Thread: Lewis & Clark expedition Courage Crossing

Default Lewis & Clark expedition Courage Crossing

Read up on this heroic pair and will be shipping aboard the American Empress for a passage up the Columbia & Snake rivers to get a kind of feel of their adventures. Although the river is "tamed" the scenery should be about the same. Of course their most hazardous journey was behind them coming to and crossing the Great Divide from ST Louis. MO. Will post pic when I get back. middle of Aug.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Default Re: Lewis & Clark expedition Courage Crossing

Spectacular scenery, that! When you lock through at Bonneville, note the big flat area that anchors the north end of the dam. That's the toe of a massive landslide that had happened not that long before John Gray sent a team upriver who reported seeing drowned trees and a massive broad cascade where the slide had actually partially dammed the Columbia. Do some reading on the Missoula Floods: https://iafi.org/about-the-ice-age-floods/introduction/ This is a pretty nteresting area, geologically and if you're interested worth some digging to help you appreciate the long term history of the area. Lewis & Clark were just scratching the surface

I have a paperback edition of their journal, read it severl times. Of all the references that stick in my mind the Mandan tribe always comes to mind… https://www.pbs.org/lewisandclark/native/man.html

Their fate was much the same as many native communities once 'discovered' by europeans, disease, fragmentation, death.

Lewis Meriwther death at 35 was ruled a suicide. Both William Clark and President Jefferson agreed as Meriwther had periods of depression all his life.

It took two shots to do it, one to the gut and the other in the head Can a a skilled marksman accomplish this feat ? Or was it a cover up murder ? This question is still pondered today.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I have a paperback edition of their journal, read it severl times. Of all the references that stick in my mind the Mandan tribe always comes to mind… https://www.pbs.org/lewisandclark/native/man.html

Their fate was much the same as many native communities once 'discovered' by europeans, disease, fragmentation, death.
    Have you read "1491" by Charles Mann? That's an excellent, if potentially depressing view on the pe-Coumbian Americas. Follow it up with "1493" which goes on to explain the effects that the discovery of the Americas had on the rest​ of the world.

Going to rough it this time. aboard the American Empress. leave here at 05:30 Sunday morning and eventually aboard.
    We will use the on board bikes and a kayak tour on the Snake river.

JD & JB

https://www.americanqueensteamboatco...rican-empress/
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Have you read "1491" by Charles Mann? That's an excellent, if potentially depressing view on the pe-Coumbian Americas. Follow it up with "1493" which goes on to explain the effects that the discovery of the Americas had on the rest​ of the world.
    Yes I have, our species is a particularly unpleasant one. Let's hope we remain quarantined on this planet.

Jack, I miss your excellent and well written articles on various cruising escapades and I'm looking forward to learning about this one. Hope it is a great cruise.

(I have read the original Lewis and Clark account and slept in the winter rain at the original Ft Clatsop with only a kerosene lantern to read by (an accident as I stumbled upon it in the darkness). Robert Gray's Voyage of Exploration was a favorite read and I sailed commercially out of Astoria in the 1970's. I'm not certain the Columbia will look the same today. The proud old schooner Jennie Decker was still fishing out of Astoria basin then. I'm guessing the canneries are closed and gone, and much of the waterfront developed with tourism in mind rather than Salmon fishing, Nutria hunting and Bobcat trapping)

Jennie Decker

Have an awesome trip! Looking forward to your perspectives on the region!

Hello Forumites. Having a great time aboard the American Empress. Too much to tell now but I am presently at the wind surfing capitol of the world 30 Kt winds always blowing ( that's what they tell us here )
    I don't know how to post pix aboard so you all will have to wait till I get back.

PS It's on the Columbia river.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Thanks for the post, Jack. Have fun.
    Looking forward to seeing more.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Dillon View Post
    Hello Forumites. Having a great time aboard the American Empress. Too much to tell now but I am presently at the wind surfing capitol of the world 30 Kt winds always blowing ( that's what they tell us here )
    I don't know how to post pix aboard so you all will have to wait till I get back.

PS It's on the Columbia river.

JD
    Hood River is it? My best buddy lives straight up the hill to the North (Washington side). He sometimes sails our Goat Island Skiff out of Hood River. Wonderful territory to cruise, if you don't mind hot & sunny. The two things that are different form L&C times are 'tamed' and 'depopulated'. The tribes used to live hugging the river, as their economy was primarily based upon salmon. Lots of small villages. And a few larger ones at places like Celilo Falls. The other thing you'll miss. The various falls. Just think of all that water you saw spilling over Bonneville Dam flowing over natural rock formations. And all the sand bars and eddies and huge piles of logs & driftwood that accumulated there. It was used for everything from firewood to the building of racks and drying shacks. Enjoy!! You gonna be in Portland? Happy to buy you a beer and hear of your voyage!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

We've had our boat up on the Columbia at St. Helens for just over a year now. After nearly two decades on the windswept coast it has been a wonderful (and warm!) change of pace. Just finished re-reading Undaunted Courage about the L&C expedition, it's interesting to see which features of the river remain unchanged. There are places where it looks just about the same, and some they would never recognize in life.

