Thread: 500-Year-Old Shipwreck Has Turned Up Perfectly Intact on Bottom of The Baltic Sea

Default 500-Year-Old Shipwreck Has Turned Up Perfectly Intact on Bottom of The Baltic Sea

Laying on the muddy floor of the frigid inland Baltic Sea, scientists have found an almost perfectly preserved and intact shipwreck, undisturbed for hundreds of years.

Based on its incredible preservation, archaeologists have been able to date the ship back to the Renaissance. That's around the late 15th or early 16th century CE, the time of Christopher Columbus and Leonardo da Vinci.

The precise origin of the ship is unknown. It's from a time before naming ships was common; for now, it's been labelled Okänt Skepp - "Unknown Ship" in Swedish.
    READ MORE AT.....
    500-Year-Old Shipwreck Has Turned Up Perfectly Intact on Bottom of The Baltic Sea (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: 500-Year-Old Shipwreck Has Turned Up Perfectly Intact on Bottom of The Baltic Sea

Wow, that has held up well, what did they paint it with? Straight arsenic? (I know, probably just cold, deep, low oxygen water.)
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Default Re: 500-Year-Old Shipwreck Has Turned Up Perfectly Intact on Bottom of The Baltic Sea

You beat me to it Sharpie. There’s some interesting details on this wreck.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Speaking of old, a 2000 year old Roman boat wreck is displayed in a new Herculaneum museum funded by Packard of HP. Herc was closer to the volcano than Pompeii, yet carbonized wood survives. Seems to be little web info on it - Italy isn't so much enthralled by the internet yet. I hope this one survives longer than the Nemi Roman pleasure barges, which were destroyed by WW2 a few years after excavation.

"Liberalism, once professing to advocate liberty, now is a movement for control over property, trade, work, amusements, education, and religion" - Russell Kirk

Are they sure that ship on the bottom of the Baltic isn't just Blind Faith which drifted over, submerged, with the tides?

No way Blind Faith could have made it this far

That Roman ship is Amazing! In addition, this 153 year old schooner was just rescued from a sandy grave in New Zealand. The boat is an amazing state of preservation due to the protection of the beach sands. We can thank Chris McMullen for sending this.
    Jay
    http://joan-druett.blogspot.com/2018...ed-entire.html
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-03-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo_N62.9_E27.7 View Post
    No way Blind Faith could have made it this far
    I expect that beach combers are finding loads of tarry oak boards washing up on the strand.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I was wondering what that structure between the capstan and mast was. Guess it's the bilge pump they referred to? Kind of looks like a pick-ax sticking out of it?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    That Roman ship is Amazing! In addition, this 153 year old schooner was just rescued from a sandy grave in New Zealand. The boat is an amazing state of preservation due to the protection of the beach sands. We can thank Chris McMullen for sending this.
    Jay
    http://joan-druett.blogspot.com/2018...ed-entire.html
    "Scavengers have already taken to a 153-year-old shipwreck with a chainsaw, despite warnings to stay away. A New Zealand Defence Force spokesperson said the theft occurred right after archeologists visited the site at Muriwai beach, north-west Auckland, on May 27.
    "Overnight Tuesday the stern handrail and a large portion of the front rigging of the wreck were removed by chainsaw," the spokesperson said."

Modfification of a leg by chainsaw should be the penalty……………..

wow!,..... Amazing. Part of me thinks it would be great to be able to examine that if brought back to the surface, .... but then I realize there is no better way to preserve it than to leave it right where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Are they sure that ship on the bottom of the Baltic isn't just Blind Faith which drifted over, submerged, with the tides?

What did happen to blind faith?
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.