Thread: Ken's TALLY HO shows up again... for the right person she may still have a future

Default Ken's TALLY HO shows up again... Saved (for now) & PICS

Reference this thread if not in the know
    and this one
    or search Ken Hutchins. Some pictures still remain. Lots of missing people. Woah.

Imagine my surprise this afternoon when I strolled into my favorite purveyor of marine plywoods and saw that... TALLY HO has been rescued yesterday out of Deerfield by Carl Sr. at Goosebay Sawmill & Lumber in Chichester, NH.

Carl thought it was too beautiful to be chopped up, and he plans on "walking around her" for a bit meditating about what to do with her, if anything, but doesn't mind if other people might be seriously interested in taking her on either. A trawler as part of a trade *might* be considered. As he said TALLY HO is a very "specific dream" of a boat that's "not for everybody." He is not planning on parting it out (as in motor, gear, lower portion of the mainmast etc.). If it goes it goes as a unit. With her long planned bowsprit and overhanging boom she takes up a lot more room on the water than her 36' LOD. Carl believes she is planked in ash.

If you're interested in giving her serious look, he welcomes you but CALL AHEAD. Also, differentiate between Carl SR and Jr.

Carl Sr says she is gorgeous under the tarp, a real beauty, and apologizes for the dust, it was spotless before the move but things got a little ahoo when they started bumping her around and moving the tarps off her.

IMG_20190801_162239.jpg

IMG_20190801_162257.jpg

IMG_20190801_162322.jpg

IMG_20190801_162450.jpg

IMG_20190801_162827.jpg

...more pics coming...
    Last edited by callsign222; 08-01-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Default Re: Ken's TALLY HO shows up again... for the right person she may still have a future

Default Re: Ken's TALLY HO shows up again... for the right person she may still have a future

Great! Thanks. Needs a better cover but one step at a time.

Thanks for posting this! Goosebay is an interesting place. Yard full of stuff including lots of softwood, all sorts of woods inside, some boats, truck & such - eclectic might be a good word. I didn't know Carl's interest in boats - I'll have to chat with him about 'em sometime, though I don't think he's around a lot nowadays?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I wonder how many hours away is she to completion? It was started as Ken’s dream. Most of the planks are in. I would love to see someone to finish her not as Ken’s lovely dream but the reality of a decent workman. Marine ply decks and cloth, a small galley, simple pipe berths, storage and a sail locker. Vintage winches and the old bronze blocks would hide the epoxy and watertight modernity which would be ease the lesser skilled hand. Sticks from a lost boat, a donated compass from Kens friends along with Kens name impressed onto bronze plate along with his grandfathers on a main beam.

if I lived closer, you could count that would be exactly what I would do.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-01-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Absolutely gorgeous, but why Ash, I wonder? IS there a species that's more rot resistant than Fraxinus Americana?

The Ash came from Ken’s land. He felt it was rot resistant enough. He kept the interior bright finished so he could keep an eye on it and treated it with some sort of Cuprinol type preservative, too, I think.

Wonderful news!

WOW! Wish I were younger!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

1500 sq ft on a 32' wl...holy wow.

Well, now isn’t that good news.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com