Thread: Mast height of H28 Sloop

Default Mast height of H28 Sloop

Trying to find the bridge clearance for a sloop rigged H28...most likely found on later boats or plastic ones. I've read LFH designed a sloop rig option but haven't been able to find it for any of them. I know they were originally designed as a ketch. Anyone have that info?

Default Re: Mast height of H28 Sloop

This may help.
    www.h28.org.nz

This has info about the NZ manufactured h28's.
    Nb they are a little changed. 29'7" loa and 4' draft. Part of the extra length is due to increased freeboard.
    The extra draft was to allow the use of less dense metal punchings encapsulated in resin and glass.
    The COG was probably not much changed.
    Z

Thanks, I've already searched that site but couldn't find mast height measurements for any of the "clone" H28s. I'm considering a glass "clone" (same specs as original) and inches matter with the bridge I have to go under. I read somewhere that LHF designed a sloop rig for the h28 around 1945 but can't find it documented. Being a low aspect rig I think I'm ok at 41' but will probably have to measure the boat to make sure.

Why don't you just haul one end of a tape measure up to the top of the mast with a halyard? Measure to the base of the mast, and then add the height of the mast base above the water, and voila, you know your bridge clearance. If there is anything above the sheave at the masthead like a radio antenna, add a stick of known length to what you are hauling up, and observe when it reaches the top of whatever is atop the mast. Relying on specifications for the boat may end up in a smashed masthead if anyone has modified the mast from the design specified.

I have a set of drawings for the sloop mast rig on the H28 as I am planning to change the rig on "Bright Star" to a taller main but with the mizzen at the original height. I will have to dig them out to give you an exact dimension. Off hand, the sloop mast is approximately four feet taller than the original ketch mast.
    Jay

Thanks Jay, that helps. I'm reading LFH's book showing approx 34'+- height for the ketch. Another 4'-6' should be a realistic guesstimate to get under 41'. I'm looking at an estate sale and they can't give info on the boat...otherwise a 7 hr road trip to measure.

Are you adding ballast for the sloop rig? I cruised an H28 ketch built with 3500lbs and it still rested pretty much on the 3.5' draft. It was built in 1965 (I bought it in 1972) so I always figured more ballast was an evolution due to experience from earlier yrs. It was still very tender but motion oh so sweet when the seas piped up.

I doubt that added ballast will be needed Bill. But an extra set of reef points will defiantly be necessary! Adding a higher aspect ratio to the main for light airs should greatly enhance the light wind performance of the H 28 both on and off the wind. We intend to keep the mizzen as a mizzen staysl or asymetrical chute can be flown off the wind from it. With the taller mast and a set of jumpers, a chute can be flown from the main as well without the fear of breaking the stick as the former owners did three times!

I have not pulled the drawings out but will do so tomorrow if you need an accurate measurement.
    Let me know.
    Jay

PS. I went ahead and pulled the drawing out for you Bill. LFH lists the sloop mast as being 38' 10 1/2" over all, in length, which includes the tongue. JG
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 07-27-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Another point about the rig of the H28 is that Skipper did include a plan for running backstays on the original drawings. It being on a single small piece of paper that I had never taken note of until yesterday. I did install a set of running backstays on "Bright Star"
    after the main mast had been broken on three occasions. By former owners. Had they been aboard and used, I am of the belief that the mast would have remained intact! I can highly recommend adding a set if you have not done so already. Even with the set of jumpers that he drew up for the sloop mast, there are times when the extra support gives support of mind as well.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 08-22-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks Jay, that's all I need. It should be well under 41'. Yep, running backs are better to have and not need than need and not have.
    Good luck with your conversion.

We don't use them in light airs but when it starts to blow up, the running backs really help Bill. Jib stay is straight and the rig does not pump.
    Jay

Is your mast built to original specs? My old H28 is probably the only sailboat I've owned that didn't need running backs in any seas or winds you would keep sails up in...but I think it was an over sized (in cross section) box spar without jumpers.

FYI: I passed on the H28 sloop I was looking at buying. Still looking but really want a ketch anyway.

Sorry it didn't work out. I was living vicariously through you and could just see the tip of the mast clearing the trusses of the bridge as we came onto the other side.
    A friend gave me the Sensible Cruising Designs by L.F. Herreshoff and I have come close to wearing it out. It's Introduction are the last words he wrote for publication in the winter of 72. Some of it I believe is a collection of publications out of the Rudder from the 40's and 50's. His construction mythology and description of onboard gear are a great read no matter where they are and the H28 are some of my favorites.
    Well, got to go. I hear some tools that are still calling my name.
    John
    Last edited by John Howland; 08-20-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Bill, I also have the plans for both rigs but Jay will likely get to his before I get to either them or my mast to measure it (I’m working way from home) - but from memory my mast (sloop rig) is a bit over 41’.

It sits a little further aft than on the ketch rigged H28. I don’t know if mine was originally built as a ketch but at some stage an early owner moved the mast back about 18-20” or so.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"