Thread: Watertight hatch, surgical tubing

Default Watertight hatch, surgical tubing

Hey all. This is a picture of some seat-top hatches I've partly constructed. My initial plan was to add an additional plywood lip protruding up from the edge of the ledge you can see in the photo to create a trough. I would then contact cement to glue down a gasket of latex tubing like in this ptwatercraft page.

I'm wondering if instead of adding that additional lip, it might work if I just glued the gasket onto the existing ledge and compressed it sufficiently. Does anyone have experience with this method who would be willing to give advice?

Default Re: Watertight hatch, surgical tubing

I haven't done it. But I also brew beer and have seen pictures of kettles converted to airtight fermenters using surgical tubing as gasket.

How is it done? Is the gasket sort of "smushed flat" like in my proposed method, or is it compressed in a groove or channel like the pt watercraft method?

Do not eliminate the inner lip - it will leak that way.

Also, consider fitting a drain tube from the lip to the bilge to drain water from the lip. Use the same tubing as you use for the gasket.

Finally, glue the ends of the tubing gasket together, else they will leak around the seam.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thank you, that's very helpful. For 1/4" O.D. Tubing, how much should I leave above the groove to be compressed? 1/8"?

Gutters are nice for cockpit seat hatches. Unfortunately mine seem to drain right into my boot. Closed cell foam is good.

I'm doing some by installing a raised coaming then an overlapping hatch with this seal on the bottom of the hatch where it sits on the deck. It won't leak and is easier than gutters. It's not flush though.

https://www.amazon.ca/Trim-Lok-D-Sha...ateway&sr=8-11