Thread: Cheoy Lee Lapworth 50 "Paulalynn" down in Fisher's Island Sound

Default Cheoy Lee Lapworth 50 "Paulalynn" down in Fisher's Island Sound

(a forum search for this boat brings up a now-locked thread from 2011)

I'm sure she was something to behold back in her day...
    Important Information for boaters transiting Fisher's Island Sound and the waters around Latimer Light:
    The Paulalynn is a 50 foot wooden sailing vessel which broke down on July 18th, and sank on August 1st, in position 41*18.135, 71*55.809
    It is important to note that the wreck buoy marks the location of the sailing vessel's hull. The vessel's mast is just visible at low tide and is a hazard to safe navigation in this area, so it is best to avoid the general area of the wreck buoy.

In that photo she's almost exactly in the position noted of the sunken wreck... the tide-wake leads one to think that she anchored upon the breakdown and sunk at anchor?
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Cheoy Lee Lapworth 50 "Paulalynn" down in Fisher's Island Sound

Who are the irresponsible twits who move a vessel in that condition ?
    Or anchor there...looks like a 2 knot current. She already half sunk in the pic.

I won't argue the twit part, but anchoring was possibly the most seamanlike thing that happened that day.
    If you're adrift there and you DON'T get the anchor down, within minutes you're either on the rocks or you've been swept through the passage and you're a mile offshore, quite possibly in water too deep to anchor.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

I heard some VHF discussion about “the abandon sailboat” by Latimer reef then.

I won't argue the twit part, but anchoring was possibly the most seamanlike thing that happened that day.
    If you're adrift there and you DON'T get the anchor down, within minutes you're either on the rocks or you've been swept through the passage and you're a mile offshore, quite possibly in water too deep to anchor.
    Yep. That's Latimer Reef Light. The current roars there, when it gets going. T

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.