Thread: Hey Nick - Peerie Maa

Default Hey Nick - Peerie Maa

How's the weather with you? I see there is a lot of flooding in the North West. My brother's house sits alongside the Trent and Mersey canal, and he says he's never seen the level so high. Fortunately there is a drainage gully between the canal towpath and the path alongside his house, so I suppose he'll be OK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-49187570
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

Default Re: Hey Nick - Peerie Maa

Not too bad thanks. Walney is an island, and for all its small size is a bit hilly, so rain runs off quite quickly. Also we have our own micro climate, Barrow on a flat plain at the foot of high ground, so anything coming from seaward (SW) blows over us and dumps on the rising ground, anything coming from the NE has already rained on the Lakes fells so the air is dryer when it reaches us.
    The really vulnerable bits are where rain water drains into lakes off the fells or comes down the rivers that drain the lakes.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hoping all OK with our UK contingent - I visited over there in the early 2000's at a time when Yorkshire also had flooded - I managed to drive cross-country and found a charming village of Skillington, in Lincolnshire, to stop overnite.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Not too bad thanks. Walney is an island, and for all its small size is a bit hilly, so rain runs off quite quickly. Also we have our own micro climate, Barrow on a flat plain at the foot of high ground, so anything coming from seaward (SW) blows over us and dumps on the rising ground, anything coming from the NE has already rained on the Lakes fells so the air is dryer when it reaches us.
    The really vulnerable bits are where rain water drains into lakes off the fells or comes down the rivers that drain the lakes.
    Good to hear it Nick. The flood warnings in my brother's area are fairly scattered. He lives at Windmill Hill, near the bottom left of this map, and is very close to the Manor Park area which is predicted to flood, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

http://riverlevels.uk/flood-warning-...uncorn-to-lymm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Good to hear it Nick. The flood warnings in my brother's area are fairly scattered. He lives at Windmill Hill, near the bottom left of this map, and is very close to the Manor Park area which is predicted to flood, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

http://riverlevels.uk/flood-warning-...uncorn-to-lymm
    Yes, I wish him well. Trouble is flood plains are not called flood plains because it sounds nice.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.