope with a protective sheath. It looks like double braid but the cover is just for chafe and sun protection and is not load bearing. These are high tech modern lines and you would probably know if you had bought it.

There is also 3 strand rope which is the oldest type and lowest performance. It is quite easy to splice however. Which one do you have?

Practice and the right tools, hollow fids or pipe fids as I would had guessed the name in English would be are vital. As is patience and carefulness, you really don't want to go on the wrong side of any fibers.
    What can help if you are close to getting the eye tight and good is a hammer. Pound the splice and pull, repeat untill satisfied.
    A splice looks nicer than a bowline and won't risk snagging other lines nearby, but strengthwise it's not an issue in this case.

/Mats

Elected Swedish Yourneyman of the Year 2019

For single braid you are better off starting small and working your way up to quarter inch....

Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

it is double braid, I'm ready for the tips!

I have been using mostly NE Rope Endura 12 single braid because it is easy for me to splice and I often find short lengths of most sizes for sail at Hamilton Marine.
    This eye splice is relatively easy but requires a sharp knife. I use metal knitting needles and bicycle spokes for narrow rope and hollow or solid fids for larger. I follow the instructions from Colligo Marine-
    https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...eb_rev_1_2.pdf

I'd like to add that I would never use 1/4" rope for eg sheets or halyards, it's just too uncomfortable to handle such a thin line. I also prefer tree-strand for at least sheets, since it gives a better grip and doesn't burn your hands as bad as plaited lines can if you do lose your grip. [End of rant]

/Mats

Quote Originally Posted by dposner View Post
    it is double braid, I'm ready for the tips!
    Splicing Wand, Micro:

http://www.briontoss.com/catalog/splicinggear.html
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Timely, I just did my first eyesplice. This was hard enough to get my brain around. Can't imagine with double-braided rope.

IMG_1734.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Cohen View Post
    Timely, I just did my first eyesplice. This was hard enough to get my brain around. Can't imagine with double-braided rope.

IMG_1734.jpg
    I think I see a screw up Allan . One lay is passing over two others at the start ?
    The third has to go out where the second comes in.

I think it just looks that way. The first lay has to go over two...it's the first When I finished the first 3, it all looked square.

Eye-Splice-Knot-S.jpg

Looks ok to me, one strand is always going to be a bit awkward-looking which is why you usualy undo the twist in it a bit to make it "flatter".
    That said, there seems to be way more tucks than needed, not necessarily a bad thing, just saying.

/Mats

Quote Originally Posted by mohsart View Post
    That said, there seems to be way more tucks than needed, not necessarily a bad thing, just saying.

/Mats
    Probably because the strands have not been tapered after the first three tucks.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Tapering is another thing, yes, but I didn't want to be over-critical. I think you did well, Alan!

/Mats

It's quite different to splice double braid or dyneema to 3- or 4-strand.
    Double braid etc is quite straight forward, once you get the hang of it it's unlikely that you will mess up.
    With 3- or 4-strand, you make mistakes after years of experience. I made about 1000 3-strand eye splices only last year and yet, sometimes I still make mistakes.

/Mats

I want to thank everyone who responded to my eye splice post. What I did instead of doing an eye splice was -I used a "halyard knot", which is a knot that I saw on the internet and apparently is one of many names to call this knot. Supposedly better than a Bowline. The reason I did it is that every bit of advice and every video that I was given or directed to showed splicing being done on pieces of rope no smaller than my ring finger. I think I'd have no problem making an eye splice on a rope of this size. You can see in the videos the narrator can count strands. With 1/4" rope, I can barely see the see that there are strands, let alone count them. But last, after watching videos of experimenters breaking ropes with various knots versus eye splice, I saw that the bowline broke at something like 1200 KG. I'm not sure of what the chances the line on my dinghy is going to be subjected to more than 1200 KG, which according to some quick research is the weight of a Fiat. I would think that all people on the boat would have drowned in the storm of century if the sail was subject to a Fiat like weight pulling it along. It reminds me of the scene in Indiana Jones; a villain dressed in flowing black robes, his face hidden, holding a huge sword faces down Indiana in a fight, swinging his sword over his head and in front of Indiana. Indiana Jones thinks to himself "this is ridiculous", realizing that he has a pistol in his pocket, and just takes out his gun and shoots him. I think I'll stick knots for now, why spend the time doing a splice at all unless you are tying the Queen Mary to the dock. I'll just tie a bowline.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Probably because the strands have not been tapered after the first three tucks.
    They have knot.

I used 5 tucks because this is synthetic rope and I read that was convention.

I'll try tapering next time. I did it on my grommets and it worked well.

Not all synthetics are created alike.
    It looks to me that three tucks and one with halfed strands would be sufficient with that rope, but not so easy to say from just a picture.
    The most slippery lines, polyester silk (if that is the correct word in English), needs four tucks and one with halfed strands, but eg hempex does not.

ETA: It looked like more than 5 tucks to me, could be because of the angle of the tucks, but now we're really into fine-tuning territory.

/Mats
    Last edited by mohsart; 08-11-2019 at 10:44 AM.

I have made some eyes in braided ropes by simply sewing the long end to the short end with many, many tight stitches of heavy sailmaking thread. Then I whip the whole thing. I don't know how strong these eyes are, but I haven't had any failures
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)