Thread: A Ferry Incident

Default A Ferry Incident

My wife drove some friends up to an art fair on Whidbey. Coming back, she went up to use the restroom. Back downstairs they chatted while the ferry pulled in to Mukilteo.
    As other cars began to start, she pushed the start button (Honda Fit) and there was a was a beeping sound and all the little dash icons blinked on and off.
    She pushed the button again and it all stopped. Never happened before.
    Second try and it happened again.
    A crewman came up asked what's going on, and began directing traffic around her.
    Second guy came up and she showed him the flashing lights. He asked her to get the key out of her purse. She did and the car started right up.

Anyone have an explanation?
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Default Re: A Ferry Incident

The purse was acting as an unintentional rfid blocker?
    "We all have a gift, Frank. Yours will reveal itself. Eventually."

Faraday purse?

Metal mesh purses can do that

Usually when you read there's been a ferry incident, it's about one capsizing somewhere and tragedy. So thanks for not having to tell us that.

You should be proud, your wife saved lives.

It mighta been the Lithuanians, hacked the car.

Or, it might also have been a sunspot.

Or, Katherine could just tell us.

The last time I was on a ferry, it was on the return to Vallejo from San Francisco, the day after Christmas last, with the two grandkids, twelve and seven, who got impressed into service by the boat's captain, to stand at the helm with him and help pilot the boat.

I think he had them put the passenger's' ticket stubs in the box, and tell him the tally.
    Been here, done this.

A lot of people keep their credit cards in an RF proof slip case to stop malls or paywave reading them when they're unaware of it. I'd imagine that if one of those was between the cars receiver and the key that might cause an issue.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Anyone have an explanation?
    The second crewmember had previous experience in that matter.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

It's pretty common with keyless ignition. All sorts of stuff in purses screws with radio waves. She probably had her phone in there, too.

Y'all got it right away. Going up the stairs on the ferry, her keys dropped out of her pocket. She put them in her RFID purse.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

My otherwise disturbingly reliable Honda Jazz (Fit) developed an issue a week or so ago. The yellow engine emissions light came on. The manual said 'take it to a dealer: engine damage could occur'. I googled the issue, and one of the first returned hits suggested it was due to a fault on the lower oxygen sensor, situated directly under the oil filter, which can get covered in oil during a filter change. Well, the car had had a filter change about a month previously.

Off to the garage. I told the mechanic "I don't have the fault code, but there's every chance it's the lower oxygen sensor.'

I returned, an hour or so later, to find the car fixed, and the mechanic looking at me in a 'how the flip did you know?' kind-of-way.

The Internet: not all bad.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

What kind of purse, eel skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Faraday purse?
    +1 Hahahaha

My father’s office had a huge Faraday gage inside a sound proof room the room was completely surrounded my foam cones including floor and ceiling. Th cage was suspended above the floor. It was awesome.... like something out of James Bond.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    My otherwise disturbingly reliable Honda Jazz (Fit) developed an issue a week or so ago. The yellow engine emissions light came on. The manual said 'take it to a dealer: engine damage could occur'. I googled the issue, and one of the first returned hits suggested it was due to a fault on the lower oxygen sensor, situated directly under the oil filter, which can get covered in oil during a filter change. Well, the car had had a filter change about a month previously.

Off to the garage. I told the mechanic "I don't have the fault code, but there's every chance it's the lower oxygen sensor.'

I returned, an hour or so later, to find the car fixed, and the mechanic looking at me in a 'how the flip did you know?' kind-of-way.

The Internet: not all bad.

Andy
    For every time the internet is right, there are ten times it is wrong.

Customers routinely come in with the story, "I researched it and want you to replace *insert part here*."

So I do. The problem doesn't get fixed. They get mad and demand we disgnose it for free since we replaced the wrong part. We say no, you can bill the internet. They get even madder. In the end, they end up paying double what it would have cost if we just diagnosed it in the first place.

There's a sign at one shop that says $5 for watching me fix it, $20 for helping me fix it.
    Will

For every time the internet is right, there are ten times it is wrong.
    The Internet is neither right nor wrong. Its just a resource tool. Some people know how to use it. Others use it the way people who need a wrench use pliers instead.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Good business model, sean; pi$$ off the paying customer!

I've yet to encounter the mechanic who replaces a part because I tell him to; they all confirm the suspected fault before fixing it.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I just describe the problem and appear to be somewhat smart about how cars work. That seems to go well and avoid problems.
    Will

I had a similarly weird experience with my 2013 F-150 recently. Stopped for gas in the middle of nowhere on the way to Colorado. Put the key in the ignition and the truck just cranked continuously without firing until I rotated the key in the ignition back (it's not key-less.) Tried again, same thing. I ended up getting out of the truck, locking it with the key fob, and then unlocking it. Tried again and fired right up. Whew. Ghosts in the machine...