Thread: A great rant

Default Great rants

First this one: https://churbuck.com/2012/04/17/reme...o-clean-it-up/

Then this. I don't know how the issue turned out: https://churbuck.com/2014/05/06/greedheads/
    Last edited by rbgarr; 07-28-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Default Re: Great rants

Looks like the Oyster Farmer won - https://www.capenews.net/mashpee/new...17d1bcc14.html

Default Re: Great rants

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    There's a name for this: Shifting baseline syndrome

I found the first post very apropos to my experiences, in an accelerated fashion as I'm only pushing 40. I read the post and was instantly reminded of this paragraph from this excellent article in the NY Times.

A 1995 study, by Peter H. Kahn and Batya Friedman, of the way some children in Houston experienced pollution summed up our blindness this way: “With each generation, the amount of environmental degradation increases, but each generation takes that amount as the norm.” In decades of photos of fishermen holding up their catch in the Florida Keys, the marine biologist Loren McClenachan found a perfect illustration of this phenomenon, which is often called “shifting baseline syndrome.” The fish got smaller and smaller, to the point where the prize catches were dwarfed by fish that in years past were piled up and ignored. But the smiles on the fishermen’s faces stayed the same size. The world never feels fallen, because we grow accustomed to the fall.
    Last edited by callsign222; 07-30-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Default Re: A great rant

There are to many topics within this rant to address. However first one has to concider the effect of adding 100 million people to the population over that time period. To preserve that area would have required the government to take through eminent domain all the private owned property.

I enjoyed his rants as I grew up fishing the same bays. My dad was a commercial shell fisherman in the 60's and early 70's. I was a ride along every summer.

Why the McMansion owners were against the oyster farm is beyond me. Its the same way here, heaven forbid you anchor in front of their house, and if you have the audacity to land your dinghy at their private beach to walk to town they will be down there in a rush to send you packing.

Oysters clean up the waters that the McMansions (and the rest of us) have so terribly polluted. They restore habitat and provide the foundation for the entire ecosystem. They are also completely input free. No fertilizer, no fresh water, nothing. They are the ideal crop and need to be farmed extensively. The wealthy should be proud to look out over oyster beds, like they might over rolling fields with a little red barn. Don't let the rich jerks privatize aquaculture or it will end up just like agriculture!

Well said J.

Here's a comment on the post from David that is spot on to what your talking about in response to a grouser:

A million dollars a year growing the best nitrogen filtration system in the world? What is the tax rate on that? What will he pay into the public coffers when he sells his haul to a wholesaler? ....What’s a dock permit cost to file in Mashpee versus how much the property value soars if the permit is granted? A couple hundred bucks for a couple hundred thousand in value?

The grant is closer to Cotuit’s Ryefield Point than it is to the abutters’ properties on Popponesset Island. It is not even close to “the middle” of Popponesset Bay and is it not located in navigable waters. It is planned for a very shallow shoal just inside the Bay entrance. Why aren’t the abutters in Cotuit upset since it is closer to Cotuit’s beaches? Oh yes, that’s right. We preserve our shoreline and don’t have any houses on that shore. You’re very welcome Mashpee. Enjoy your view.

I can remember watching the fish and diving from the end of the town dock and occasionally hitting a good sized fish. You could sit there all day now and see nothing but a few Mackerel