Thread: Almost as bad as jet skis...

Default Almost as bad as jet skis...

Wake boats, I call them. Inboard engine driving the prop and a water jet designed to throw up a huge wake. The boat moves at slow speeds, but the water jet builds a huge wake that people can 'surf'. All to the detriment of every other boat on the lake. I passed this one while cruising past in my launch. I'm thinking those things on either side of the swim platform help form and shape the wave? Evil machines...

IMG_4767.jpg
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: Almost as bad as jet skis...

I am 300 miles from the ocean, but have seen a number of vehicles lately with surfboards on top. Perhaps these are why.

To say nothing of the shoreline erosion these things cause.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    To say nothing of the shoreline erosion these things cause.
    Yes, I think they will soon be banned from national and state parks. Considering you are already responsible for any damages your wake creates, this could get expensive
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Some drag around a literal ton of water ballast, which at least has neutral buoyancy in a swamping. The stupider approach lugs steel shot ballast, with all the required noise and exhaust for a cheap thrill.
    "Liberalism, once professing to advocate liberty, now is a movement for control over property, trade, work, amusements, education, and religion" - Russell Kirk

The okanogan area of BC is infested with these things, and muscle boats. And jet skis. Not the okanogan of my youth at all. It's like a testosterone and silicone fake tan drunken beach party with bad music by people that have a hard time stringing two words together without f'n this or that.

i hate those things. you get 3-4 of those out on the lake and it's ruined for everyone else. i say the same thing about the "cabin cruisers", but at least a wake boat serves some sort of purpose. i have no idea what a CABIN CRUISER was made for other than burning fuel at at high rate.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i hate those things. you get 3-4 of those out on the lake and it's ruined for everyone else. i say the same thing about the "cabin cruisers", but at least a wake boat serves some sort of purpose. i have no idea what a CABIN CRUISER was made for other than burning fuel at at high rate.
    While living on Long Island, N.Y., I saw tons of 35'-45' cabin cruisers at the docks of marinas and yacht clubs. They rarely, if ever, left the dock. They were just docked party barges.
    As for the few that did go out, on returning the skipper would come roaring up to the no-wake buoy at the entrance to the inlet and suddenly throttle down. The boat, instead of slowly coming off plane, would drop into the ocean, throw up an absolutely huge wake and cause havoc.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    While living on Long Island, N.Y., I saw tons of 35'-45' cabin cruisers at the docks of marinas and yacht clubs. They rarely, if ever, left the dock. They were just docked party barges.
    As for the few that did go out, on returning the skipper would come roaring up to the no-wake buoy at the entrance to the inlet and suddenly throttle down. The boat, instead of slowly coming off plane, would drop into the ocean, throw up an absolutely huge wake and cause havoc.

yep, sounds about right.

seriously, i don't understand the purpose of the boat. most boats have an obvious purpose.

pontoon boats-lots of people and cruising the lake
    ski boats-skiing, duh
    bass boats-duh again

but cabin cruisers... they don't carry a lot of people, you can't fish out it, you can't walk around above deck, they have a tiny sleeping quarters, they don't go fast, they make obnoxious wakes that you can't ski behind, and they get horrendous fuel economy. what's the point?

yep, sounds about right.

seriously, i don't understand the purpose of the boat. most boats have an obvious purpose.

pontoon boats-lots of people and cruising the lake
    ski boats-skiing, duh
    bass boats-duh again

but cabin cruisers... they don't carry a lot of people, you can't fish out it, you can't walk around above deck, they have a tiny sleeping quarters, they don't go fast, they make obnoxious wakes that you can't ski behind, and they get horrendous fuel economy. what's the point?
    Enclosed drinking platforms mostly.

Wake boats are the bane of paddle boarders. Around here they are equipped with loud stereos and play crappy club music. We refer to them as bro boats.

Every once in a while I an a position to surf the wake, but not often enough to have mastered it or to appreciate the constant waves and music when paddling from one cove to the next.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

This is a cabin cruiser.

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    This is a cabin cruiser.

This is what cabin cruiser once meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    This is what cabin cruiser once meant.
    If I were King, I would ban all cabin cruisers that don't mean what they once meant.
    Rattling the teacups.

Fuel is just too goddamn cheap in this country.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

i'm talking about these when i say cabin cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    The okanogan area of BC is infested with these things, and muscle boats. And jet skis. Not the okanogan of my youth at all. It's like a testosterone and silicone fake tan drunken beach party with bad music by people that have a hard time stringing two words together without f'n this or that.
    Are you talking about Lake Osoyoos? Stumbled by that place once by car, couldn't get away from it fast enough.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

To be fair, the ugliest boats usually have the best lookin wimminz.

Sadly, what wizbang said is true...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I wonder if any boater, anywhere, has ever been successfully prosecuted for damage incurred from their boat's wake. I think likely not. Except, perhaps, if the infraction occurred within the confines of a marina or other controlled area.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Sadly, what wizbang said is true...
    Why do you think I keep making ugly plywood “boats”?

Peace,
    Robert

Self-imposed happy marriage insurance, eh, Rob?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Self-imposed happy marriage insurance, eh, Rob?
    Yeah, man. I don’t want to have to get no ugly girl, now.

Peace,
    Robert

I have had some experience with these matters, and here is my non-professional take.

There actually is no explicit law in the Navigation Rules that makes boat operators responsible for their wake specifically. ( There may be local laws). Instead, a plaintiff relies on the court to interpret one or two laws in their favor, either Rule 6 ( "Take steps to avoid collision") or Rule 2b of the Inland Rules.( " due regard for all dangers and special circumstances").

So, you need to get the right judge, since there is no letter of the law about wakes.

Further compounding this dilemma is that, even if you were to videotape a boat wake banging your boat against a dock, you prove that you were waked. But how do you show that your boat wasn't already damaged or that you were not already injured?

Court sucks, basically, as a general statement.

Kevin

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Gotta be a really expensive way to surf, even at $2.50 a gallon.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Friend of mine has a 26 foot centre console with a 250hp outboard on it. He's pretty good about not waking people. but as per above where Reynard says fuel is too cheap.. his GPH is eye watering. I forget the exact number he told me, but it's close to 20gph when at full throttle. I don't think I have ever used 20 gallons in my entire sailing career
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Friend of mine has a 26 foot centre console with a 250hp outboard on it. He's pretty good about not waking people. but as per above where Reynard says fuel is too cheap.. his GPH is eye watering. I forget the exact number he told me, but it's close to 20gph when at full throttle. I don't think I have ever used 20 gallons in my entire sailing career
    When boats get 2mpg and people think that's ok, things are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Are you talking about Lake Osoyoos? Stumbled by that place once by car, couldn't get away from it fast enough.
    That is part of the same chain of lakes that stretch up the Okonagan valley. Used to be quiet farm and logging towns with nice beaches. Now it's mostly vineyards and McMansions perched on the shore.

You mean gallons per mile, right?
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Gotta be a really expensive way to surf, even at $2.50 a gallon.
    Well, if you are in Indiana or Missouri, you'd need to fly to, say, North Carolina or California, book a hotel, rent a car....

But in that one hour he goes 35 miles for 20 gallons. A six knot boat might only burn 4 or 5 gallons, but takes 6 hours.
    Money isn't everything. Boats are expensive indulgences in any case. Time is way more valuable, at least to me, because, well, I can always make more money.

Kevin

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.