Thread: Painting over old varnish: Annapolis Wherry

Default Painting over old varnish: Annapolis Wherry

I just acquired an Annapolis Wherry. I have always thought they were gorgeous and (oh god this is hilarious) a woman near my office and her wife inherited this thing from an engineer they knew, after he passed away. They went out and bought about $600 worth of power tools (a router, a belt sander, a portable contractor Rigid table saw--you know, the kind of stuff you need to sand a boat) and 15 minutes later decided to try to sell it to someone else, and finally they decided to give it away. This eventually became me. One of them asked me how to change one of those "belt thingies" on a Bosch belt sander that had not yet actually been turned on. I was told they "have some other projects" when I asked about selling me the tools. They are lucky they didn't start out with the belt sander. It had a 40 grit belt on it, never turned on!

The boat, however, is in very good condition. The former owner varnished the entire boat, no paint, and it sat outside upside down under a tarp for a few winters, so some varnish is peeling up here and there. I want to paint the outside of the hull--it's a kit boat so there are some amateur errors cosmetically--but my question is, how much do I have to worry about cutting that varnish completely? If I sand and prime, some amount of the original varnish will still be intact, I would think, in the wood grain...do I need to use a chemical stripper? I hope not, these boats are pretty good size, about 19 ft.

Thank in advance.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Default Re: Painting over old varnish: Annapolis Wherry

Has a minor fracture on the top of the stern. I'll probably just add a locust wear strip and not fool with replacement.

Included a set of very well done 10 ft. oars and a set of outriggers for the oars.

I have always thought these things were drop dead gorgeous. stock photo

You are going to need to sand back until you get to varnish that is solidly attached to the wood still. All the varnish needs to be sanded so there is some tooth for the paint to attach to.

OK, that is doable. I don't want to do a chem strip.

Nice boat! what's her name? Love that she has crew already

Consider heat gun and scraper to get the big chunks gone. You don't need to get all the varnish gone, just the flaky stuff then whatever sanding you need to get a smooth surface for primer.

Check out Lou's video on heat guns:

Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

My boat Sally was completely varnished with several coats right out of the box, then painted.
    I don't see any problems other than getting any loose or rotton varnish off.
    Nice boat!

HI JAKE! I still have the remnants of some copper nails you sent me about 20 years ago. DId I see that Sally was for sale a while back? Signal Charlie: Her name is Marzolina, but, in spite of the terrible bad luck I am sure to encounter, I am going to rename. I am expecting my wife to knock her prius bumper off several more times in the next twelve months.

I bet the crew has an idea for a name
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper

HAHA yes something like Bun-Bun, for sure. I will solicit opinions.

Must have been some other Canoeyawl.
    You should meet up with us in the Delta one of these years...

Something to be aware of, as I am familier with the Wherry and almost have my expedition Wherry finished.. that might not be all varnish. Chesapeake Light Craft specifies a couple layers of epoxy over the glass matting inside and out.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

You might not be able to get the inside of the transom pretty enough to revarnish. There you'll need to strip ( heat gun, scraper) seriously. Ask you crew what kick butt color the inside of the transom needs to be painted, then the boats name goes on top. You may also want to paint the oar blades.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Hello Ben: I have enjoyed seeing your boat pictures from time to time on FB. The transom is either not cut correctly, or it is aa tiny weak link in the boat design. The plywood on this boat is minimum thickness for weight reduction, and the transom is 3/8", or metric equivalent. A nice looking half moon extends up and over the rubrails, as you observed in your post (where the fracture is and discoloration). SOmeone has thrown the boat upside down without respecting the fragility of that little overhang. At the South End Rowing Club, the club boats usually have an apron over the tops that add an additional 1/4 or 3/8" strengthener across that edge. I have three options: cut out a rhombus shape and remove all wood down to the fracture, soldier in and use extra cuation if the boat is turned upside down for staorage. Not the best solution. Second, pox slurry the fracture, put an apron (3/8" inside. 1/4" outside?) in and out, clamp everything , varnish or paint and go; third, replace the little transom, which won't be as bad as it could be because the builder, who did a very high level amateur job, used no fasteners in the boat--all epoxy. Although I am tempted to replace the whole thing--I have quite a bit of scrap metric equivalent to 3/8"--I think I will simply repair fracture, add aprons to both sides. If that fails, which it won't, I will replace the whole transom in the winter. The entire thing is about a 12"x12" piece of Okume, wine glass shape.

I'd cut that transom down to flush with the rail cap, or maybe just below it and add a rail cap atop the transom, with sculling notch. Similar to the Penobscot 14 design. Here's Fred's Deja Vu Too

Deja Vu Too bow.jpg

Deja Vu Too.jpg

Don't be afraid to paint some of it like we did on our P14, it will reduce maintenance on bright work.

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_9734.JPG

I'd also consider shaping that aft seat to make a nice pretty horseshoe like BARBASHELA has.

IMG_5280.JPG
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper

With the knees below the rail you can't really do the traditional flush knee cut down transom. So the aprons would be the way to go. Boat is far too light and unsuited for sculling ( single oar) . You'll add less than a pound and give you something strong to invert the boat if you are thinking about car topping. Doug Welch of MITA rolls his over on a pad before running it up onto his truck.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

If you don't choose to remove the old varnish first, it must be well sanded to a dull matt finish every where, or you may end up with blistering and separation.
    Jay