Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You go, bandwidth sucking troll

Default Re: You go, bandwidth sucking troll

This is really funny. Mister man I am just a fing troll.
    I can't be responsible for what you choose to be offended by.
    Pointing out that
    1.) Men sitting around a general store stove tend to be of a conservative bent.
    2.)Wood burning stoves are not common in urban areas. They have been mostly outlawed.
    3.) People hanging around a high end overpriced espresso bar tend to be of a liberal bent.

The bilge is not anything like a woodburning stove in a rural general store. It is more like an espresso machine in an urban coffee bar.
    " I am a liberal snowflake." Then why the faux outrage at the use of the term?
    " I am environmentally conscious" So what are you doing to reduce your impact on the planet? Your electronic devices are doing more damage than my wood stove.
    http://science.time.com/2013/08/14/p...han-you-think/

Well Garrett, I've been in plenty of general stores here, and sat around plenty of wood stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    This is really funny. Mister man I am just a fing troll.
    I can't be responsible for what you choose to be offended by.
    Pointing out that
    1.) Men sitting around a general store stove tend to be of a conservative bent.
    2.)Wood burning stoves are not common in urban areas. They have been mostly outlawed.
    3.) People hanging around a high end overpriced espresso bar tend to be of a liberal bent.

The bilge is not anything like a woodburning stove in a rural general store. It is more like an espresso machine in an urban coffee bar.
    " I am a liberal snowflake." Then why the faux outrage at the use of the term?
    " I am environmentally conscious" So what are you doing to reduce your impact on the planet? Your electronic devices are doing more damage than my wood stove.
    http://science.time.com/2013/08/14/p...han-you-think/
    I don't disagree with anything you say here Chris. I'll fully acknowledge that my lifestyle is not entirely aligned with my ideals. So it goes. We are imperfect animals. The cause of my "outrage" (which, really, is overstating things a bit. I'm sitting here on a nice sunny day with a cup of coffee posting about boats mostly. My hackles aren't even slightly up yet) is that your goal in using the term "liberal snowflake" is to get me to *express* outrage so that you can be confirmed in your opinion of liberal snowflakes as over-sensitive creatures terrified to venture beyond their precious espresso bars into the big bad wilds of small town discourse. And sure, if you want to live in that bubble that's your prerogative. You go girl.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

There are people on both sides of the political spectrum that don't understand that not agreeing with someone is not a reason you can't be friends and enjoy each other's company.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Scot, please make a 'USA Politics' section so all of these left-right, Rep-Dem trolls will have a place to play in their own dirt to their heart's content, and leave the rest of us who come here for pleasant conversations room to breathe freely...
    Michael, I've had that thought as well. Great idea. (And I say this as one who occasionally contributes to the problem). But even better, what if we just determinedly turned every political post into one about boats? Here's a nice photo of a boat to look at.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I can only think of four where an adult beverage wasn't enjoyed. The one where the family and I met Joe the first time in CSOH. It was mid-day, and Joe bought the coffee and milkshakes (I believe.) Paladin for lunch in Annapolis, it was lunchtime, and we both drove. Our visit with bobbys at his home with his lovely wife. Lastly Phillip Allen, again with family, lunch at a Cracker Barrel, and both of us were driving.

Joe and I fixed our faux pas the second time around.
    I have invited forum members to visit and was turned down, I stated I wished to go to a gathering and several stated they would not show up if I came so I declined, I was told not to attend boat festivals in Washington., one said he was coming to my house to settle the score., I get told to have relations
    With my self from tolerant libs but alas they fail to send instructions. however I have not list my faith in humanity what with Glenn being a humanitarian and all.

Lovely image, Chris, and a great idea. If'n the politicos wanna bring politics to a boat forum, lets bring boats to political threads! Have at it, son; I'm right behind ya!

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I have invited forum members to visit and was turned down, I stated I wished to go to a gathering and several stated they would not show up if I came so I declined, I was told not to attend boat festivals in Washington., one said he was coming to my house to settle the score., I get told to have relations
    With my self from tolerant libs but alas they fail to send instructions. however I have not list my faith in humanity what with Glenn being a humanitarian and all.
    Hey bobbys, I'd sit down with you with your beverage of choice and have it out in person. Sure. Probably wouldn't introduce you to my vegan, lesbian, espresso-shot-pulling sister though
    - Chris

And here's another boat, one dear to my heart:

- Chris

^ Lovely.