Enjoy your voyage! - Chris
    1973 Grand Banks 42

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-on-the-Boat View Post
    We've had our boat up on the Columbia at St. Helens for just over a year now. After nearly two decades on the windswept coast it has been a wonderful (and warm!) change of pace. Just finished re-reading Undaunted Courage about the L&C expedition, it's interesting to see which features of the river remain unchanged. There are places where it looks just about the same, and some they would never recognize in life.

Enjoy your voyage! - Chris
    If you're in the neighborhood and want a sip stop by Raven...first boat past the houseboats:
    IMG_3871.jpg

We're back form this fabulous cruise up the Colombia and Snake rivers. The food was good , the places we visited exceptional and full of history of the region. Lewis and Clark was the focus orated by a historian who knew his business and deliver it in a rapid but comprehensive manner. For me I'll let the images do the talking sublimated by my observations. The art displayed aboard our magic carpet American Empress was a fantastic collection depicting paddle wheeler's, the old wild west and wildlife both in paintings and resurrected photo's. Some images will have the passageway's overhead light showing so viewers will just have to suffer the globe of light in the top of the image. A few movies will also be posted. So get the pop corn and here goes.

Getting there..

L&C Mt hood 2.jpg

Out pilot announced that MT Hood was visible on the port side.

JD

Senior Ole Salt # 650

Safe Home and I'm looking forward to the report

When booking this cruise, it would have been better to book the trip starting in Clarkston. This way you follow the tracks Of Lewis & Clark as they did it. from East to West. (After coming to the Pacific ocean, L&C also returned back to St louis MO ). The American Queen Steamboat Company East bound bookings has you starting in Vancouver WA. BUT going West initially to Astoria. After tours , then a night passage East bound eventually to Clarkston.

The Ship :

Here's a long video describing the American Empress and how we roughed it . If too much , just skip it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FF&FORM=WRVORC

Here's a map showing the first portion of the voyage.

L&C Map Astoria to Stevenson.jpg

JD

Senior Ole Salt # 650

Very weird computer generated narration in that video. I endured about two minutes.

My old stomping grounds in the days of the big "pipeline" job, mid 1970's. Still in my late 20's and fit as a fiddle, I shipped out of Astoria, had a girlfriend there and one back home in California. Eventually transplanted to Seattle and Juneau during the summer and fall months working a slow towboat up and down the inside passage for 100 days at a time. Money was rolling in and life was good, shots all around! (You could buy a house right on the river in Astoria for $5000, or one in California for $10,000!)

Yea Ian I agree. Posting the link about the vessel I hesitated but did it anyway so Forumites could see the grandeur of the Empress. I since found out the Empress isn't lucky with 5 groundings one in Alaska requiring passengers to be evacuated as the vessel took on water.
    BTW the required USCG drill for passengers consisted of putting on those clumsy PFD's assembling in the corridors with no instructions as to where to go in case of a real emergency.The Captain or any deck personal ever appeared to the passengers contrary to any other cruise I have taken. But I shipped on for the location and the frequent talks about Lewis & Clark my primary focus. That goal was archived in spades. So Ian bear with me. Some good stuff will be posted.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

A night stay over at the Vancouver Hilton. gives folks from all over a chance to convene at one place relax before signing on board. Available is a map of down town Vancouver what there is to see and do. We elected the walking tour along the waterfront which involved seeing the American Empress with various hoses gorging and discharging their contents and other supplies coming aboard. Boarding was not for us. Passengers were welcome at 15:00 hours have their photo taken and issued boarding passes. However a walk along the waterfront had it's own rewards, lunch at the "Ware house" and the delight of numerous scenes along this trail. Like:

L&C Vancouver walking map.jpgL&C Grant street pier.jpgL&C Grant st P. Cables.jpgL&C Colombia Riv.monument.jpg

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

The formality of boarding was over we were now afloat anticipating our first dinner aboard and time to settle into our state rooms . # 214 . It was cosy and had a veranda on the port side that would assure us of views along the way at any time. For all round views, stairs or an elevator got us on the 4th deck where one could do a mile or so with 8 orbits. All decks had fabulous art displayed in the passageways with never a bare wall any where.

L&C art card table shoot out.jpg
    I remembered the brochures mentioning art of the old wild west were displayed as well as photo's and old stern wheelers.
    I gazed at that shoot out card game many times while aboard and noticed it was not far from a piano in the ‘Stern wheel lounge aboard.." Kind of fitting I thought as this kind of scene would be not far from music and entertainment while the boys eyed each others hand.

L&C Art paddle wheeler 1.jpg
    A peace full scene before dinner. Afterwards the Empress will cast off and be underway west bound for Astoria, essentially a night passage.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650