DSC_0160.jpgDSC_0156.jpgDSC_0152.jpg

Default Re: Northern Spain

Yes it is!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Beautiful...but needs a kayak or two!
    Thanks for sharing.

Is it tidal? I’d like a long lean canoe.

Just looked it up, gorgeous.

Looks lovely. If I had the disposable income to travel - I've always thought the N. or Spain would be one of the first stops. The N. coast. Portugal. Barcelona and nearby coastline. And up into the mountains on the French border.

Bet there is no good wine there..
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Looks lovely. If I had the disposable income to travel - I've always thought the N. or Spain would be one of the first stops. The N. coast. Portugal. Barcelona and nearby coastline. And up into the mountains on the French border.
    Pretty much exactly what my wife and I are doing in September. Fly into Barcelona on the 3rd and out of Milan on the 23rd. Plenty of amazing mountain, coast, wine, food and people in between. Hiring a Fiat 500 Bambino to scoot around.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

An true hippie and his old lady don’t need much. There are a thousand reasons to not go, the right reason is to go. Your budget is but a simple obstacle which you over burden your self by looking at pennies. Take a step toward going and you will. The tickets to Barcelona are less than 400 depending on time of year from Oakland.

It is with such such regret I could not spend more time in Europe. My wife got a new job and will not be coming at all - I would loved have a day to visit with Phil and his wife. I suppose learning how Steven Bauer snores and sleepwalks in a gashof or a hostel will come to been known as legendary mythology and part of the WBF repeated lore.

It's always been of interest to me but I've never been, up to now, certainly a place I want to return to. Climate seems good (not too hot or cold) good surfing, climbing and mountain biking and of course, plenty of boats. If you're so inclined, there is the Camino de Santiago pilgrim walk (I managed a couple of hundred meters while taking the pictures).
    If you want to get a flavour of the area without the hard work, pick up a copy of Clear Waters Rising by Nicholas Crane (not much to do with boats though)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Is it tidal? Id like a long lean canoe.

Just looked it up, gorgeous.
    I guess its tidal as the estuary is open to the sea just to the right of the village in the top picture, but i didn't see much in the way of movement during my time there. I was wishing for my SUP.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Bet there is no good wine there..
    Cider is the drink of choice apparently, as a teetotaller I didn't find out.
    A French guy, who lives there, didn't seem impressed with the local wine

A way back I did that coast from end to end in a tiny Fiat camper, then followed the coast up France around Brittany to Roscof for the ferry to UK. Great trip, food and wine. Prob '84

'Parrochas con pimientos padrones, y una salata casa pro favor..!'

IMG_6947.jpg

I drove the entire North coast from Santander, to La Curuna, and then down to Porto. If you can Artif, try Ribadesella, not far from you.

IMG_6630.jpg

Culillero is also interesting, I attended a Catholic / Celtic / Pagan / procession / festival with bagpipes and cider... a bronze Madonna offered to the harbour for the safe return of sailors and fishermen when I was there. It seems we have Celtic brothers and sisters down there... trade routes etc.

IMG_6659.jpg