I have something like 10,000 photos on my Flickr account and they are almost all boats. This could be fun.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Well, not exactly what I had in mind, but sure.
    - Chris

- Chris

Hot boat...

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Thatís what I need.

Peace,
    Rowbert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    That’s what I need.

Peace,
    Rowbert
    Pretty isn't she? My mom and I bought her a few years back so we could row together. Then mom moved to Baltimore to be closer to my other sister (not the UVM barista) so the whitehall has been sitting and she now needs a coat of paint and a lick of varnish. On my list...

Anyway, I'm off to go work on an actual boat. I'll have to check in on this little experiment later.
    - Chris

Pretty isn't she? My mom and I bought her a few years back so we could row together. Then mom moved to Baltimore to be closer to my other sister (not the UVM barista) so the whitehall has been sitting and she now needs a coat of paint and a lick of varnish. On my list...

Anyway, I'm off to go work on an actual boat. I'll have to check in on this little experiment later.
    Let me know when youíre sick of her, eh? The boat, I mean.

As to boats, me too! Iím giving the duck punt and green skiff both much needed attention. Paint, putty in the dings, a new sail, maybe...

Peace,
    Robert

I'll play here is an Amesbury Sailing skiff I restored.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 9.54.40 AM.jpg

She was originally built by the Lowell's Boat Shop (Hiram Lowell & Sons) is a National Historic Landmark in Amesbury, Massachusetts.The shop was built in 1793 by Simeon Lowell. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.

Located on the banks of the Merrimack River, Lowell's Boat Shop is considered to be the birthplace of the legendary New England fishing dory, originated by Simeon Lowell. His grandson, Hiram, further developed the dory into the simplified Banks dory design that became a mainstay of New England's fishing fleets. An historian remarked, "A Lowell's dory to a fisherman was like a hammer to a carpenter". Hiram also created a seminal form of assembly line production that made Lowell's the world's preeminent dory manufacturer of its day. It is said to have greatly influenced Henry Ford's mass production processes. Within the boat shop's buildings remain such interesting historic features as ancient ship's knees, heavily worn floorboards and two centuries of accumulated paint coat the floors. The oldest buildings remaining on the site are combined Greek Revival structures that were built in the 1860s. A cross-beam features annual production figures, branded into the wood from 1897 through 1919, reveal that 2,029 boats were built here, by hand, in the single year of 1911. Lowell's Boat Shop is also a rare survivor of the many various industries for which the Merrimack River Valley region was known.

My best friend lives up the road and I've visited and bike rode past it many many times.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-03-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Hot boat...
    But no personality...

Last edited by Canoeyawl; 08-03-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    But no personality...

"Well, a pig that smart, you wouldn't want to eat him all at once!"
    Old Punchline
    Rattling the teacups.

we need a smart pig..

so, the BWST caught a good one.

Shades of America today.

Damn.

That is an actual boat. Now do it.
    Peerie Maa is coming back together. P1060440.jpgP1060443.jpg Currently I am reassembling the rig.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

That is an achingly beautiful piece of sculpture Chris...

Regarding the outboard bracket, I made a longshaft motor from a brush cutter and used a modified Gondola pattern rowlock for sculling and the motor on an Oughtred Macgregor canoe.

As for the other problem, self discipline and

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Good dat. I only see the carp if someone, mentioning no names, quotes it in a reply.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    That is an achingly beautiful piece of sculpture Chris...

Regarding the outboard bracket, I made a longshaft motor from a brush cutter and used a modified Gondola pattern rowlock for sculling and the motor on an Oughtred Macgregor canoe.

Thanks skuthorp. I'm ashamed to admit that she's been somewhat neglected over the last few years. But as Nick says, "now do it". Which I intend to. Right after I get Petrel sorted out. As for the self discipline recommendation... perhaps, but I'll note that this thread became somewhat more civil as soon as boats were introduced. Maybe we need a "row bot" that will automatically post a boat photo to any thread that contains the words "snowflake" or "troll".
    - Chris

Michael, I've had that thought as well. Great idea. (And I say this as one who occasionally contributes to the problem). But even better, what if we just determinedly turned every political post into one about boats? Here's a nice photo of a boat to look at.

Lovely image, Chris, and a great idea. If'n the politicos wanna bring politics to a boat forum, lets bring boats to political threads! Have at it, son; I'm right behind ya!

Are y'all sure you want to start playing that sort of game?

^Ayup. Any day, all day long. You bring the politics, I'll bring the boat pics. Game on?