Thread: Advice for a Scamp going into Lake Washington

Question Advice for a Scamp going into Lake Washington

Greetings! We are planning to take our Scamp through the Ballard Locks and spend a few days exploring Lake Washington and Lake Union. We have never done this before. Any suggestions for places to anchor, or marinas that are friendly to tiny boats? We will need some access to electricity, as we have an electric motor and the battery will need to be recharged.

Thanks!
    Samantha on Kerfuffle

Default Re: Advice for a Scamp going into Lake Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Greetings! We are planning to take our Scamp through the Ballard Locks and spend a few days exploring Lake Washington and Lake Union. We have never done this before. Any suggestions for places to anchor, or marinas that are friendly to tiny boats? We will need some access to electricity, as we have an electric motor and the battery will need to be recharged.

Thanks!
    Samantha on Kerfuffle
    Samantha, unfortunately there are almost no places to anchor inside the locks as it is prohibited everywhere except Andrews Cove at the south end of Lake Washington. And there is no transient moorage at all. It's not an area that is amenable to small boat camp cruising. I could probably help you find some unofficial places to tie up for a night or two but they would be at working yards and docks near the locks and not very scenic, nor very convenient for exploring. If you want to explore the area it would be a much nicer experience to trailer Kerfuffle and take day trips around the lakes while staying at some comfortable place ashore at night.

Edit: Actually, I will make one amendment here: In some cases it is possible to moor at the University of Washington small craft dock in Union Bay. It's a nice place to tie up for the night but there is no power available there.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

... and now you have me thinking about how one could take a nice Scamp cruise inside the locks. You would have to rely on the kindness of strangers to a certain extent. It might be possible to spend a night at the Center for Wooden Boats dock or tied up at a houseboat on Lake Union if you could find someone willing to host you. Another night at the UW dock could be arranged. Then maybe a night at the Leschi public dock (not legal, but you might get away with it) or find an unused slip at one of the marinas on Lake Washington for a night. Then a night or two in Andrews Bay. Hm - yes, maybe you could do that. It would require working out some logistics but I'd be happy to talk to my various contacts and see what could be worked out.
    - Chris

Lake Union
    In the past, CWB ran the South Lake Union Park seawall next to the Virginia 5. You might be able to pay for a bit of linear footage there. Lots of marinas on the lake where you could probably get overnight/guest moorage. I'm not the right person to know what those would be.

There are some small beaches at the various street end parks around the lake, including along the east side of Gasworks Park. I've always liked pulling up at the beach next to Pete's Grocery (https://www.peteswineshop.com/) for an hour or so You can get a decent sandwich and cold beer in there.

Lake Washington
    On Lake Washington, you can also anchor in the shallows off St Edwards Park at the north end of the lake. Check your chart. I've seen people doing what you're doing anchored along there.

I found this too: http://slowboat.com/2017/03/where-ca...ke-washington/

I don't know where you can recharge but this seems like a moment with a decent sized solar panel would be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Thank you, Chris and Yeadon. That is very helpful information. I will let you know how it goes!
    Samantha

We ended up spending a wonderful week on the Scamp. We trailered her to Poulsbo from our home in Olympia, and had a great sail across to Shilshole Marina. We walked up to look at the Ballard Locks, and the next day went through early in the morning. It was easy, and it was not crowded. The lock tenders were friendly and helpful.

We sailed in Lake Union, and got to see lots of interesting houseboats.

By luck, we found a place where we could moor the boat and visit with our daughter, who lives in Seattle -- this was at Agua Verde Paddle Club and restaurant. We then tried to explore Lake Washington, but the wind died, and it was mighty choppy in the cut from all the motor boat wakes. We had an electric motor, the EP Carry, which worked well, but we were afraid we would run out of power before we found a place to stay for the night. My husband started to row the Scamp, and some Good Samaritans in a motorboat offered us a tow. They were going to Fisherman's Terminal, which they said allowed overnight mooring. Thanks to the tow and their good advice, we spent two nights tied up at Fisherman's Terminal-- time to explore Seattle and visit with our kid. It was great!

Coming back through the Locks was easy, as we had done it before. We sailed to Brownsville, which has a nice marina, then headed back to Poulsbo and trailered the boat home.

It was a very fine vacation.

Cozy Cove, on the east shore of Lake Washington, just north of the 520 bridge. There are three coves, Cozy is the middle one. The others might be legal too, I don't know. But I know someone who has anchored overnight in Cozy Cove with a 19' keelboat many times over the years.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    We ended up spending a wonderful week on the Scamp. We trailered her to Poulsbo from our home in Olympia, and had a great sail across to Shilshole Marina. We walked up to look at the Ballard Locks, and the next day went through early in the morning. It was easy, and it was not crowded. The lock tenders were friendly and helpful.

We sailed in Lake Union, and got to see lots of interesting houseboats.

By luck, we found a place where we could moor the boat and visit with our daughter, who lives in Seattle -- this was at Agua Verde Paddle Club and restaurant. We then tried to explore Lake Washington, but the wind died, and it was mighty choppy in the cut from all the motor boat wakes. We had an electric motor, the EP Carry, which worked well, but we were afraid we would run out of power before we found a place to stay for the night. My husband started to row the Scamp, and some Good Samaritans in a motorboat offered us a tow. They were going to Fisherman's Terminal, which they said allowed overnight mooring. Thanks to the tow and their good advice, we spent two nights tied up at Fisherman's Terminal-- time to explore Seattle and visit with our kid. It was great!

Coming back through the Locks was easy, as we had done it before. We sailed to Brownsville, which has a nice marina, then headed back to Poulsbo and trailered the boat home.

It was a very fine vacation.
    Glad it worked out Samantha! That sounds like a nice vacation. I didn't realize that Fisherman's Terminal allowed transient overnight stays - that's very useful information.
    - Chris