Thread: My Standard Horizon CP300i ...

Default My Standard Horizon CP300i ...

Chart Plotter just went kablooey and I will probably need to replace it. The micro processor is shot, so there’s a chance I could get a new one installed and programmed, but I‘m a wee bit reluctant as there’s no real way of knowing how long the repair would last.
    Any brand recommendations if I require a new one?
    In a perfect world the screen would be at least seven inches, the graphics would be clean, there would be transponders for both sonar and speed over ground, it would have an internal antenna, it would have a screen brightness control for navigating at night and would provide headings in both true and magnetic.
    all suggestion gratefully accepted.
    Last edited by Puttputt; 07-30-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Default Re: My Standard Horizon CP300i ...

I would call or email The Gps Store for their recommendations. great folks, good advice, free shipping.

Do you have a budget in mind?
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

[QUOTE=Don Z.;5951489]Do you have a budget in mind?[/QUOTE.
    Don, for what I want, I’m probably looking at having to spend $800 to $1,100 Cdn. (575-750 US)
    i like the Raymarine Axiom but my current transponder is not compatible. I would be looking at the additional cost of a haul out , installation of a new transponder, possibly a new through-hull as well as new wiring.
    The garmin Cv 77 would work with my existing transponder and it’s got the features I like, but I’m getting mixed reviews from folks at our local marina about Garmin products (that said, when I press them on why they don’t like Garmin the answers are kind of vague).
    I can get my Standard Horizon CP300i fixed for about $300 U.S. but it’s a 2007 model and the technology is a bit outdated and there’s no guarantee it will last much longer.
    Are there other alternatives I could consider?

Maybe they've had those Garmin newfie (nuvi) Car GPSs that try to drive you down a dirt road or off a cliff at every opportunity. Garmin products in general though, have a very finely graduated product range, in that they sell you a piece of kit, and by the hardware specs you think it should do X, but no you are deliberately prevented from doing X, because they didn't get your $20 extra for the model one model number higher. Given that nobody wants to carry the FULL range of them, zeroing in on only 3 or 4 models, and reviews being very model number specific, but you thinking that this one Bob's Bait has is the one that got a good review, then you get kinda mad at them when it seems the same but seems to have nickel and dimed you out of things that it seem like it costs them money to take out.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Is your transponder integral to your current chart plotter?

I really like my B&G Zeus Touch, but I think they stopped making my version and now the Zeuses are on the more expensive end. Their Vulcan 7 looks like it fits your description, but I'm not sure where you are at with transponders.

The B&Gs are NMEA 2000, so any compatible transponder will work. Garmins are similar. I wen't to the Garmin site but quickly got lost in their proprietary names for things that I think should be standard.

On mine, there is a GPS antenna that is integral, but it also accepts an external receiver. I have a depth transponder and a paddle wheel for speed. Not sure if you're sail or power, but the paddle wheel gives you speed through the water, the GPS SOG, and the system will compare the two to give you tide set, etc. You can add different maps if you don't like the standard (I think standard is C-Map or Navionics, but I don't have the manual in front of me). There are some other things that I consider "fluff", but convenient. Once you go down the NMEA rabbit hole, there are all kinds of things you can make it do.

The one thing I like to remind people with all GPS is that the receiver just does lat/long, it's the cartography that creates dirt roads that don't exist and navigation algorithms that put you on those dirt roads. Being able to change the base maps is important to me. For Marine nav (unlike auto) the algorithms are not as important, but base maps are.

Hi Don,
    The current (broken) plotter does not require a transponder. It plugs directly into my GPS so I get SOG. In fact, I get everything I want except sonar. For this I have an old humminbird with it’s own transponder. The boat is 40 years old, I bought it seven years ago and don’t have the manual for the Hummingbird so the transponder may not be NMEA 2000. And that’s where my dilemma lies.
    If I get the CP 300i repaired my existing setup will give me everything I want, but i’m not sure how long it will last.
    If I buy the Garmin echo i’m not 100% positive that the transponder will work, which will mean a haul-out and the added expense I mentioned above.
    I’ve heard there are transponders available now that can be installed on the inside of the hull, thereby avoiding the hassle of drilling yet another through hull, but I don’t know much about them.
    Paul

Which charts does it use? You'll want a unit compatible with the chart(s) you have. (Or, maybe you're ready for a change?)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

If I buy the Garmin echo i’m not 100% positive that the transponder will work, which will mean a haul-out and the added expense I mentioned above.
    Chances are slim that your Humminbird finder is NMEA 2000 compliant. It may be able to be interfaced via the 0183 protocol. Look at the power cable, in addition to red ( +) and black (-) are there white and green wires going unused? If so, that green wire is your 0183 output.

The new unit will either:

A) have 0183 input, in which case you connect the wire from each machine, or:

B) You'll need a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter ( these run +/- $150 USD)

Either way, the finder will talk to the plotter. The transducer matters not, since it's not getting input directly; your plotter receives ( basically, repeats) the signal already processed by the Humminbird.

Of course you CAN purchase a networkable transducer for your new plotter, but as you already noted, that will incur a shot haul to install that new 'ducer. Really no, " right " answer here, but an answer that's right for you.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks Kevin,

i just got back from the marina where I ran into an electronics guy who looked at the Humminbird and said it definitely was not an NMEA 2000 model.
    at the moment I’m leaning towards repairing the CP300i (if it can be fixed) and then backing this up with a Navitronics package on my iPad.
    the existing plotter has Canadian Hydrographic charts from the Strait of Juan de Fuca to Alaska. I rarely go beyond Desolation Sound (or out of Georgia Strait for that matter) as the boat is a wee bit tender and my appetite for 4-6 footers is diminishing along with my balance.
    It was interesting pulling out the paper charts the other day. Even with the GPS giving a perfect fix, I realized how out of practice I was converting true to magnetic and back again.

What kind of boat?

If power, this one is a transom mount, may work for you:

http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=105. Not sure on cost.

I think I was confusing transducer with transponder.

The chartplotter I mentioned has an internal GPS receiver, which will give you SOG. There are ways to mount an external transducer internally, but that would take some research. If I recall correctly, if butted tight up against the hull, it may signal through. I wish Paladin were still here.

It sounds like you have a workable solution.

Thanks Don,
    it’s an aging 30 foot power boat. The dead rise near the transom is negligible so I might be able to install a unit on the interior of the hull. Or as Kevin suggests I might find a converter and use the existing setup. Either way, I’ll probably mull it over for a while before making a decision.
    paul