Thread: A great new glue!

Default A great new glue!

Remember when your dentist gave you a "Blue Light Special" if you had a tooth that needed repair.
    The medical fraternity has been using this glue for years now. This glue is truly amazing as it will not set until the blue light is aimed at it. For model making it gives one time to align parts before setting the adhesive. If it is good enough for bones it should be good enough for frames but I will let someone else do that experiment!
    It is called "Bondic" and you can find it on line.
    Jay
    https://www.amazon.com/Bondic-Activa...nything/dp/B00

Default Re: A great new glue!

It may be the same thing as optical cement, meant for bonding lenses together, concave surfaces to convex. It sets with ultraviolet light. Sunlight will work too.

Link must have got mangled, but found what I think you meant...

https://www.amazon.com/Bondic-Activa.../dp/B00QU5M4MG

I remember that being the hot new "as seen on TV" stuff some 5? years ago but they seemed a bit shy of communicating exactly what it was or did, preferring to hide behind infomercially gee whizz BS, so nobody among the model aircraft dudes I was hanging with at the time could be bothered to or wanted to mess with it, since plenty of other stuff worked fine.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

I have a "pen". One end is the glue, other is the blue light.

While it ain't superglue, it's pretty neat stuff & makes it harder (but not impossible) to glue your finger to your hand.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I have had a lot of my bones saved by this kind of glue. A friend sent me the info on the site. I plan to try it as super glue often sets faster than I can get parts aligned. If the site does not work, try going to Amazon as mentioned in post #3 and look for "Bondic"
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-08-2019 at 09:39 PM.

We use UV curing adhesives where I work. They are great and do allow the extra time you mentioned to get things lined up. One thing to keep in mind about these types of adhesives is that if you can't see the glue you can't cure it. If you spread glue into a joint and then cover it up with something that does not allow light to pass through, then you are only curing the very edges of the glue. Your joint may wind up significantly weaker than intended.

I just had a filling in a tooth replaced the other day. While waiting for the plastic stuff to fully set I chatted with the assistant. She said the stuff was set with a blue light. Being somewhat familiar with UV setting cements, I asked if it was UV. She affirmed that it was but just then the dentist came back into the room and corrected her. No... it sets with blue light, not UV. I then asked if that meant blue as in the spectrum and she affirmed that. I would have liked to continue the discussion of this amazing fast setting material but couldn't with a pair of hands, grinder, suction, etc in my mouth. Alas....

UV setting glues work very well on glass. Amazing stuff.

Jeff

It does work and work very well. It, as mentioned in post #2 does mend and hold broken eye glass temples amazingly as good as new?
    Jay

Walmart has been selling it here for a few years.
    I've never tried it.
    basil

Different spectrum but still light which means you still need line of sight to the glue you are trying to cure. If you can't see it, you can't cure it. You will cure the outer edges and still have goo in the middle.

i bought the kit a few years ago and found that it held a bit, but was not very strong. maybe i was only gluing the edges?was trying to repair something plastic like they advertised. still have it so maybe will try again.

jim

I have only had it used on my teeth and bones. For that, it is OFS!
    Jay