Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeanM26
    • Jun 2019

I should build what I want, not buy it.

After months of looking, reading, and poking around I've come to the conclusion that if I want a boat that ticks all my marks I am going to have to build it myself.
    • Able to sleep 2.5 people in relative comfort.
    • easily trailerable by either of our SUV's (max tow capacity of 3500 for my Montero).
    • Able to be beached.
    • Can hold a small outboard.
    • A relatively simple build that my son, wife, father, mother, and I can enjoy together.
    • Good performance in the Salish Sea.
    • More than one mast!

One of the biggest factors in finalizing the list was all the pictures, videos, and recounts of the inaugural Salish 100. My wife and I agreed that this is an event we want to participate in.

There are plenty of little pocket cruisers for sale around that we could buy and enter the event, but that leaves out the important part of building something with 3 generations of family. We moved to the PNW to be near the sea and mountains. What better heirloom than a beautiful boat made from trees that grow on the slopes of the Cascades and sails the Salish?

There is also the fact that my father is set to retire for the 3rd time. He needs a "hobby" to keep him occupied so he doesn't get bored and go back to work. I've planted the seed and watered it. Now I'm just waiting for him to come up with the idea himself.

As for our woodworking skills, well... What skills? I have turned several boxes of sticks in to flying contraptions controlled from the ground. But those all fit on a small work bench and had very few complex curves that werent created by shrinking covering over frames. My fiberglass experience consisted of a few wing joints. My father has built a couple very elaborate decks purely from ideas in his head. My wife and mother know how to sand. My 4 year plays with wooden Brio railroad tracks.

My shortlist of boats consisted of the Glen-L Minuet, Welsford Navigator, and Welsford Sweet Pea. Wanting a yawl rig disqualified the Minuet. I ultimately decided on the Sweet Pea for two reasons; 1. The hull will be slightly simpler due to having only 2 chines per side and 2. It was designed to have a cabin from the outset.

So now I sit staring at the study plans every night waiting for my father to come to me with his idea. Then we will purchase plans from John and get to building. I hope to be able to share the experience with you all.
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

Re: I should build what I want, not buy it.

Have fun with the build!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• mohsart
      Senile Mumbler
      • Mar 2014

"Able to sleep 2.5 people in relative comfort."
      This doesn't mean much.
      I've spent several nights in a one person tent of about one meter width with my then girlfriend and it was comfortable.
      When I was young I most often slept in the same bunk as my father and it was always quite comfortabe.
      But if you are talking about people not comfortable with sleeping next to each others it calls for separate bunks, perhaps the bunks shouldn't even be next to each other.

/Mats
      sigpic
      Diagnosed with autism. Sorry, not much I can do about it.

Comment

• SeanM26
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by mohsart
        "Able to sleep 2.5 people in relative comfort."
        This doesn't mean much.
        I've spent several nights in a one person tent of about one meter width with my then girlfriend and it was comfortable.
        When I was young I most often slept in the same bunk as my father and it was always quite comfortabe.
        But if you are talking about people not comfortable with sleeping next to each others it calls for separate bunks, perhaps the bunks shouldn't even be next to each other.

/Mats
        'Relative' being the operative word. I have the ability to sleep anywhere, at any time. When I camp I am either hanging in a hammock or in a bivvy. I plan on making a nice boom tent for the cockpit which will give me more than enough room for a solid night of sleep. That gives the cabin to my wife and kid.

This is also why I want a beachable boat. If we find a hospitable beach we can have a small fire to cook over and I will find a spot to hang my hammock.

Comment

• Plyboy
          • May 2016

Always wondered why one doesn't see more use of hammocks on beach cruiser types. Would have thunk it was relatively easy to rig a crosstree near base of mast, and have an X frame wedged into the transom that would keep up a pair of hammocks, just high enough for wet and uneven floors to no longer be a concern. Or just mast to rudder post if solo maybe. Even some rather cramped and contorted vee berths in cuddies which seem to have the centerboard case designed to be a chaperone and other oddities, I look at them and think, you know what, I'd rather sling a hammock in there and have my nose 6" off the ceiling... probably a good way of getting a week or twos cruising supplies in a weekender cuddy too, leave cushions at home, totes on the bunks, hammock over.
          2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Comment

• gypsie
            NSW Australia
            • Jun 2010

I'd wonder if an open boat like Don Kurylko's Myst with a boom tent would give more comfort and space.
            that little cabin looks like its taking up room rather than creating a livable area.

says me at 6ft 4" ��
            It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Comment

• gypsie
              NSW Australia
              • Jun 2010

I'd wonder if an open boat like Don Kurylko's Myst with a boom tent would give more comfort and space.
              that little cabin looks like its taking up room rather than creating a livable area.

says me at 6ft 4" 😀

Best of luck!

Comment

• gypsie
                NSW Australia
                • Jun 2010

says me at 6ft 4" 😀

Comment

• SeanM26
                  • Jun 2019

I can foresee two problems with trying to hang a hammock in/on a small boat.

The first is room. I need a minimum of 13 feet between anchor points to get the right "hang" so I don't sleep like a banana. Add 4 vertical feet and 4 feet in width. A hammock takes up a lot of real estate with a bunch of dead space.

The second is tension forces. When I am in my hammock there is nearly 300 lbs of lateral load on each anchor point trying to pull them together.

I'm 5'9, the wife is 5'7, the 4 year old is knee high to a grasshopper. This cabin has plenty of room. I think. If it doesn't that is just an excuse to build another boat.

Comment

• Yeadon
                    ๐“† ๐“†Ÿ ๐“†ž ๐“†
                    • May 2006

Chebacco does a lot of what the OP requested, including being beachable.
                    Originally posted by James McMullen
                    Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

• navydog
                      • Sep 2007

There's no question at all that you will soon want a bigger boat. That is just what happens.

Comment

• JimConlin
                        • Oct 2000

Rodger Martinโ€™s Presto 30 is pretty close to your brief. Itโ€™s a very well thought-out design.

Comment

• WI-Tom
                          Seaside Expat
                          • Jan 2009

The Welsford Sweet Pea is a nice boat--a reasonably roomy 2-bunk interior from what I recall. It's a very big 17-footer, easily beachable, yawl rig. I'd say a good choice given your original priorities. I quite enjoyed the one I had the chance to sail.

Tom
                          Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• J.Madison
                            • Mar 2011

Hammocks don't work well in small boats because of the ratio of mass of the boat to the occupant. As the boat rolls, the sleeper will start to oscillate and as they are likely at or above the metacenter the system will quickly get out of phase, amplify, and you will be very uncomfortable, possibly even wet. Sleeping in a hammock down below on a deep heavy keel boat is much better, and still nobody does that.

Comment

• Yeadon
                              ๐“† ๐“†Ÿ ๐“†ž ๐“†
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by WI-Tom
                              The Welsford Sweet Pea is a nice boat--a reasonably roomy 2-bunk interior from what I recall. It's a very big 17-footer, easily beachable, yawl rig. I'd say a good choice given your original priorities. I quite enjoyed the one I had the chance to sail.

Tom
                              Originally posted by James McMullen
                              Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

Working...