Thread: Clothespin scarf

Default Clothespin scarf

Is there a maximum length on a clothespin scarf, where you would get diminished returns? This would be on a mast top.

Default Re: Clothespin scarf

For spars 12:1 is very good. Some accept 8:1. From my observation, and 8:1 plain scarf and a 12:1 cloths pin scarf give about the same even, no hard spot, flexability. So, 12:1 cloths pin wins for not wasting too much wood.

12:1 makes a good scarph joint if for no other reason than the math is easy..

On the few masts where I've used the cloths pin, I made the insert female at both ends since that was the chunk of wood more easily handled.

Like ===============>>=====<<==================

I plane back the feather edges just a bit to leave a hole through the mast. This serves as an accurate pilot for drilling out what looks rather like a stop water. Planing back that feather edge makes fitting much easier. The hole could be filled less decoratively with epoxy. A black locust trunnel looks really cool. You'd not want a real stopwater of soft wood as the expansion might cause problems.

When I was rather publicly rebuilding Goblin's masts at the end of School Street, I had some mild fun telling some that it was a real stop water to keep water from the joint, and telling others that it was structural to keep the male end of the cloths pin from splitting the female end.

And if you make that piece that's female at each end out of 2 pieces that laminate together for their mid length sandwiching the male ends of the mast there will be no need to mess around with cutting the female bits. In Ian's drawing that would be upper and lower pieces.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 07-30-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Any shot there are pics or drawings available? And..would the Male point be at the place where you want to star the new section? For instance if the top 2' were bad, where would you want to cut off?
    Last edited by mariner2k; 07-30-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner2k View Post
    Any shot there are pics or drawings available? And..would the Male point be at the place where you want to star the new section? For instance if the top 2' were bad, where would you want to cut off?
    While this has come up before, I can drop in the following pictures to give you one idea of how the top 6' or so of MAGIC's mainmast were replaced while we paused on our way south in Sausalito one year:
    9g1-Wire conduits will have to be spliced.jpg
    and from the other view:
    9g2-Side cuts were made every 12 inches.jpg
    The two pieces which made up the future top were beveled to match the male end:
    9j-Two pieces of the new masthead.jpg
    And then they were epoxied together and to the mast in a single operation. We did find that it was necessary to keep the upper portion from slipping away under clamping pressure, so some line was employed to assist with the alignment:
    9l-The new masthead glued and clamped.jpg
    Once the glue had cured long enough, we cleared away clamps and line to permit shaping the new tip portion:
    9o1-A lot of saw cutting and chiseling away of waste.jpg
    (to be continued)
    Last edited by MAGIC's Craig; 07-30-2019 at 08:24 PM.

And finally, the new tip was sealed and painted:
    9t3a- the tip painted and with the truck glued on.jpg
    Back aboard it went and we were able to continue the voyage:
    9u2- Easing the mast down into place.jpg

Hopefully, this provides some help to your planning.

The pictures are very helpful,thanks.