Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: You have to move tomorrow--where are you going?

Default You have to move tomorrow--where are you going?

Real world answers--no lottery fantasies please. I'm not talking about a move across town, or down the street.

You have to be able to support yourself with skills you possess right now, and you sell your current home for what it would actually bring right now. If you're in a relationship and someone else's career is affected they are part of the equation. How would it affect your kids? Where would you go and how would it affect your family?

Jeff C

Default Re: You have to move tomorrow--where are you going?

The hospital or or Hell probably or maybe both in that order.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Real world answers--no lottery fantasies please. I'm not talking about a move across town, or down the street.

You have to be able to support yourself with skills you possess right now, and you sell your current home for what it would actually bring right now. If you're in a relationship and someone else's career is affected they are part of the equation. How would it affect your kids? Where would you go and how would it affect your family?

Jeff C
    I also have to question - WHAT is the point of the exercise you propose?

I already did that - several times. I chose Nova Scotia.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I'm not sure that anyone could provide an illuminating answer to this question... it's entirely a function of the individual.

Presuming that we're talking about people of working age, and likely, with kids below the age of majority, I suppose that the destination would have to be one which balances both the opportunities for employment, as well as the cost of living and the price of real estate. Living in Massachusetts as I have for the past 47 years, I'm always amazed at how cheap real estate seems to be, in many southern locales.... but it's also likely to be true that wages and salaries in those places are correspondingly low. Furthermore, some careers might not be amenable to living in those places. For me, as an example, New England features a high concentration of industries suitable to my profession (electrical engineering), but I doubt that would be true of many of those low cost of living areas. The same goes for the career or job opportunities of a spouse, which are likely to be entirely different from those of the primary breadwinner.

Hopefully, having a more transportable profession would make the decision easier. Someone who is skilled at construction, for example, ought to be able to find work in most places... similarly, people involved in finance can often find employment, even in smaller urban areas.

Having never faced the problem, I suppose I don't have much to contribute to the discussion... but, for me, the primary consideration would be family; moving away from them would be the biggest obstacle. Maybe location isn't the primary issue... someone who needs to change employment or financial circumstances might be just as well off staying put, and looking harder for local alternatives.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

I'll start...

I would hate to leave my area--it would break my heart. I would try and find someplace similar, maybe downstate in Michigan, near Grand Rapids (South Haven, Holland), or I might move to upstate New York and find a rural spot either near Lake Ontario or the Finger Lakes region.

If I had time I might also look at Vermont or New Hampshire. I'm single, and I live on Social Security and a small pension, plus a little income from piano teaching and writing, so I am priced out of some areas of the country. I'd also like to be in a place where a friend or family member is fairly close by.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I also have to question - WHAT is the point of the exercise you propose?
    Who gives a damn what my point is--either play along or go away and darken someone else's thread...

Jeff C

Who gives a damn what my point is--either play along or go away and darken someone else's thread...

Jeff C
    The point is context. Get off your high horse.

Really?
    Rattling the teacups.

Jeff C
    My trade is fairly portable: just need a hospital with a functioning OR (and preferably a robot) and an adequate stream of referrals. My wife just needs to be within an hour or so of a decent-sized airport. Selling my house shouldn't be a problem. However, IF I was gonna move, it would be to get closer to my kids and they're still at a fairly mobile stage of life. My daughter's in college and my son should be finishing up his PhD next year. So thanks for the offer (exercise), but I'm staying put for now.

Have a nice day, David. There are lots of other threads. Enjoy them, but please stay the hell off of mine.

Thank you.

Jeff C

Here goes. If I had to sell my house here on the Maine coast, I think I would move to western Washington, most likely Port Townsend or maybe Sequim or Port Ludlow. I wouldn't have a problem finding a suitable home given real estate costs here and there. It wouldn't impact my family at all since I don't have any children and my wife likes both areas. Neither of us would miss the winters here. As far as finding "work" - sorry for using that four letter word - I am retired and have no interesting is finding another job.

The only negatives to moving to western Washington are that it would require selling my boats and buying new out there. Also some of my siblings live in Washington and it would make it harder to ignore them unless I simply didn't tell them that I moved. Even if I didn't tell them I moved they would likely eventually find out, which might be a deal killer for moving to Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    The only negatives to moving to western Washington are that it would require selling my boats and buying new out there. Also some of my siblings live in Washington and it would make it harder to ignore them unless I simply didn't tell them that I moved. Even if I didn't tell them I moved they would likely eventually find out, which might be a deal killer for moving to Washington.
    That is pretty sad
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    My trade is fairly portable: just need a hospital with a functioning OR (and preferably a robot) and an adequate stream of referrals. My wife just needs to be within an hour or so of a decent-sized airport. Selling my house shouldn't be a problem. However, IF I was gonna move, it would be to get closer to my kids and they're still at a fairly mobile stage of life. My daughter's in college and my son should be finishing up his PhD next year. So thanks for the offer (exercise), but I'm staying put for now.

But Paul ... you just answered the question posed in my thread, in plain, clear language.

Really? Don't you feel a desire to remark on how this scenario would affect all of humanity? Isn't there a deep, searching need to question my motives for posting?

Jeff C

Jeff C
    I can open a bank account and apply for credit cards. Those skills don't limit me much.

I think I would be best off to go where my wife goes. I think she would go where at least one of our grand kis is. But she might go to a rural area where she could visit mountain tops or cliffs.
    Life is complex.

I already live in the best part of the United States so it would have to be somewhere better than here. I live near the Salish Sea only a mile from the boat ramp.

A completely uneducated knee-jerk would be somewhere in New Zealand. Never been, it's just a gut feeling.

As it stands, I'm pretty lucky to be here.

I could see moving to the Olympic Peninsula. West side of the Hood Canal, or a bit beyond Port Angeles. We've also considered buying an undeveloped acre on Lopez. Somewhere with less people, more room for extra dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Portugal.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    Here goes. If I had to sell my house here on the Maine coast, I think I would move to western Washington, most likely Port Townsend or maybe Sequim or Port Ludlow. I wouldn't have a problem finding a suitable home given real estate costs here and there. It wouldn't impact my family at all since I don't have any children and my wife likes both areas. Neither of us would miss the winters here. As far as finding "work" - sorry for using that four letter word - I am retired and have no interesting is finding another job.

Port Hadlock is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I already live in the best part of the United States so it would have to be somewhere better than here. A completely uneducated knee-jerk would be somewhere in New Zealand. Never been, it's just a gut feeling.

As it stands, I'm pretty lucky to be here.
    Not a bad answer.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    That is pretty sad

Or it just is. Some relationships don’t last, some are toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Portugal.
    Kind of a wordy response, but I'll accept it.

Jeff C

My current job allows me to live nearly anywhere in Michigan and my skill set & certification means that I’ll never struggle to find work if I were to choose to go back to my old career. SWMBO’s work is also quite portable, but the vast majority of her clients are in the mitten as well. So as long as the kids are in school, we’d probably relocate to somewhere nearby. If they were up for a slight change, We’d be living down the street from you in either TC, Holland, or South Haven; especially the first two as their school districts are top-notch.

But once the kids are gone, we outta here.
    Going to go chase Brookies with Chris Smith.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Jeff C
    I get it, the short answer is if I stayed in my current career the location would have to be Ann Arbor, and that is okay, I like Ann Arbor. Just not as much as Fort Collins.

If I were tired of my career and winters in Colorado, I have thought about cashing out here. I would use the equity to pay for a small house around Biloxi or Mobile, or something in that area. Working a low stress job for low pay and just sailing and riding my bike.

If there is one thing my travels around the country have taught me is that you can find good people just about anywhere, with a few exceptions.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    I get it, the short answer is if I stayed in my current career the location would have to be Ann Arbor, and that is okay, I like Ann Arbor. Just not as much as...
    It’s no East Lansing.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Tomorrow? That is crazy talk. It would take me months to clear out 25 years worth of stuff from the attic, basement, boatshed, garage and workshop. Not to mention the stuff in the house.
    If we were to ever move it would be to be closer to any future grandchildren if we ever get any.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    I get it, the short answer is if I stayed in my current career the location would have to be Ann Arbor, and that is okay, I like Ann Arbor. Just not as much as Fort Collins.

If I were tired of my career and winters in Colorado, I have thought about cashing out here. I would use the equity to pay for a small house around Biloxi or Mobile, or something in that area. Working a low stress job for low pay and just sailing and riding my bike.

If there is one thing my travels around the country have taught me is that you can find good people just about anywhere, with a few exceptions.
    There are good people everywhere. I hate Oklahoma, I would really hate living there, but I have met many nice people from that state.

I have a feeling that you would like Traverse City a lot.

Jeff C

This is a question sometimes faced by those suddenly displaced by disaster or neglect by a landlord. I know of a few people who have faced that situation.

But whatever the reason, I've given it some thought. I would likely move aboard my boat along with my cats. I would liquidate some of my stuff and put others in storage. Then I would evaluate where I wanted to go. Some places I like are west coast of Florida, or maybe the Pacific North West like Seattle or Vancouver. Another possibility would be Maine or Nova Scotia area. Or maybe go through the Panama Canal and turn left. After sailing there I would start rebuilding my life and connections. It's a good thing that I watch such sailing shows as Untie the Lines or Sailing Uma or Drake Paragon to see what things are really like on the ground in different locations.
    Will

Dumfries
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Tomorrow? That is crazy talk. It would take me months to clear out 25 years worth of stuff from the attic, basement, boatshed, garage and workshop. Not to mention the stuff in the house.
    If we were to ever move it would be to be closer to any future grandchildren if we ever get any.
    Believe me--been there, done that. When I moved from St. Louis after Karen died it took weeks to get the house cleared out. Almost every item I threw out produced heartbreak, and I threw out and donated a lot of stuff. Half of the stuff I kept and brought with me needs to go, but I've been avoiding it.

Jeff C

I'd go upstate New York to the Catskills, likely. I have already had a lifetime at the coast, and though I love it, my vacations and weekends to the woods and mountains make me think about leaving here more and more.

On a practical level, the cost of housing is exponentially cheaper than here, and so in your scenario of, " must go," that would likely be helpful. As for work, I travel and telecommute as it is, so where I hang my hat is not income-dependent.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Mom and Dad's basement!

Oh, crap! They don't have a basement!

Rum Pirate's swimming pool.... for the view! "Watch out Rummy! Cannon Ball!" <SPLASH>
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I would move back to Mom and Dad's. These days it seems like a good option for all concerned. They also have room for my horse, cats, and dogs.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Maybe Mexico...

With no kids.. I can go most anywhere. Being a Union Stagehand, I can work most anywhere there is an IATSE house.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Moving in with dead parents is not an option in my case. I'm actually in the initial stage of an as yet amicable divorce. Her house, some paintings, heavy furniture I'll need to deal with. Probably try to foist it off on my son. What he doesn't/can't take I'll offer to family -- it's mostly heirloom type stuff. Grand piano? If my son can't take it, I'll sell it. Replace with electric piano-weighted keyboard.

Once shed of my baggage, I'll most likely move to Perpignan, France. Cost of housing is significantly less than here, health care is excellent. I can afford to live there -- I really can't afford to continue to live in California and keep the health care I now have. I speak the language, and have long dreamed of retiring to the South of France.

As for my son? He frequently flies to Europe on business: London, Bern, Warsaw. He'll soon be taking his first Coastal Passage Making outing, and we're already talking about sailing around the Balearic Islands. With me living in Perpignan, he'd likely see more of me than he does with me living in Modesto.

As for the rest of my family? I'm the Odd Duck. I'll be missed, but I'll get away with it.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson