Thread: Vintage prototype Thompson jet boat what do I have please help ?

Default Vintage prototype Thompson jet boat what do I have please help ?

I have inherited my grandfathers thompson and it has a jet drive that was built in 1961 accordin* to Berkeley I canít find the Thompson tag but the boat was designed as a jet boat never had an outboard that I can tell does anyone know if thompson experimented with these ?

Default Re: Vintage prototype Thompson jet boat what do I have please help ?

I can't help you with your question, but just wanted to comment, "How cool is THAT?!!"
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

How does that thing steer? Is there a rudder inside the nozzle?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    How does that thing steer? Is there a rudder inside the nozzle?

The nozzel door turns directing the flow itís on a cable pulley system

I agree,.... How cool!

The boat looks like a Thomboy model made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, Wisconsin. The company did experiment with different propulsions units, so it would not surprise me that the factory did this. Or it could have been sold as an outboard and a dealer or subsequent buyer put the jet drive in her. I see Pete Thompson fairly often. If I remember, I will ask him.

Is there a HULL ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat?

Thompson Bros. Boat of Peshtigo was one of the first to adopt the Volvo Penta stern drive which was introduced to the boating world at the January 1959 New York Boat Show. By the summer of 1959 they had put 80 HP and 100 HP I/O units in their Sea Lancer and Off-Shore models as option to outboard power.

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
    President
    Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell ray View Post
    The nozzel door turns directing the flow it’s on a cable pulley system
    I clocked the pulley system, but can see no other detail apart from that fixed nozzle.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

That looks like a Ford Falcon (Mustang) engine...

The nozzel door turns directing the flow it’s on a cable pulley system
    Do you have a better photo of her whole stern? After much digging, I was unable to find any info at all on a Berkeley 10J4 jet drive. You’re going to want one of these- https://www.amazon.com/Selocs-Marine.../dp/0893300292, and you’ll probably need to contact Berkeley directly for information and parts availability on that particular drive. They may be able to look it up via the serial number...

Signed- John, a USMC jet boat mechanic from 2001-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    Do you have a better photo of her whole stern? After much digging, I was unable to find any info at all on a Berkeley 10J4 jet drive. Youíre going to want one of these- https://www.amazon.com/Selocs-Marine.../dp/0893300292, and youíll probably need to contact Berkeley directly for information and parts availability on that particular drive. They may be able to look it up via the serial number...

Signed- John, a USMC jet boat mechanic from 2001-2009

I think this one is better
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can’t find the Hull I d number but there was a reg tag but someone removed it as a collector item I guess but I did see that at one time I have engine block numbers and the Berkeley number but it’s a 1961 pump and they don’t have records evidently ..email me at RR6371@ att.com I have more pics and the steering is on the right side.

I think someone else said it first but I will say it again.

Dude, that is bad ass.
    I don't cuss much for a sailor - that said, I may cuss to much for a preacher...

I can’t find the Hull I d number but there was a reg tag but someone removed it as a collector item I guess but I did see that at one time I have engine block numbers and the Berkeley number but it’s a 1961 pump and they don’t have records evidently ..email me at RR6371@ att.com I have more pics and the steering is on the right side.
    Berkeley started making Jet drives in 1960; this is definitely an earlier example of their designs. Later designs have a longer nozzle extending aft and an external “bucket” or thrust diverter to enable reverse. I’m mostly interested in photos of the drive as seen from inside the transom, as I may be able to point out maintenance items/locations for you. Was there any paperwork with the boat?

I have had 4 pre-1970 Thompsons and never heard of a jet drive.
    you may have a prototype that never made it out of the test barn.
    keep doing your research - you may have something pretty valuable.

If it was made before 1972 it won't have a Hull Identification Number. It may have a manufacturer serial number somewhere, but that is not an HIN. Look here for some info on Thompson http://www.fiberglassics.com/library...=Thompson_Bros
    "Don't tell me that I can't. Tell me how I can!"
    Ike
    New Boatbuilders Home Page