Thread: Davey & Co. Hardware

Default Davey & Co. Hardware

Got this in the Email this AM. LOOKS LIKE Seattle's Fisheries Supply is putting a bunch of hardware from Davey & Co. on sale. No idea what kind of a discount it might be, but ...

https://mailchi.mp/fisheriessupply.c...9?e=b20a31daf5

https://www.fisheriessupply.com
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: Davey & Co. Hardware

I clicked though and looked at bronze snap shackles on the Fisheries' site. They were a couple bucks off.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Real old school. I have these and these on Peerie Maa, probably fitted before 1950, although I think that the rudder gudgeons and pintles are Simpson Lawrence.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Beautiful stuff on the display rack in the Fisheries store. I would love to have some but it would have to be a pretty deep discount before I could afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I clicked though and looked at bronze snap shackles on the Fisheries' site. They were a couple bucks off.
    The skim thru I did made it look like the bulk of everything was about 10% off. Maybe there's an especial bargain or two hiding in there, but didn't see it myself.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Great stuff but so pricey these days. Back when we had Perko and Wilcox-Crittenden pumping out similar fittings here in the US, it really wasn't anything near what they want for it now, adjusted for inflation even. It's amazing how the aluminum, stainless, and pot metal fittings took over and displaced the bronze. Now, aside from a few specialty boutiques doing custom casting work (e.g. Pt. Townsend Foundry,) Davey and Co. and Toplicht are pretty much the only options for a wide selection of traditional fittings and gear.

Marine consignment stores are the best option, imho. It's lame that Second Wave moved out of Fremont over to Gig Harbor, but good for Gig Harbor. I need to swing in there next time I wander that way. There was also a good marine consignment store in Poulsbo for a year or two but they seemed to have disappeared. I scored a nice snap shackle there for nickels on the pound. Anybody have any idea where they got off to?

NW Maritime Center has one in Port Townsend. Looking forward to my next visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I thought the one in Poulsbo was just doing an extended closure for a remodel and expansion.

Are you talking about these guys? https://www.facebook.com/longshipstore/ Looks like they've opened in a new building. Love their store! I scored an end vise & Acme thread there. Could spend hours poking around.

I sold Davey and Co. hardware back in the middle/late 70s during the Great Wooden Boat Scare. Their catalog was a hardback book. The office was in East India Docks; I understand now it is shelter for yupsters. They would have suppliers make the stuff after they received orders. They were very Olde England way of doing things.