Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobbys
    • Jun 2009

Re: Losing friends in divisive times.

I have not lost any friends here, sure there have been a few squabbles and pies thrown but I still love all of youse!

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
      obnoxiously persistent.
      • Jan 2005

It's ill taking the breeks aff a wild Highlandman
      I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
        Who?
        • Aug 1999

Originally posted by Robbie 2
        Didn't want to post but feel I must.
        We constantly hear from NRA and pro-gun people that the 2nd amendment gives them the right to own their guns.
        Also....it is too hard/can't be done to change the 2nd amendment.
        Therefore, DON'T change the 2nd amendment. ENACT it.
        CALL UP THE MILITIA.........have them report to whatever military base is closest on a given day.
        Any gun owner who doesn't report is immediately illegal and commits a felony by holding onto their firearms.
        The NRA/gun owners should have no complaint as the 2nd amendment requires them to be part of a well trained Militia.
        When they realise that they have to report/train periodically and are
        likely to be the 1st off the rank whenever needed for deployment to the USA's next military adventure,
        the desire to hold onto their firearms will diminish very quickly.
        This seems like much the best idea.

A reasonable standard of physical fitness, as well as discipline, would seem to be envisaged by the words "well regulated".
        IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• SeanM26
          • Jun 2019

They haven't tried to confiscate any bump stocks, yet.

Comment

• TomF
            Recalcitrant Heretic
            • Jun 2003

I'd noticed that. Cowards.
            If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• Canoez
              Did I say that out loud?
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by SeanM26
              Are you sure? Really? Unequivocably?

I'm sure some have likely been found and taken in traffic stops or home searches where firearms are involved. I believe there were a few incidents with the Red Flag rule in MA in the past few months.

From what I understand, there was some compliance with the law and folks turned them in, but I don't think the distribution was widespread - anyone who knows anything about firearms knows that a really high rate of fire takes a toll on barrels and other components, so I'm sure the popularity was limited.

Eventually when they make an appearance, any remaining bump stocks in circulation will be confiscated.
              "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
              -William A. Ward

Comment

• Garret
                Hills of Vermont
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Robbie 2
                Didn't want to post but feel I must.
                We constantly hear from NRA and pro-gun people that the 2nd amendment gives them the right to own their guns.
                Also....it is too hard/can't be done to change the 2nd amendment.
                Therefore, DON'T change the 2nd amendment. ENACT it.
                CALL UP THE MILITIA.........have them report to whatever military base is closest on a given day.
                Any gun owner who doesn't report is immediately illegal and commits a felony by holding onto their firearms.
                The NRA/gun owners should have no complaint as the 2nd amendment requires them to be part of a well trained Militia.
                When they realise that they have to report/train periodically and are
                likely to be the 1st off the rank whenever needed for deployment to the USA's next military adventure,
                the desire to hold onto their firearms will diminish very quickly.
                I like this one. No one in DC would ever have the guts to do it, but...
                "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Tom Hunter
                  • Jun 2004

We don't need to ban guns, we could solve most of this problem with regulation and licensing.

The idea that there is no solution is a murderous lie which people often tell themselves. Another lie is that we need to ban guns or take them away.

Simple steps like banning online purchases would help a lot. They would also help the neighborhood gun dealer, but I don't think the NRA actually cares about that guy.

Require training and licenses.

Background checks. The only influential people in American politics opposed to this are Vladimir Putin and Mitch McConnell.

There is a long list of things that would help.
                  Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Comment

• LeeG
                    • May 2002

Originally posted by mmd
                    They did it with heroin and marijuana. There were good people on both sides. With a stroke of the pen they made one side criminals.
                    Age for alcohol purchases went from 18 to 21 , no civil war.

Comment

• LeeG
                      • May 2002

Originally posted by SKIP KILPATRICK
                      Reynard,

Re: OP

I lost a really good friend over an argument about removing the Lee Statue from the town square in Charlottesville. He lived a block away on the same street as the statue and we would walk past it to go downtown. Our argument happened over a few beers and became overheated. It was 5 months prior to that violent day, Heather Heyer lost her live.

Despite all that has happened I still miss John's friendship and he will always have a place in my heart. I would speak to him again but I doubt his pride would ever allow it. My attempts to communicate with him have gone unanswered and at this point, I doubt I'll try again.

good luck,
                      I have pub friends. One fellow was charming and fun to be around. After Trump was in he started goading me with racist comments and humor. When I said cut that chit out he responded with “Oh don’t be so sensitive”. Funny what has bubbled up to the surface.

Comment

• David G
                        • Dec 2003

David G
                        Harbor Woodworks
                        https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• gypsie
                          NSW Australia
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by SeanM26
                          As the bump stocks become apparant they will take them and fine the owner.
                          If you are engaged in something illegal and are in possession of a bump stock - you'll get a harder sentence.

Because something is illegal doesn't mean the police are going to raid every house in the USA. Laws work over time, not instantly.
                          It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Comment

• bobbys
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by oznabrag
                            Laughable.

The PURPOSE of government is to institute LAW.

The slippery slope you are so rapidly sliding down ends in anarchy, violence, famine and slavery.
                            Like sanctuary city laws are lawful?

How about sanctuary gun citys.?

Comment

• bobbys
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by LeeG
                              I have pub friends. One fellow was charming and fun to be around. After Trump was in he started goading me with racist comments and humor. When I said cut that chit out he responded with “Oh don’t be so sensitive”. Funny what has bubbled up to the surface.
                              Every lib here has a story about their wayward Republican uncle, neighbor, co worker., it's just we have never heard from any of these mythical people yet.

Comment

• amish rob
                                Emperor For Life
                                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bobbys
                                Like sanctuary city laws are lawful?

How about sanctuary gun citys.?
                                You keep yammering about sanctuary cities but don’t know what they are.

Peace,
                                Robert

Comment

Working...