Thread: Ebony bodied planes for model making

Default Ebony bodied planes for model making

Recently I bought a set of these planes to add to my collection of miniature wood working tools.
    At less than ten dollars apiece they proved to be an amazingly good investment. They work very well but need a bit of tuning before being used. The backs of the blades are ground to a slight cross blade hollow that should be allowed to remain. I used water stones to sharpen them using a jig that was made of wood to fit the bevel. These are bevel up planes and so the angle is a bit different. Setting with a light jewler's hammer allows micro adjustments and, the little flat plane, which is very handy, is comfortable if used on the pull. The set of five is the best deal!
    Jay
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ebony+pla...OShirfx4wIVfh6

Default Re: Ebony bodied planes for model making

SOLD! You tempted me beyond my ability to resist, hope my wife doesn’t call you.

Paul, I think these will charm her into doing a bit of the work. They are really nice! Again, buy the set of five as it is cheaper than getting them one by one. I am temped to get the chamfering planes as well.
    Jay

Did yours ship directly from China? Any difficulties with customs/import fees?

Yes, I think so. The ones offered by American suppliers seem to be more expensive, one costing the price of all five.
    Jay

Here is a bit of what they are helping me do.
    Jay

This is a quick and dirty study for a client to show practical use of deck space. Scale is 1/2 inch to the foot. It is not intended to be a thing of great beauty but is merely a practice project. The rods on the skylight are made of styrene and are painted to look like corroded bronze.
    Jay

I am close to being finished with the model and will post a picture when it is done.
    Jay

I have some similar planes made in India. I don't consider them any great shakes, but they were inexpensive. These look a bit better quality. The price certainly can't be beat. About the same as a decent restaurant meal these days. The Amazon ad alternately says they are made of ebony and again as made of sandalwood. A lot of ebony species imports were highly restricted or banned outright.

I actually got them from Amazon rather than directly from China but Amazon deals all over the world. At any event, the price was right. The craftsmanship is amazing and I have no complaint as to how they work.
    Jay

The model looks great Jay, I look forward to seeing more of it.

Thanks J. Madison,
    I am nearly done with it and the person it is intended for has been very patient in waiting for its completion. As mentioned, it is a scale study for deck layout and not an actual model. But, a surprise has been included for the owner that I will reveal when it is done.
    Jay