Thread: Found a “John D Little” boat in an old garage, hoping to learn more about it!

Default Found a “John D Little” boat in an old garage, hoping to learn more about it!

561FBCD0-16EA-48CF-BE54-36D353E62793.jpgB60DA33A-6577-4E30-8479-486AF6623122.jpgA28AC68B-D7A0-42A9-B5E6-710499A9D0DE.jpg33A887BA-16D5-46CD-8743-C9C0AA2F06D6.jpg91533655-899C-440C-9866-06B885326BEC.jpg
    Can anyone tell me anything about the boat or builder? I’m totally new to sailing and want learn as much as I can about this boat and sailing before I get started. From what I can tell came with a sprit sail, although I have no idea how to rig this thing. Recommended books would be helpful too!!

Default Re: Found a “John D Little” boat in an old garage, hoping to learn more about it!

That's a beauty. I've heard the name before, but have no information. This forum is a good source for traditional small boat information.
    Two suggestions: pour or spray some water into her to check for leaks; and do your early sailing in warm shallow water and light breezes.
    Have fun, keep us posted.

Default Re: Found a “John D Little” boat in an old garage, hoping to learn more about it!

Thank You John!! Looking forward to this boat sparking a fun hobby/sport!

Info is a bit sparse, apparently Mile Creek Boat Shop operated 1972 to 1999 and John passed in 2001, there were some articles about Mile Creek and him in Messing About in Boats, search page here for "mile creek" to get volume/issue numbers http://www.messingaboutinboats.com/IndexofArticles
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Interesting. What info is on the builder's plate in your photo? I only knew he'd built these catboats: http://www.boatersresources.com/boat...at-Used-374076

Oh neat, I’m going to try to find the past owner of the garage to get more history. Here are blown up pictures of the identification on the boat. 93FAF1D5-A009-40E6-A56A-51C8A6F21F65.jpg
    Also, stupid question I’m sure, but what type of sail boat would you call this? Pram? Dinghy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

lapstrake sailing dinghy

Wow, that is a beauty! How long is it?

I would call it a lapstrake sailing skiff.....

How does one value a boat like this?

The only sure way is to put it up for sale and see what people are willing to pay. But wooden boats are hard to sell.

Looks great. And it looks like you have the sprit sail rigged well also. You can look on the boom to see if there was a block mid boom, otherwise the sheet probably came off the aft end of the boom. There may or may not have been a line traveler aft. And if there is room left on the aft end of the boom, it looks like the tack should be aft of the mast.
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog