Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing wooden boats on youtube

Default Sharing wooden boats on youtube

Hello again!

I want to make a thread about how to make good inspiring videos about our wooden boats videos and sharing on youtube. I have a youtube channel, and I want to get better at making videos. I also want to share my favourite youtube channels, and hope others can share links to good channels about wooden boats. I am starting to learn about how youtube works with titles thumbnails, tags and how youtube select suggested videos etc. I believe there is a lot of good videos and channels, you wont discover, because its made in a way making it harder to search and find.

So let us share our channels and our favourites here, and discuss what is a good way of sharing our passsion for wooden boats!

Here is my channel. primarly wooden boats here:

Here is some of my favourite channels:

Please share your favourite youtube channel , boatbuilding sailing and restoration of wooden boat

I also want a discussion about making good videos

Here is my headliner:

Cheers!

Default Re: Sharing wooden boats on youtube

Nice list! You're obviously more into tech than I am I get into U-Tube about once every 2 months, but I'm sure I'll enjoy some of those. Thanks!

Great idea, and nice list of links.
    -Dave

CHANNELS: My Classic Boat https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDz...UCYJOaJYXWHbbQ
    Out of modesty, I will omit my own new channel which boasts 2 subscribers and up to 2 likes per video (or at least one more than dislikes). P.S. for videos with 0 likes, I wonder if like-clicking your own is ethical or useful in pump-priming shy viewers Probably unjustifiable to subscribe to one's own channel, but based on much higher viewcounts they must be being pushed by youtube-recommended anyway. Or search bots?

CAMERAS: Do you have to use expensive Gopros, and do they have to be waterproof or have such a case? There are many Gopro clones at half the price or less, but I can tell you they loosely use the description of waterproof or resistant. They can leak or have bad stabilization but sometimes record well.

CAMERA SETTINGS: I assume we should strive for HD range or better. I did find out that interlaced recordings come out bad, with Youtube merely discarding every other frame. I fixed it by conversion with VLC which is more than just a player. I think a frame rate of 60 looks better than the standard 30, especially for fast moving spray. But if you max out the resolution and frame rate, it can seem to stutter at least playing on certain devices. Maybe 720p/60fps is good for now, but will look poor in future?

YOUTUBE STUDIO: To get anything done, you have to go into their studio. Half of everything can only be done on one of their 2 studios - legacy vs beta. It's crazy human factors and seems unprofessional, but hard to complain about a free service. Thoroughly scrutinize your own videos on both of these tools, because they can carry surprising default settings. Sometimes best to first release a video as unlisted or private, although it can be hard to re-find it for resetting to public. I have had uploads crash and just some crippled video gets released to subscribers for instance.

P.S. for Norwegians: I was surprised to find the latest DNA ancestry tests now give resolution WITHIN Norway. For instance in the past I only saw the famous Y group Viking gene, but now they rate my genes as one quarter from Lillehammer, just like our records say. And the rest from north coast, agreeing with 650 years of birth records.
    Last edited by rudderless; 07-25-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    "Liberalism, once professing to advocate liberty, now is a movement for control over property, trade, work, amusements, education, and religion" - Russell Kirk

Fred,

thanks for the thread. I'll be watching to see what I can learn. A few questions I've run into in my own video efforts:

1. How are people dealing with wind noise? It tends to be overpowering at times.

2. What are people's thoughts on soundtrack options: Ambient sounds only? Music at times? Narration?

And a few things I've learned:

I don't like the fish-eye Go-Pro look. I use a fairly cheap Nikon point-and-shoot with full HD video. Not waterproof, but takes good pictures and video. Most important for longer trips, it runs on AA batteries, so you can always make sure to carry enough extras to keep filming.

I also have found a little adjustable tripod AND a telescoping monopod to be a good combination. I am able to wrap the tripod legs around the monopod, and lash the monopod to the boat, to get a little "outside the boat" perspective. The tripod alone helps getting video with me in the frame so it's not all boring over-the-bow shots.

I use the old Microsoft Movie Maker software that came installed on my laptop to edit videos together--works fairly well, but the program seems to be no longer available (or at least not free).

I like to include some kind of map or Google Earth images to help people track progress on longer trips--I always love having maps to follow along.

Here's a video log I put together from a 2017 trip:

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

And another two-part video from 2018. Part I:

You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

And Part II:

Any ideas, or specific feedback on what works and what doesn't in my videos (what you like, what you don't, what's missing, what should be cut, etc), would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Fred,

thanks for the thread. I'll be watching to see what I can learn. A few questions I've run into in my own video efforts:

1. How are people dealing with wind noise? It tends to be overpowering at times.

2. What are people's thoughts on soundtrack options: Ambient sounds only? Music at times? Narration?

And a few things I've learned:

I don't like the fish-eye Go-Pro look. I use a fairly cheap Nikon point-and-shoot with full HD video. Not waterproof, but takes good pictures and video. Most important for longer trips, it runs on AA batteries, so you can always make sure to carry enough extras to keep filming.

I also have found a little adjustable tripod AND a telescoping monopod to be a good combination. I am able to wrap the tripod legs around the monopod, and lash the monopod to the boat, to get a little "outside the boat" perspective. The tripod alone helps getting video with me in the frame so it's not all boring over-the-bow shots.

I use the old Microsoft Movie Maker software that came installed on my laptop to edit videos together--works fairly well, but the program seems to be no longer available (or at least not free).

I like to include some kind of map or Google Earth images to help people track progress on longer trips--I always love having maps to follow along.

Here's a video log I put together from a 2017 trip:

Tom
    A few thoughts, since you asked.

A little music can be nice. For a video as long as this one I think some narrative would be good. Maybe start with an introduction of yourself, and when you tell us you got a new boat stop and tell us more about it. Just like when you’re telling us a story when you write up a trip here, in a similar way you are telling a story with your video.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Fre

I like the mapping of the route, and it was a nice scenary Tom! BTW you got a new subscriber . If you want some feedback I will say that the still pictures could be still pictures, but as video, if you understand. I have some still pics in some of my video, but I am not satisfied with that. I will try to shoot videos, but with the camera in a stable position for the camera, instead of still photos, when the scenery is suited for that.

I use an ordinary gopro and my Samsung Note phones camera. I plan on buying a gimbal when I have money for it. I sometimes use an oar for selfiestick. With gopro you only need 2 meters outside the boat to see the whole boat also from the side. Some of my first video I used a cheap action-camera from ebay, but the quality is a lot better on the gopro, and also on the phone.

Me and a friend plan on taking a trip later this summer. We have talked about making a film as one of the goals for the trip. One thing we plan is to stop, set the camera on shore and let it take shots as we aproach an iland or beach etc. to make variations in the film. I think making a film will give the trip some extra value :-)

So far I have not filmed myself talking in my videos, but watching others make me think thats a good thing to do sometimes. To explain about the boat, where you are, and make a frame/presentation of what we do.

I use music in some of my videos. I think as an intro it works ok, but I think it should be faded away, or be low volum thru the rest of the video. The risk of using music is that people who like wooden boats might have very different taste in music. As an example I like heavy metal, but I cant play "AvengedSevenfold" in the background of my videos, as that might scare some people away I use music from the youtube audioarchive https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music

I have found a free videoeditor I like and use now: https://shotcut.org/

Dylan Winters Keep Turning Left series can supply some good composition ideas.
    Being a Linux user I use Openshot to edit my video but most of my stuff is very basic.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Tom, a place like this would be perfect for jumping ashore an place the camera on the rocks, and climb in the boat again and padler past the camera. Then we could se the whole boat, and more of the scenery! agree?

Youtube.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    I like the mapping of the route, and it was a nice scenary Tom! BTW you got a new subscriber . If you want some feedback I will say that the still pictures could be still pictures, but as video, if you understand.
    Fred, can you explain what you mean here? I didn't follow your meaning.

One thing we plan is to stop, set the camera on shore and let it take shots as we aproach an iland or beach etc. to make variations in the film. I think making a film will give the trip some extra value :-)
    I'd love to have this option, but haven't figured out how to rig a remote trigger for my camera. Most cameras seem to link to smart phones to do this kind of thing, but I don't carry a phone. Or own one.

So far I have not filmed myself talking in my videos, but watching others make me think thats a good thing to do sometimes. To explain about the boat, where you are, and make a frame/presentation of what we do.

I have found a free videoeditor I like and use now: https://shotcut.org/
    Thanks for the feedback!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    A few thoughts, since you asked.

A little music can be nice. For a video as long as this one I think some narrative would be good. Maybe start with an introduction of yourself, and when you tell us you got a new boat stop and tell us more about it. Just like when you’re telling us a story when you write up a trip here, in a similar way you are telling a story with your video.
    Good point--thanks. Do you think some footage of setting up camp, meals, etc., would add to the story? I've been considering that, but don't know if that's the kind of stuff people would skip. But I kind of like those parts of Roger Barnes's videos.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Tom, a place like this would be perfect for jumping ashore an place the camera on the rocks, and climb in the boat again and padler past the camera. Then we could se the whole boat, and more of the scenery! agree?

Youtube.jpg
    I did manage to do that on my "Return to Georgian Bay Part I" video, but only for rowing. Without a remote trigger, it takes too long to get back to the boat, hoist the sail, getting everything adjusted and looking good, and then sail past the camera.

The solution for this year is that I think I'll have a second person (in a second boat) along. That makes getting sailing footage much easier!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Dylan Winters Keep Turning Left series can supply some good composition ideas.
    Being a Linux user I use Openshot to edit my video but most of my stuff is very basic.
    I haven't watched one of his in a while--good idea. I was very impressed (he is a pro film-maker, is he not?). Very good quality videos. I'll review some of his episodes.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I love the way Barnes do things in hes videos. He has inspired me and my friend to go camp-cruising. There is a lot of "bow-perspective" videos of boats on youtube, so I believe more variety is good. When you have looked at the boat for a while, you want to know more about where it sails, who buildt it, who is the man behind the camera etc. I think if people get inspired by the videos, its worth the effort.

I also its important to avoid videos that is too long, unless there is a lot happening. BTW you can add timemarkers to different part of the video, lets say your day 1, 2 etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNDFKNdE3bM

About still pictures. my opinion is that when a video has still pictures, the motion stops and I loose attention. But video-clips can be fisxed at a t.ex. a boat at the mooring, but it keeps beein alive if you se the water is alive, some birds flying by etc. What I am saying is that I want to avoid using still-pictures/slide shows.

That said its useful to have some good photos for use in the thumbnails, and other stuff like this forum. Sometimes I regrett only filming, and not taking pictures.

One of mine, it could have been edited a bit better.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

I haven't read the whole thread but the use of drone cameras has made some amateur videos very special. This one for example by Roger Foster, a friend's son (a US national team oarsman): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmJ9...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by rbgarr; 07-26-2019 at 07:45 AM.

I also meant to add that drones can be put on autopilot orbiting mode, and one of the most visually ravishing boat video I have seen does this with a small catamaran (minicat 420?) in the tropics (Tahiti?). Besides the scenery, it is interesting to watch from God's point of view the constant tacking and critique how a singlehander chooses to time the jib changeovers. I don't see this in my Youtube history so maybe it is on Facebook, which recently locked me out since I have no mobile number.

I love ambient sounds of water but not so much the ragged wind, exaggerated from cavity resonance in the pinhole mike. I was thinking of putting foam or porous medical tape over it, or one of those foot bandaids which are like a tiny adhesive foam ring with a void in the middle. Maybe just blue paper tape?

For better water proofing I am gonna try coating camera access doors and seams with silicon grease. This is a miracle product, which I think I will coat my stainless sailing emergency jackknife before it entirely converts to rust.

Musical choices can be an alienating factor, as can long talking-head introductions. Appeal to diverse tastes who may be just dipping in to an unfamiliar world, and let interest deepen naturally with a light touch methinks.

Yesterday I chose to launch in savage shorebreak because it could make an exciting video. I knew that invites an accident, but am kind of overdue giving the boatmaker proof of good results. Bottom line is my camera now lies on the bottom of the ocean, and I have intimate proof that my pre-camera risk limits were well chosen.
    Last edited by rudderless; 07-26-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    "Liberalism, once professing to advocate liberty, now is a movement for control over property, trade, work, amusements, education, and religion" - Russell Kirk

long talking-head introductions.
    I hit the kill switch when I pull up a video and it starts with either a talking head that is clearly going to babble on for awhile, or a shot at home loading up the boat. NO!!! Start out on the water, always.
    -Dave

Good point--thanks. Do you think some footage of setting up camp, meals, etc., would add to the story? I've been considering that, but don't know if that's the kind of stuff people would skip. But I kind of like those parts of Roger Barnes's videos.

Tom
    I think that would be nice. It would give a more expedition like feel to your video and gets us closer to the experience.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I hit the kill switch when I pull up a video and it starts with either a talking head that is clearly going to babble on for awhile, or a shot at home loading up the boat. NO!!! Start out on the water, always.
    How much of an introduction is too much? Clearly you like Leo's Tally Ho Rebuild videos and he starts everyone of them talking into the camera.
    -Jim

Beginner videographers tend to think in a linear, chronological manner. So they start by explaining who they are and what they are going to do, and then lay it out as it happened.

But that's just one way to tell a story, and often it doesn't work well for the listener/viewer. Good story telling involves engaging and holding the audience's attention. One has to begin with something to catch the viewer's interest. At the very least a glimpse of something remarkable, beautiful, scary, unexpected, whatever the story has to offer. If there's a bunch of information that needs to be included, it can always come later, broken up into bite-size pieces is best. And it can be a voice-over. Show us your face, yes, but once we know what it looks like we're good with that. We'd rather enjoy the scenery as you talk.
    -Dave

Sure, that makes sense. It's also a lot different answer than don't do it.
    -Jim

When you do a pan shot, always hold the camera steady on the one point for a few seconds to start with, then pan slowly and pause again for a few seconds.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Well, I was messing around and made this. Feel free to tell me where to fix it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Jfs-fOE_w
    -Jim

Audio is 60 percent video. Start with good audio.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

How do you do that with the phone in your pocket Ted?
    -Jim

Rudderless and you all, be free to link your videos an channels here. I get curious when you describe whay you do 😉

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Well, I was messing around and made this. Feel free to tell me where to fix it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Jfs-fOE_w
    I enjoyed it, thanks for taking me out on Amazon.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

How do you do that with the phone in your pocket Ted?
    like this. made it this morning. An IPhone is a remarkable device.

A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Sprewall punt cruise. Shot and edited on iPhone 6.

As well on a iPhone 6.

Tools of my video hobby. I find the dead cat mic mini to mini is too much a burden to carry. A clip on lav is good for quiet places or if you want to do a narritive. Far better to do that in post.

3D3CFA35-F4CC-438B-9A6C-6375464346DC.jpg

My professional equipment consists of several productions packages, a few fly packs.

i still love the contours for form factor and ease of use. you can get an adapter to read the sdcard from a phone or smart pad if you want to get wild.

5C01240A-DD48-40AE-BABF-2FE19A5C28E4.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-27-2019 at 01:08 PM.