Thread: First lapstrake planks

Default First lapstrake planks

I fitted my first two Garboard planks to my forms. The port sided laid down like a glove hugging the forms in all the right places, however the Starboard plank was very unruly. Twisting up and away from the forms at all the stations. The problem was grain and the way I approached that first plank. My keel is straight but expecting to plane a straight edge on my plank and then twist it to the bow was completely wrong. It really is much better tapered and with the grain running away from the keel

Anyway now I have two Garboard planks ready to attach to the keel batten. My question is should these planks be laid in with some type of bedding? And if so would it be wise to also bed the planks at the transoms?

This is is a 10ft cedar lapstrake pram.

This is so much different than cabinet making .

Default Re: First lapstrake planks

Yes, use bedding. Something that will stay flexible. Although if you are finishing bright the traditional go to was old varnish that has gone a bit thick.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Yes by all means use bedding compound. I am using Sikaflex 291lot. It stays soft and will fill the gaps. Because it takes time to fit the next strake, I invert the open tube in a jar of solvent so that it does not dry out. How are you fastening the strakes .

Thanks for the replies..
    I will using copper nails and roves to fasten the planks, the Garboard to keel batten is bronze screws at 3” centers.