Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It Ainít Video Games!

Default Re: It Ainít Video Games!

That mysterious conjunction of cats and technology again. I bet there are pics of them lolling on the internet somewhere too...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    That mysterious conjunction of cats and technology again. I bet there are pics of them lolling on the internet somewhere too...
    There is a thing called a bow net used in baseball and softball. The other evening our dog ran into ours, essentially capturing herself in our net.

Now, a 120 pound mastiff at full stride is not the same kinetic energy as a softball, so, of course the thing collapsed around her, too.
    We still argue whether it was funnier to see the dog semi struggling but semi resigned to being trapped, or to see all 250 odd pounds of Quadzilla literally rolling in the grass giggling uncontrollably. He was gasping and wheezing for a good twenty minutes.
    If you say bow net, he will crack up.

Yes, bow net frames are VERY thin steel tubing.

Yes, I can still repair a hole blown through VERY thin tubing...

Peace,
    Robert

that sounds just awesome. Awesome awesome awesome.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

that sounds just awesome. Awesome awesome awesome.
    What is the funniest thing to me is the dog is NOT allowed to touch any softball or baseball with her mouth. No! But, she has a few hanks of rope and a few tennis type balls that she plays with when Daughter or Youngest Son hit into the net, or when we play yard ball.
    We have a miniature set of plywood bases and a special “wiffle” type ball we play with in the yard. It’s like The Sandlot, but the dog is in the game, too. She plays outfield. She will chase down the hits, with her own ball or rope in her mouth. If it’s the rope she has, everyone stands well clear, because she shakes the rope vigorously when she chases the ball, and you do NOT want one of those knots to hit you!

When we do “soft toss” hitting drills, she will stand on the other side of the bow net we hit into, and “catch” all the balls. Shaking her rope, or chewing “her” ball for all she’s worth.

And, yes, she has been drilled by errant hits before. Though, being a mastiff, she didn’t even flinch. These dogs are terrifyingly like armored tanks in their disposition and operation.

I am repainting the duck punt, and yesterday she ran into it while “chasing birds out of the yard”, which means running along, looking up, and barking at any bird dumb enough to fly over HER yard.
    She ran into it so hard it fell off the horse it’s resting on, and fell to the ground. She didn’t even pause in the slightest, either. It looked as if she ran through the danged thing.

But, she’s scared of her own tail. If it bonks something, or knocks something down, she skedaddles!

Peace,
    The Dog Rambler

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Leisure Suit Larry? I only ask as some cats I know made that game.

Peace,
    Robert
    Yes, Leisure Suit Larry, the ultimate Lounge Lizard. Sierra games. Did you know Ken and Roberta? I was in a somewhat related business, those were heady days of early game development.

Epic. My nearest joy to that is watching The Daughter's almost year old pup (goldendoodle) lope around. Not enough room in our yard or the Daughter's for pup to shift gears into a full run, so he has to content himself with cantering, like a harness racing horse. Body is completely still, with these trotting legs moving him along at alarming speed. And being a pup, not quite complete control over direction, and especially braking. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Yes, Leisure Suit Larry, the ultimate Lounge Lizard. Sierra games. Did you know Ken and Roberta? I was in a somewhat related business, those were heady days of early game development.
    Vaguely. Some of my buddies cut their teeth coding or whatever for Sierra. I never got into computers, so I never actually played the game. There WERE some bomb trails up there, though, and I knew most of the folks in town, then.

Not now.

Sheesh!

Peace,
    Robert

ETA I just thought about how long ago that was. Seems like only a few years ago.

Epic. My nearest joy to that is watching The Daughter's almost year old pup (goldendoodle) lope around. Not enough room in our yard or the Daughter's for pup to shift gears into a full run, so he has to content himself with cantering, like a harness racing horse. Body is completely still, with these trotting legs moving him along at alarming speed. And being a pup, not quite complete control over direction, and especially braking. Hilarious.
    Ours gets up to a full blown horse gallop, and if sheís lapping the yard, she will use the berms to turn. It is hilarious to watch a dog go up in the high banks.

What is the worst, and scariest part of Lucy? She can stop and turn on a dime. We wondered why the enormous feet, with substantial webs between the toes and large claws and pads were all about until she was about 1. Then, we saw the handling develop.

It is a favorite game of hers to cut sharp, and to weave between things. There are often large areas of scooped up grass and dirt from her turns. She can place the front feet, turn her head, pivot, place the rear feet, and pivot in a new direction, up to about 120*, with apparently NO effort.

It takes 4-6 people to ďtrapĒ her. The boys and I can never catch her if itís just the three of us.

Well, for about 10 minutes.

Then she flops over and her tongue spills out over the edge of her floppy jowls and gets coated in grass.

Peace,
    Robery

ETA And THAT is persistence hunting!

Remember when Laverne and Shirley was the most popular show on TV for several years. See what that led to?

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Remember when Laverne and Shirley was the most popular show on TV for several years. See what that led to?

LMAO
    Do you know what "the walking dead" led to?

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Do you know what "the walking dead" led to?
    "So you think you can Dance?"

Too many zombie costumes at Halloween?
    Nosce te ipsum

Ours gets up to a full blown horse gallop, and if she’s lapping the yard, she will use the berms to turn. It is hilarious to watch a dog go up in the high banks.

What is the worst, and scariest part of Lucy? She can stop and turn on a dime. We wondered why the enormous feet, with substantial webs between the toes and large claws and pads were all about until she was about 1. Then, we saw the handling develop.

It is a favorite game of hers to cut sharp, and to weave between things. There are often large areas of scooped up grass and dirt from her turns. She can place the front feet, turn her head, pivot, place the rear feet, and pivot in a new direction, up to about 120*, with apparently NO effort.

It takes 4-6 people to “trap” her. The boys and I can never catch her if it’s just the three of us.

Well, for about 10 minutes.

Then she flops over and her tongue spills out over the edge of her floppy jowls and gets coated in grass.

Peace,
    Robery

ETA And THAT is persistence hunting!
    thx for that. My old dog Miles was a long legged Lab/Rot. With a new born baby I was worried about him accidentally running into her but his control was impeccable.

Have you ever noticed that those who jump on the "Evil Video Games" bandwagon don't seem to have teenagers or play games themselves. My wife and I just tag teamed our way through Just Cause 3, when we could get the XBox away from our teenager who is playing Gears of War, and if movies and video games had these magical powers, my wife and I would be planning to overthrow and island dictatorship, Gloucester would be having problems with Stevadore hook killings, and small towns everywhere would have cheesy knife killers with ghost masks. Oh, and I'd be dreading running into Carmageddon players on my morning commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    While some are flogging the video game scapegoat consider what the one common factor among mass shootings might be.
    Men and guns and men and menÖÖÖ.. and gunsÖ...maybe?
    How many women shooters? I can only remember one way back, Texas school, shot from a tower, they wrote a song

"So you think you can Dance?"
    A massive increase in demand for colt pythons.

If the brain can tell the difference between fact and fiction, why does anyone cry during a sad movie?
    If the brain cannot tell the difference, why would you subject it to mental trauma voluntarily?

If the brain can tell the difference between fact and fiction, why does anyone cry during a sad movie?
    If the brain cannot tell the difference, why would you subject it to mental trauma voluntarily?
    So now that the addiction flag bore no salute, we’re going to hoist one for empathy?

Btw: you asked for another example (beyond the one that YOU PROVIDED) to contradict the “all mass killers” argument...

Here you go: Bath School Disaster
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

I am repainting the duck punt
    #cartoon sound of my eyes screeching to a halt while reading this thread.

Do tell! Will it be:

1/ Battleship grey with trompe l'œil rivets along the fake plate edges?
    2/ WW1 dazzle?
    3/ Vantablack?
    4/ BRG?
    5/ B17-aluminium-coloured, with nose art depicting a well-endowed and scantily clad duck shooting a blunderbus?

Andy, needing to know.
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

I vote for #5.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    #cartoon sound of my eyes screeching to a halt while reading this thread.

Do tell! Will it be:

1/ Battleship grey with trompe l'úil rivets along the fake plate edges?
    2/ WW1 dazzle?
    3/ Vantablack?
    4/ BRG?
    5/ B17-aluminium-coloured, with nose art depicting a well-endowed and scantily clad duck shooting a blunderbus?

Andy, needing to know.
    She will be green outside, and grey inside.

Well, with a band of ďcamouflageĒ along the upper strake.

Peace,
    Robert

"camo" to look like families of doodle-ducks on a nice outing?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    So now that the addiction flag bore no salute, we’re going to hoist one for empathy?

Btw: you asked for another example (beyond the one that YOU PROVIDED) to contradict the “all mass killers” argument...

Here you go: Bath School Disaster
    Wow. You had to go back a ways eh? Of course, at that time a "social media trail" is a little harder to locate, and, not being part of the modern mass killing phenomenon, all the details of his life were hardly sifted through. But ok, I'll give you him.
    As to the Vegas guy, he seems to have had a very secret side life. I don't give you him. I simply stated that due to his secrecy, nothing much is known about him. He didn't post a manifesto or have social media rants. He seems to have had a very secret second life. Nothing has been found. Yet.

So yes, I would have been more accurate to say "all recent mass killers".

If you can't see how the brain chemistry of addiction and the brain chemistry of empathy are relevant I can't help you.

Let me ask you this:

Do you think that the ongoing media surrounding mass killings, like it has been with columbine, is positive? Do you think movies and tv mini series about them is a good thing? Do you think it's good that you know their names but not those of the victims? Do you think that repeated exposure to that media reduces empathy?
    Last edited by Decourcy; 08-15-2019 at 08:52 AM.

She will be green outside, and grey inside.
    Ah, you're teasing us - snot green, goose s--- green, toxic algae green? There are so many to choose from. And don't start me on greys - I barely survived an online discussion on 'correct' WW1 battleship greys a few years ago. (The answer? Complex. For the RN, official suggestions from a warm office in Whitehall that combined with 'what was available in the paintshop that week' and 'CO's whim' in the cold, dark, wet of Scapa.)

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Ah, you're teasing us - snot green, goose s--- green, toxic algae green? There are so many to choose from. And don't start me on greys - I barely survived an online discussion on 'correct' WW1 battleship greys a few years ago. (The answer? Complex. For the RN, official suggestions from a warm office in Whitehall that combined with 'what was available in the paintshop that week' and 'CO's whim' in the cold, dark, wet of Scapa.)

Andy
    The green is a contrivance of blue and yellow, while the grey is a blend of black and white.

I will go snap a picture...

Peace,
    Robert
    Last edited by amish rob; 08-15-2019 at 09:12 AM.

B922100F-74A6-47AE-9618-343FEE9F5E6A.jpg

Stripe is 24% finished, and it needs another two coats of green, yet. The green will go after the stripe...

89F66263-959E-43C8-8590-AA8ECE42C5A8.jpg

The bowels. Yes, the picture is really upside down. So is the boat...

Peace,
    Bob Ross

Awesome. I feel for your boat: my bowels were upside down the other day too. TMI, but there it is. Tell the boat that things will work out .... in the end.

Awesome. I feel for your boat: my bowels were upside down the other day too. TMI, but there it is. Tell the boat that things will work out .... in the end.
    Everything always works out, in the end. If it ainít worked out, yet, you ain't at the end.

Peace,
    Robert

Wow. You had to go back a ways eh? Of course, at that time a "social media trail" is a little harder to locate, and, not being part of the modern mass killing phenomenon, all the details of his life were hardly sifted through. But ok, I'll give you him.
    As to the Vegas guy, he seems to have had a very secret side life. I don't give you him. I simply stated that due to his secrecy, nothing much is known about him. He didn't post a manifesto or have social media rants. He seems to have had a very secret second life. Nothing has been found. Yet.

So yes, I would have been more accurate to say "all recent mass killers".

If you can't see how the brain chemistry of addiction and the brain chemistry of empathy are relevant I can't help you.

Let me ask you this:

Do you think that the ongoing media surrounding mass killings, like it has been with columbine, is positive? Do you think movies and tv mini series about them is a good thing? Do you think it's good that you know their names but not those of the victims? Do you think that repeated exposure to that media reduces empathy?
    Jeebus. It’s like talking to a squirrel... or Popeye (I miss that guy).

Do try to keep to the topic at hand please. Or start your own thread on the studies, or lack there of, that disprove your ever evolving, anecdotal theories.

You might start with the kid at the Indian reservation school in Minnesota and the truck driver at the Amish school. They seem to be punching holes in the latest iteration of the facts, as you see them.

As it stands, I’ve done enough of your homework for you. But honestly, I was just thrilled to see one of my threads hit page two.

Lastly, I feel there’s something missing from the litany of questions in your final paragraph...

Oh, that’s right: Video Games.

Take care, bud.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"