Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question for the NAs

Default Re: A question for the NAs

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Then there's this of course, if Lynda wants to go 'uptown'. The I/O would need to be kept on a lift at the dock. Warm southern water grows barnacles on I/Os something fierce. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...dard%20listing
    That is seriously pretty. The amount of brightwork is is a bit daunting considering what the SC sun does to varnish. Whatever I get will be kept on a lift so that’s not an issue, but I can’t put a roof over the lift.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Have you looked at Sea Way boats? ( No connection; just making a suggestion) They give you Downeast-style with outboard power. Not cheap, but not priced at top of market either. Here's a 21 cabin model.

Attachment 42465

Attachment 42466

Kevin
    These are on my list. Just wish they made a flush deck version. I really don’t need a cabin, other than maybe room for a head.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Dyers are nice. There's one near us here that's in good shape: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...owse%20listing

This Lyman maybe, not far from you? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...dard%20listing

Maybe too modern or more than you/she'd want, but Hawks are well-built. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...dard%20listing
    I’ve been eyeing that Dyer. The Lyman is pretty, but something about the shear line puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiff Man View Post
    Arch Davis Jiffy V-22
    Attachment 42481
    Found one for sale, but the finish work on the hull looks pretty rough.

Saw a listing for a Stiegercraft Block Island 23. Outboard on a bracket (Evinrude unfortunately). Nice looking boat. I saw these at the MBBS. I was impressed by the construction and the simplicity. Seemed like it’d be an easy boat to maintain and keep clean.

Al Steiger makes a nice boat. I had a 20 at one time. Very popular boat here. ( Built locally)

Have you see the Rossiter 23? It has the flush deck you want, single outboard power, classic lines....top-of-the-market price.

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 5.35.00 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-08-06 at 5.36.02 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-08-06 at 5.37.06 PM.jpg

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Al Steiger makes a nice boat. I had a 20 at one time. Very popular boat here. ( Built locally)

Have you see the Rossiter 23? It has the flush deck you want, single outboard power, classic lines....top-of-the-market price.

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 5.35.00 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-08-06 at 5.36.02 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-08-06 at 5.37.06 PM.jpg

Kevin
    I do like the Rossiter, and you ain’t kidding about the price! There was a 20’ for sale near here. Was listed for a long time, guy kept dropping price, no takers since nobody here had heard of it. He eventually decided to just keep the boat. I called his broker to see if he wanted to part with it, no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Very good question. Shes never been a boater, but I think overall its gotta be safe in her mind. That probably means freeboard and decent seats. A feeling that you are in the boat rather than on it. She likes the classic style as I do. Cant abide most of the new boats, and certainly not a center console.
    I was out recently on a forumites converted lobster boat. 36. Very solid. I took a lot of pics, she loved it. Now 36 is a good bit bigger than I want to go, but the owner of the boat suggested a Dyer 29. I showed her a few pics of the flush deck version and she really liked it. I like it too. Classic looks, very seaworthy and fast enough.
    Dyer 29's don't plane. I picked up a new one in the mid 80's. I only got as far as Newport before it needed repairs (minor: the footrest broke off, it was attached with wood screws and the steering broke, the Nylok nut and bolt that holds tbe steering cable to the tiller had not been driver into the nylon)

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Dyer 29's don't plane. I picked up a new one in the mid 80's. I only got as far as Newport before it needed repairs (minor: the footrest broke off, it was attached with wood screws and the steering broke, the Nylok nut and bolt that holds tbe steering cable to the tiller had not been driver into the nylon)
    I’m kind of amazed at the low quality workmanship of some expensive boats. My neighbor bought a new World Cat 255. Twin Yami 150’s, full loaded. Must have dropped 150K on it.
    It’s been back at the dealer with a punch list of 18 items. Nothing real serious, but the QC leaves a lot to be desired.
    I will say the Steigercraft seem to get a lot of good reviews. Clean and simple tends to last. And we’ve got one harsh environment here where he boats stay in use year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    And we’ve got one harsh environment here ...
    That close to Parris Island? You ain't kidding!
    Heute ist so ein schne Tag...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
    That close to Parris Island? You ain't kidding!
    About a mile and a 1/4 from where I’m typing.

Maybe the Simons Sea skiff 20 or 22 would appeal 20 ft.Simons sea skiff.jpg enhanceRXYUFRJT.jpg . The woodenboat festival in Southport NC is comeing up November 2nd and lots of Simmons will be there .The Wilmington area is the epicenter for those boats ; so probably some for sale locally . People go way off shore in these .