Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oughtred Gannet build - downunder

Default Re: Oughtred Gannet build - downunder

Lots of filleting, sanding, filling, planing, sanding have ensued - today I splashed on the 1st coat of sealant (a 2-part timber sealant from Norglass) which stinks terribly so my dog took a walk and refused to come close (she's the clever one amongst us !)
    Nest step will be some more sanding and then a coat of undercoat in a few days.

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Regards Neil

Looking good Neil

Looks like you are ready to roll that baby over. It looks really good, nice and round.

Terrific progress Neil! Have you picked a paint type/color yet?

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

I am planning to use Norglass paints, currently planning Pearl for most of the hull with Pacific Blue for the top strake - any comments/ideas from any one?

I have no experience with Norglass so I'm interested in what you're doing.

On the colour scheme, it's what I was going to do on Miss Caroline but the bote cote deep blue requires special undercoating and it's pretty expensive for the minimum amount I could get only to use about 5% of the tin

Steve,
    I used Norglass on my other boat Bella (see page1 of this thread) - Teal on the exterior and sandstone on the interior - I really like it and I just use their simple enamel with no 2-part mixing. A few others in our group use Norglass as well - you can have a look at them all down at Narooma and see what you think.
    Neil

Neil I’m using Norglass WeatherFast too. I’ve started thinning the undercoat slightly in a seperate drawn off quantity which seems to help it level out. In the topcoat I use Penetrol and hot coat after its touch dry which works really well. I don’t sand between coats (lazy) which doesn’t seem to hurt. I reckon if you did sand the finish would be almost spray quality. I use a brush only, havnt tried roll/tip cos areas are too small, but i might when it comes to repainting outside.

A lovely build Neil and a nice read to catch up on your thread. And I’m envious off where you’re building her
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I have no experience with any marine paint, so I am anxious to see how it works as well! But I like your paint colors. I just love the lighter colors, makes any mahogany or any other natural wood really pop. Looking forward to seeing her all dressed up!

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

When I went to the shop to buy the paint I put the tin of paint outside - it was BLUE! (very blue) So I have backed off and bought a tin of Norglass Sea Mist - we shall see. At the moment we are getting a lot of rain and some thunderstorms so am waiting for weather that's a bit drier.............
    btw the King Parrots round here are really nosy - they come and sit to watch and see what you are building now - I'm planning to teach them how to sharpen planes & chisels.

Petronus the python has moved in to observe boatbuilding progress- could be very useful clamping assistant perhaps?
    IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

Useful in the unlikely possibility the it would feel cooperative.

Bella lives up to her name and the Gannet is looking terrific already! Great projects and thread Neil!!

Rick

O.K., I'm not gonna lie...not a fan!! Probably good that you're at ease with it, given where you live. Not really something we deal with here in the Pacific Northwest!

Ken

I wonder if the rest of the family are living under the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    I wonder if the rest of the family are living under the boat?
    I do wonder........................they are tricky to spot. I almost picked him yesterday when I went to lift a piece of wood out of the scrap pile - my heart will now run for quite a while I reckon!

So...not so at ease? And to further show my unfamiliarity...do they bite, or just love a good hug?

Ken

That one just hugs it's tucker to death but like any animal they can give a nasty bite. Like all snakes however, they know they can't swallow us so they won't go after us UNLESS we are silly enough to go after them and make them feel threatened.

I've come across plenty of venomous snakes in my time and never had an issue.

Steve is right imo - snakes will try to find a way of moving out of your path in you get too close - just don't hedge them in and you will be perfectly safe. Snakes are part of life here if you live out of the suburbs and ones like this python are amongst the most beautiful creatures you will ever see. 1st coat of colour going on the hull today, may get a photo later.
    Regards Neil

One coat of gloss on 2 coats of undercoat - and she looks ready to fly :-)

IMG_1440.jpg

Exciting and beautiful!!

Rick

I thought the red bare wooden hull looked very pretty - like furniture but Now she looks ready for business!

Indeed she does! Lookin' good.

Ken

Turned Plockton over today with the help of the guys in the wooden boat group - thanks everyone! She was very easy to turn and we flipped her onto 2 bilge supports which I had made - rested the supports on top of the strongback to give me a nice working height - levelled her off then off for coffee and cake made by my kind wife :-)
    Note that if you leave the mould frames in the hull (I left 3 in) then you can use the base of the moulds to level off the hull after flipping her over, note to self = do this again!
    Ripped 4.7m length of Hoop Pine and bent 90% around the outside of the gunwale so that the timber gets the idea of the bend - these timbers will be half of the inwale (it is laminated in 2 layers of 15mm).
    Onwards and upwards...........................
    Neil
    IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg

Looking good Neil and from what I saw of Bella last weekend she'll be very nice when done!

Great job! Those gains are just right!

Mike

Looking good indeed Neil! That interior looks pretty good as far as epoxy cleanup goes. I doubt mine will look that good, but I can always hope! Quite the milestone, good for you!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Owen View Post
    Great job! Those gains are just right!

Mike

Yes, and I made them much shorter this time - each gain is only 8 inches - I guessed they should be shorter for thinner timber and it seems to have worked :-)

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Congratulations Neil, that planking looks gorgeous.

i use Norglass, i roll on with the 100mm mohair rollers, sparingly, and no tipping. I'm happy with the finish.
    i do find that once you pop the tin, it has a short shelf life, in the order of weeks.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

This what remains of our local woodies shed at Mogo - it was full of the most wonderful woodworking machinery, all is lost. But at least we have the skills to rebuild. The fires in th Australia are the worst I have ever seen - and I hope never to see again. So far, our house has been spared, though we have evacuated to Canberra with friends.

woodies shed.jpg

Gotta agree about the fires Neil. But we had a greater loss of life (in Victoria) on black Saturday. I’m also backing onto a forest here in Rushworth and every summer is the most worrying period

Best of luck to you although I reckon you’ve used 1 of your aces already

Best of luck to both of you!

Rick

Shocking times,
    We scarpered to Seymour on Black Saturday as fast as our slow 80 series loaded up with the family jewels...and 5 dogs could go,
    Later on we moved to Tassie, though we may have just jumped out of the fry pan and into the fire,

Neil, I'm pleased to hear your house has survived but the loss of the woodies shed is very sad news. I think in light of how catastrophic these fires are just getting out alive is the main thing