Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: The fall

Default Re: The fall

Take your time to heal right Tom, Not losing leg function is worth being patient. I hope your pain abated soon.
    Tom

Stuff can happen so fast. So sorry.

Jeff

crap I’m still cringing.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Colbert had a whole hilarious thing the other day about Robert Mueller III's nickname when he was FBI Director : "Bobby Three Sticks". For him, just because he is "the third".
    He got off lightly, Richard III became Dick the sh!t.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Damn. Heal well and recover fully. This is going to be a long fight along a tenuous road.

What kind of reserves do you have? How’s the insurance? What says the company? Short term and long term coverage? As Rob can tell you, this can break a person as they try to recover; often pushing them to beyond the curb. Keep on track and keep us informed.

Talking to the staff in the trauma unit, walking again was by no means certain. I'm pretty happy about being able to use my legs. This was before I got the splint on my right hand.

Fortunately, insurance is good. ( I hope)

IMG_20190727_134328_01.jpg

Bro, you’re golden! Up on a walker and moving legs is great! I STILL can’t feel the toes on my left foot, and likely never will again.
    Which, they tingle and spark sometimes, but have no normal tactile senses and remain immobile. I can’t lift the toes with my mind, as it were.

I was unable to move or, really, even feel my leg, save for the fire and ice, for a year and some change. I experienced some fairly agonizing treatments which actually exacerbated the REAL problem, but eventually just decided to stand up and walk.

Hahahaha. Like Bambi!

I made a cane from a piece of Sequoia, and I keep it to this day. I used it for months.

Then, one day, I decided I was going to run again.

Hahahaha. Like Bambi.

Then, one day, I decided I was going to race bikes again. And win.

No hahahaha.

Then, I decided I was going to do Ironmans, again.

The doctor who told me I’d never run again, and offered me dope script got my first finishers medal. Walked in, handed it to him, turned on my heel, and walked out.

Sometime in the middle there we went broke and were homeless.

Now?

I enjoy The Present every day.

Find the joy in the moment. Visualize your body healing itself. When the pulses of pain come, think of them as beacons. To those beacons, send your healing thoughts.

Slow and steady, Brother. Baby steps.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Bro, you’re golden! Up on a walker and moving legs is great! I STILL can’t feel the toes on my left foot, and likely never will again.
    Which, they tingle and spark sometimes, but have no normal tactile senses and remain immobile. I can’t lift the toes with my mind, as it were.

I was unable to move or, really, even feel my leg, save for the fire and ice, for a year and some change. I experienced some fairly agonizing treatments which actually exacerbated the REAL problem, but eventually just decided to stand up and walk.

Hahahaha. Like Bambi!

I made a cane from a piece of Sequoia, and I keep it to this day. I used it for months.

Then, one day, I decided I was going to run again.

Hahahaha. Like Bambi.

Then, one day, I decided I was going to race bikes again. And win.

No hahahaha.

Then, I decided I was going to do Ironmans, again.

The doctor who told me I’d never run again, and offered me dope script got my first finishers medal. Walked in, handed it to him, turned on my heel, and walked out.

Sometime in the middle there we went broke and were homeless.

Now?

I enjoy The Present every day.

Find the joy in the moment. Visualize your body healing itself. When the pulses of pain come, think of them as beacons. To those beacons, send your healing thoughts.

Slow and steady, Brother. Baby steps.

Peace,
    Robert
    I think you might have just earned another nickname, Bambi.

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I think you might have just earned another nickname, Bambi.

If I were only THAT gangly, I’d be SO happy.

Peace,
    Robert

Rattling the teacups.

Up and about on a walker already, that's fantastic!

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Talking to the staff in the trauma unit, walking again was by no means certain. I'm pretty happy about being able to use my legs. This was before I got the splint on my right hand.

Fortunately, insurance is good. ( I hope)

IMG_20190727_134328_01.jpg
    Awesome you're healing well and quickly!

Wonderful to see you up and walking You’ve got a lot of what the Finnish people call “sisu”.

Btw, YOU have been selected BROTM of AUGUST.

Aargh
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Thank you. I suspect my contributions are going to be limited and somewhat focused on this new opportunity for personal growth. Apologies in advance.

I’m going to try not to talk about the pain much. It’s like an entity here with me. I will say that the arm they filleted and screwed back together 4(?) days ago rates 0 pain. And the back this morning was a 10. I guess pain is good though as long as it heals.

We were making pretty good progress on the cabin. There was a lot of stuff i wanted to do myself next. The physical therapist said not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. That’s going to be a tough limitation. I guess I will start with walking.

The beams are about done. We are within sight of ice/water shield, roof, and tyvek.

i appreciate you good folk being around to lean on.

5C0DE832-ACB5-4667-800E-2C8F71E61480.jpg

That does look good, Tom. The crew will follow through with getting the roof on?

Thanks. Between the carpenter and roofer think can get done.

Good to see you on your feet. Amazing really...

Heal well Tom.

I've still got nerve pain in my right leg from rolling my 4WD ride on mower at the beginning of November 2017. Four fractured vertebrae, three fractured ribs, compound tib/fib break, my whole back was a haematoma, cuts and grazes everywhere and four weeks in hospital. I'm very lucky to be alive.

Sounds like you are too! Good life lesson right there! I pinch myself almost every day.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Jesus.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Oh man, what a bummer! Here's to the miracles of modern medicine and a quick, thorough recovery.

I went thru some severe pain during my cancer treatment and learned an amazing technique to manage it. I've passed this along to several folks over the years and have had positive feedback. I'll offer this for what it's worth and hope you and anyone else find it useful.

Pain is an extremely valuable sensation - indispensable to survival. If you hit your thumb with a hammer it hurts. Your body is telling your brain, “HEY, there’s something wrong here!” If you stub your toe, sprain your wrist, have a stomach ache, whatever the circumstance, your brain needs to know - “HEY, there’s something wrong here and you need to do something about it!” That’s the purpose of pain, to communicate a situation to the brain so we can respond to it.

But what if we already know about the injury? We don’t need the pain – the message has been delivered so now pain serves no purpose and can be anywhere from a nuisance to absolutely debilitating. Drug companies make billions on pain control and thank heaven for relief in whatever form you can get it - pills, injections, salve, powder, acupuncture, ground up leaves and bark - anything that works.

But what if there was a way to control pain without the undesirable and often serious side effects of pain killers? You may have heard about painless dentistry using hypnosis. Here’s something similar.

Mind over matter. The mind can do amazing things. The subconscious mind has been described as being like a three year old - it will believe anything you tell it. There’s not a three year old around who doesn’t believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny. The trick is getting past the conscious brain, the logic filter, to communicate with the subconscious so it can be told what to do. That’s where the audio comes in. Listen to it and relax. The goal is to get into a “twilight”, hovering just between awake and sleep where you’re just barely conscious, where the subconscious mind is most accessible and once there, silently repeat this phrase:
    “I know about this, I’m working on it, you don’t have to tell me anymore.”

Visualize the volume knob on a radio as being your pain controller and slowly turn it down. Ideally you’ll repeat this until you drift off to sleep and let your subconscious go into overdrive.

The subconscious may be like a three year old but it knows your secrets and it knows if you’re lying. The secret to getting this to work is that you actually have to “work on it” as you say you are.

How to do that. Visualize the source of the pain in your body. Google a picture of your condition so you can literally see what causes it. As an example, when the surgeon had stitched my thumb up after a run in with a table saw, I visualized being a white corpuscle traveling through the blood vessels of my hand. Along the way, I’d pick up a piece of shattered bone, mend the end of a tendon or stretch out a severed nerve to reattach and sooth it. During radiation treatments for cancer, I’d go through the relaxation routine and visualize the cancer cells being vaporized when the “ray gun” was on, then,
    when it turned off, I'd see blood rushing in to heal and nourish the neighboring damaged cells – all the time repeating, “I know about this, I’m working on it, you don’t have to tell me anymore.” During chemo sessions, I’d see the chemicals breaking down the walls of the cancer and the dead cells being hauled away by white blood cells– all the time repeating, “I know about this, I’m working on it, you don’t have to tell me anymore.”

Let that be your constant mantra and constantly visualize your body healing itself. “I know about this, I’m working on it, you don’t have to tell me anymore.”

Here's a link to the relaxation audio mentioned above.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7h...w?usp=drivesdk

Best of everything buddy.

Hang in there. It's gonna be a slog, but I'm sure you can do it.

Tom,

Please start walking barefooted as soon as possible, too. The stimulation of the soles of your feet will help speed nerve and muscle recovery.
    That’s one of the things I learned from Superman, and it helps me regain feeling and control faster than any m discos imagine possible.

Our feet are just like our hands, you know, sensitivity wise.

Also, the barefooted walking will help rebuild musculoskeletal systems from the ground up, literally.

Just a a few minutes a day on novel surfaces, like marble, carpet, concrete, grass... Just random stimulation to get the feet “thinking”, again.

Peace,
    Robert

Thanks guys. Moved to the rehab hospital today. Will give these techniques a try.

#95.
    Useful post……. Meditation helps to set pain aside, but there is a technique to be learned

All the best for rehab.

Nice to have comms back up.

I've settled into a routine now that I'm back home. Eat, sleep, repeat. Both the ortho and the neurologist say no physical therapy for 4 more weeks.Can't stay in one place for too long. Mostly rotate between two chairs and the bed. Gentle short walks only

Muscle mass is melting away at alarming rate. Back pain pretty severe. Don't know about surgery yet Left hand is still pretty much a dead fish. Going to be quite a hole to climb out of.

Still grateful I can walk. Docs and nurses have pointed out that things could have been quite different if I'd hit my head. Carpenter correctly points out that actual day was about 14 feet.

Good news is no rain and carpenter has agreed to finish roof deck and sheathing. Then I can deploy the roofer and be relatively weathered in for 6 months or so. Hope to be back on my feet by then.

Thanks for listening.

Tom

#93. John.
    Interesting, I learned years ago when climbing how to put pain to one side while you got on with what was necessary. It's still there but you can still function. I would guess however tht depends on the level and the injury.

The method you describe is similar to breath and temperature control I learned when working as a diver.

Progress Tom - glad to see the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Could you use some reading material?
    I have a languishing library of interesting boat books looking for a home
    (PM an address and I'll send them along)
    Thanks Jake! That's quite a box of books. Needed help getting it in. Will keep me busy for a while. Very kind of you.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Pain can be good sometimes and not others. It will pass and be a bit*h but, recovery is coming.

Why do I say this? I've learned as an EMT that if you walk into a room and find twins toddlers); one screaming it's head off and the other silent, check out the silent one first.

Good luck on your recovery. At least winter is coming and you ain't sailing until next spring/summer.

How ya feeling Bluedog? How goes your recovery?

my apologies for my previous post on the subject which was quite insensitive
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Thanks, but no idea which post you are referring to so it must not have been too bad. The sense of humor post?

Apparently, right in the middle of the bone healing process. No physical therapy for at least 3 more weeks. So I sit, and lay down, and sit. Quite a change from 7 days a week dawn to dusk go, go, go out in the heat.

Broke down and bought a TV for the living room. Amazing what you can get these days. 50 inch, 4k, $300 after tax. Without meaning to, I've been tending towards submarine movies. Maybe it's the trapped theme.

Not to complain to much but having disabilities (hopefully temporary) sucks rocks. Only one hand and a 5 lb lift limit. A little preview of old age.

Anyway, just serving a prison sentence at this point. Hoping the left hand comes back and hoping the back heals and stops hurting. And hoping for no back surgery. Time will tell.

A little worried about my confidence on the construction site after I heal. Like starting up the table saw after losing a couple of fingers. It's not going to be the same but there is work needs doing.

Still very happy I can walk, and didn't hit my head, or break the pelvis, etc.

The carpenter is supposed to finish the sheathing starting tomorrow. Then I can get the roofer out. Hate that I can't be there to do some quality control.

Thanks for checking in.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Carpenter correctly points out that actual day was about 14 feet.
    You are very lucky. 14 feet is more than high enough for the human body to completely rotate to a head down position. In fact we lost a co-worker a few years ago from a similar height. He was working on the bleachers in our ballroom and stepped back into thin air, landing on the back of his head and shoulders. He lived about 10 hours before passing. Thankfully he never regained consciousness to know how much pain he was in.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama