Thread: 2019 Shellback Regatta in Brooklin, ME

Default 2019 Shellback Regatta in Brooklin, ME

The Pedersen Family is hosting the 11th Annual Shellback Dinghy National Championships September 26 through September 28, 2019 in Brooklin, Maine, for the awarding of the perpetual Frank A. Pedersen Trophy.

Eligible boats are Joel White designed 11.5 foot long Shellback Sailing Dinghies. Eligible competitors are Shellback sailors - owners, builders, family and friends.

https://shellbackregatta.com

For more information, please contact us at info@shellbackregatta

Default Re: 2019 Shellback Regatta in Brooklin, ME

Hi I've just finished building a shellback and this certainly caught my eye. Can you explain what this is all about. Who was or is Frank A Pederson, and why the Shellback? What is the genesis of this regatta.

David

Default Re: 2019 Shellback Regatta in Brooklin, ME

Hello David-

The short version:

Frank Pedersen was my father. In 2008 a discussion started by my father and sailors from Crescent Yacht Club in Chaumont, NY to put together a Shellback regatta. The first regatta was held with 15 boats with 5 boats coming from NY. The group decided to alternate the regatta yearly between Brooklin and Chaumont, NY. Unfortunately my father pasted away and in his honor we have renamed the race in his honor. In the past couple of years we have found other Shellbackers located in Jamestown , RI and they hosted us in 2016. The enthusiasm of everyone involved has been great! We are ALWAYS trying to increase the number of entries. Most sailors involved have built their boats themselves either by purchasing kits or taking courses at Woodenboat. We have posted pictures from past regattas on our Facebook site : Frank Pedersen Memorial Shellback Regatta . Visit www.shellbackregatta.com to register. Come to Brooklin and take part!!!!!

Below is a link to one of our newest builder / competitor Tom Greaves

https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-launchings/lola
    Last edited by JPedersen704; 08-21-2019 at 05:02 PM.